Hart Dynamics

drumrdave

Hey all,

I've done lots of research on the "next gen" electronic kits, and as far as tech specs go, I think I've settled on the Hart Dynamics "Professional" series as my next practice kit. I currently have Roland V's, which have been decent, but I HATE the rubber cymbal pads, and have found most of the drums and other hardware overly fragile. I have only one problem: I have no dealer remotely near me where I can play these. Has anyone here played these? Thoughts? Reviews? Etc?

Thanks for the input!

m

I had a Hart Pro snare and bass, and have used several models of their cymbals, including the plastic and metal versions.

I had to send the snare in twice for servicing. The sensor assembly gave me lots of trouble. Bass design has disadvantages in my opinion, caused me problems on 2 different gigs. Input jack is underneath the drum, really bad ergonomics. The 2 leg config (as opposed to Rolands 4) can also be a problem if you don't double-check and tighten them between sets. If you're just using it for at-home practice, though, maybe these won't be an issue for you. I got rid of them, my Rolands have never let me down like those Harts.

The Harts LOOK great; the hammered silver and piano black are really nice, but they just weren't dependable enough for me. Other folks seem to be using them without problems, so maybe I just was destined to be the one negative statistic, I dunno.

The cymbals are OK. I liked them better than the Rolands, never did go back to my Roland V-cymbals. I sold them all. The Harts have a weird feel and 'thwack' impact sound, but they were plenty responsive and sensitive, sensor-wise. I used them till I found Smartrigger-
real cymbals with triggers attached, and muted with a gel coat layer underneath. These are what I stuck with till switching to acoustic cymbals.

I've got a bunch of Smartriggers and Hart cymbals that I'm not doing anything with any more if you end up shopping for cymbals.

Cheapskate

I had the same issue with my v's
but I found a roland mesh head (in the Box) on ebay for 160 or so, it made a world of difference just to replace the snare with mesh, my wrist stopped hurting and the kit is much more fun to play.

WhiteOleander

yup same here, at the moment I still have a Roland TD6V, and all in all im pleased with it, even though the cymbals (especially the hihat) are incredibly annoying.. but i only use it for practicing in my appartment at late hours, so for that purpose I can't complain, it works fine =)

drumrdave

So I guess the logical follow up question is: If not hart and roland, then what else is out there of serious pro level quality? I'm a gigging/touring/studio musician who's looking for this as a piece for piece match for my acoustic rig - which is no easy task at it's an 11 piece monstrocity with about 10000 cymbals, and gear that I can integrate electronice live as situations call for it.

drumrdave

I think every single clamp that came with my V's has snapped or cracked in some way, and I've fount that the triggers themselves really lose sensitivity very quickly (I noticed this playing the "floor models" of the v's at my local music shops as well) .

m

Which model clamps/rack/V's do you have?
I think just about every V-user I've chatted with (at Vdrums.com or Edrum forums) has swapped out the old plastic Roland clamps to newer models, or Gibraltar metal clamps. I sure did.

The sensor cones are meant to be replaced eventually. Not sure how fast yours are degrading on ya, but I haven't noticed any trouble there. I've been gigging with PD120s and 100s for about 4 years now, and my sensor cones have lasted at least 2 years before replacing, some even longer.
My Hart snare only took a couple months to go south on me.

I just reconfigured my Ekit to match my A kit too, I think that's a great idea. The drum sizes may not correspond exactly, but at least everything's in the right place.
Hope you find the setup that will make you happy~

putraafropunk

Hey if you need any more info or have any more questions I'd be happy to help. I own 2 Hart Pro Kits and have been playing edrums for many years. I'm actually just about to post for some help on acoustics, as I've recently decided to gig with them again, and have gotten to used to the edrums :oops:

I've also played and experimented with much Roland, Yamaha, Pintech & Kit toys gear. My current kit is litereally like a cocktail.

So if you have any questions I'll try my best to help out.

drumrdave

I Have owned the V-custom since it came out, and am really quite disappointed with it. My acoustic kit is a custom built DW with a very picky selection of Zildjians, so one might say I'm overly anal about feel and response....

I have generally heard that the Hart gear is more durable and responsive than the Roland (obviously I intend to stick with the Roland brain). What are you feelings on them (specifically the cymbals.)? My hope was to get 10 or so working drummer's reviews!

m

I could ship a Hart ECII to ya if you wanted to check one out, I've got a bunch sitting around that I'll be selling soon.

are you buying new, if you decide to go with Hart? I've got a splash, some crashes and 2 chinas that I'll probably sell off to fund some acoustic gear after NAMM...

drumrdave

I had planned on going new, but I wouldn't mind testing one, and if they're in decent shape I'd consider used

i destroyed my hart prodigy kit...they suck..i took the triggers out of the pads..and put them on my tama...and i used the bass pad as a practice pad....and the only thing good about it is...the alesis dm5 brain..