Has any of your drums or hardware dissapointed you on stage?

Timekeep69

Not my gear but I played a show where another band provided a drum set for all the bands to use and the floor tom kept falling over.

DRUMSMYWIFE

I want my onw because everything is setup to your specifications and it just feels right you know. You play better when you know your kit. But that Yamaha kit they provided was pretty niice.

Hot2mala

i had a tour a while back and it was in the winter. we were kinda late to the show so we had to set up immediately and my drums didnt get time to warm up. sure enough... first snare hit of the show, snare head.. broken. i'l admit tho-i did have fun trying to substitute a snare the rest of the song

SGarrett

Hahaha. Oh yeah. If you don't have accidents you either aren't paying your dues or you aren't trying hard enough. :D

drumsforlife

I once had a screw on one of my cymbal stands strip out on me right before a show and I tried to "quickie" fix it with duct tape. The only thing was this show was outside and the sun started to melt the "sticky" on the tape and my cymbal slowly started creeping south on me. That sucked, big time. Needless to say I was dropping $119 on a stronger more sturdy boom stand at my local music store the next day. A bit of advice: be sure you have good equipment if you're going to be playing a show at a swimming pool party.

dedrummervanrolf

oh man, I hate it when stuff like that happens..bassdrums slipping, loose floortombrackets, you know the wires that hold your snarestrands to the shell (sorry, don't know the name), they've cracked several times. Boomstands can be pretty annoying too. One time, the beater of my basspedal just slipped down the thing while playing..that sucked. well, they happen a lot. unfortunately.

xdoseonex

drumsforlife":2h6uz4n7 said:
I once had a screw on one of my cymbal stands strip out on me right before a show and I tried to "quickie" fix it with duct tape. The only thing was this show was outside and the sun started to melt the "sticky" on the tape and my cymbal slowly started creeping south on me. That sucked, big time. Needless to say I was dropping $119 on a stronger more sturdy boom stand at my local music store the next day. A bit of advice: be sure you have good equipment if you're going to be playing a show at a swimming pool party.
thats so expensive for a boomstand. i just bought a heavy duty double baced boom stand off ebay for $50

SGarrett

Back before good cymbals stands were as low cost as they are today, I used to have to tape down a lightweight stand for every gig or practice. I had an 18" Z Custom Rock Crash on it (from before the tonal grooves ruined the sound) and if I didn't duck it down, it fell over on me every time I hit it. Ah, the good ol' days. :D

drumsforlife

xdoseonex":29lf6mm3 said:
drumsforlife":29lf6mm3 said:
thats so expensive for a boomstand. i just bought a heavy duty double baced boom stand off ebay for $50
I was using the retail sticker price. My buddy Bird at the store always gives me a decent discount. I think I ended up paying more like $70. I didn't want to make it sound like I was buying cheap stuff, ya know?

Mikeyferrara

Yamaha Pedals break on me everytime, bad luck I guess. I love their cymbal stands. That and the yamaha "toothless" tilt gear snare stand. The damn think realies on rubber gaskets to brake the 2 parts. Bad idea, mine slipped everysingle show and let me down alot!

I like like the road pro Tama, or DW, even pearl stuff too.

I had my DW 9000 double bass pedal playing at a show one night... and the left pedal kept getting caught at the darn high hat stand... Never happened before, ever... but we were having to play on some wooden floor and I had forgotten my "Lucky Zebra Rug"...

Don't make fun, you know you have a lucky animal print Rug that you can't live without either... lol

either way, had to do without double for a night, reminded me of my punk days when I'd double with my single pedal... lol

m

the only brand I've had enough trouble with to qualify as a 'disappointment' would be Gibraltar.
I would never gig with their gear, because I've already had too much difficulty with it at home or in the studio.
I don't trust it at all anymore.

SuNoAnBuKi

I was playing a local show one time in front of about 150 - 200 people and had my boom stand holding my 19" crash fall over and land on top of my rack tom. I kept playing, but my bass player had to stop and come put it back into place. One other time, when I was still using my Camco pedal, the nut at the bottom that keeps the spring tension in place came loose and I had to finish 3/4 of a song with no bass drum.

xrftsx

FaceTheFallingDrummer":1gb4oawt said:
I had my DW 9000 double bass pedal playing at a show one night... and the left pedal kept getting caught at the darn high hat stand... Never happened before, ever... but we were having to play on some wooden floor and I had forgotten my "Lucky Zebra Rug"...

Don't make fun, you know you have a lucky animal print Rug that you can't live without either... lol

either way, had to do without double for a night, reminded me of my punk days when I'd double with my single pedal... lol

true that , i use my old car rug that has like a town on it, i used to play cars on that thine hahaha.

drumsforlife

FaceTheFallingDrummer":2p8qy582 said:
I always have my Zebra rug with me. I never gig without it!

Rob the Drummer

One time I took my bass drum pedal apart and cleaned it up. Well, during a show soon after, the spring kept slowing coming loose over and over. Turned out, I forgot to put the lock washer on the right part! :wink: I didn't realize their importance until that night!