Hanging floor toms - are they stable?

bunnybunny

I have noticed that on a lot of kits with smaller tom sizes they have a hanging tom rather than a floor tom with legs. I was thinking about getting one, but I don't have a chance to try it near my place. Assuming that you have a good stand and good hardware are these things stable? It just seems to me that they would be bouncing and shaking all over the place, am I wrong? Thanx

Jaki

lol well it depends on what type of osund u want eventually... a hanging floor tom as ya put it will resonate more as it is only attached using 1 side or the star mounting systems that exist.... i personally choose standing floor toms as they dont bounce around, the sound dosn't bother me as long as it sounds fine but to some people it can be everything. To me good sound is just the right drum heads for the kit lol ..

m

I've got 2 kits w/ hanging FT's, and they do fine. There's a bit of 'jiggle' but it's not too bad. If you're a 2b basher on a 14" suspended floortom, you might get more bounce than you'd want, but otherwise it's not that bad.
I like the rack/stand options it makes possible.

dugdrummer

i have my 12 and 14 toms hanging..my toms are too deep to get them to a comfortable height...i tried to put the 10 and 12 ona stand offset from the bass drum,but it was kinda diffacult getting from the 12 to the 14..now the 12 and 14 on the floor may look a little silly,but it works... but i have no problem with stability.. but i'm not a basher..yamaha's hardware is pretty damn sturdy..

loop

I have a hanging 14x12 tom(quite heavy because of diecast hoops and starcast mount) and I don't have any 'shakin' problems' with it. It sure isn't as stable as a normal floortom but its bounce is really hard to notice. BTW I wouldn't risk with a 16 hanging floor tom because it can be too heavy and bounce too much

Shalaq

I'd say that Mapex's ITS system is good for hanging toms up to 14 inches. That's why I'm converting my 16 tom-tom to a floor tom in a few days :)

Aeternal

I have a 15X15 and 16X16 hanging toms off a rack. Tama l rods with the RIMS mount. What a sound outta those things.

scenekidsblow

When I first got my dw kit, I had my 14" and 16" toms both mounted off a DW double tom stand. They didn't go anywhere. Very stable, I bumped into the the stand a few times and they didn't..
I see a few people saying 16" aren't too stable, your right they do wobble [sp?] a bit, but the stand held them both up fine.
Though now I just use the 14"

masonvonritchie

I used to have a Pacific fusion kit, which actually sounded pretty nice for a Pacific but it had the hanging tom. It bounced around a little bit but only when I was hittin' hard. It sounded pretty good too.

Animal

Without being an expert on the subject, I'll say that you shouldn't hang anything larger than a 14" tom.

My 14" tom is the largest drum hung up, and all though it goes fine, I certainly wouldn't put something larger (and therefore heavier) on a stand. My 16" and 18" is (of course!) Floor toms.
They would be way too heavy, not to be carried by three legs each, on the floor.

catkel

Ive got a hanging floor tom and its fine. You have to be careful the wy you put the ride stand on the floor like with the legs out certain ways to make it balanced if you get me. But their fine

Scott_Hurford

from what i've found, they are pretty stable if tightened enough, but try not to learn your hand on them...they fall straight down! lol

phee

If you're using DW mounts and hardware, even a 16x14 drum will stay put (nothing larger than that though). DW L-rods are the way to go. You can get by with R.I.M.S. mounts if you have DW L-rods, but not the branded knock offs like starcast and all the other ones (those all seem to always bounce around). The Pearl and Yamaha arms are both sturdy too, though I do not prefer them because of many reasons.

I'm a very very hard hitter. Unless I'm on really thick carpet, a floor tom with legs will slide around on me. I suppose some velcrow would help there, but the three legs make it sound more thuddy to me. I like my floor tom to ring out even longer than my rack tom, kinda 808-ish. I recommend hanging toms with the right hardware. With the wrong hardware though, it will look like they're sitting on a trampoline.

Mad_cow

Hmm I've got an idea!

ok have only one leg ont he tom, on the front side, and have it founded on a stand :O! that migh get rid of the bounce,

rosenbager

loop":hjeovl1q said:
I have a hanging 14x12 tom(quite heavy because of diecast hoops and starcast mount) and I don't have any 'shakin' problems' with it. It sure isn't as stable as a normal floortom but its bounce is really hard to notice. BTW I wouldn't risk with a 16 hanging floor tom because it can be too heavy and bounce too much
I agree that the weight has a profound effect on the bounce, but i have a 16x14 that i hang on a road pro single tom stand and it has very little bounce. The road pro omni balls hold firm for me, and i have no complaints about the size of this. however i have seen some people that hand 14x12s and they just dont mount them well, or dont tighten the star cast mounts and that makes the tom much lest stable.

Vetis

Honestly with some of the more durable support systems that companies are coming out with lately it isnt too hard to throw a 16 or even an 18 inch floor tom onto a stand and have it be a free floating tom.

I personally like the look of a drumkit without the view of the standing toms' legs. It works even better if everything is free floating (thanks to a rack)

Now that I think of it, I've even seen a free floating snare before at a show here in Minnesota. I cant remember the band, but I distinctly remember seeing a rod holding up the snare that attached to both bass drums.

anybody know what im talking about?

Johnny Cat

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that. I've seen a basket designed to attach to a rack system but I can't remember who made it. I have the Tama Air Ride stand and I think it's great. The ONLY thing that sucks about it compared to a conventional stand is that I have to take the drum off the stand to change the head if I break one. Oh well. Minor inconvenience.

As for suspended toms, I have a 20" x 18" kick drum suspended with two Tama RoadPro Combination stands beside my 16" floor tom, and it is rock solid. Doesn't even wiggle in the slightest.

loop

Johnny Cat":1zj5q5td said:
As for suspended toms, I have a 20" x 18" kick drum suspended with two Tama RoadPro Combination stands beside my 16" floor tom, and it is rock solid. Doesn't even wiggle in the slightest.
Wow, do you have any pic of it?

Johnny Cat

loop":1d95tx3e said:
Johnny Cat":1d95tx3e said:
Wow, do you have any pic of it?
Not at the moment no. :( I don't have a camera. Hopefully I will get one for Christmas and the first thing I will do is take pics of my kit! :)