Hands going numb

DreamT

Hey guys. Recently I've had trouble now and then with my right hand going numb while playing. If I switch up and play Hi-hat with my left and snare with my right while at the same time lowering my right arm beside my leg between snare hits, it goes away. Has anyone else had trouble like this before?

SGarrett

More likely than not you're holding your sticks too tight and/or playing too hard. Head over to the Education Center at VicFirth.com and watch the Dom Famularo clips.

Homki890

Also, your hats might be too high, and your losing the blood flow in your arm. Same effect as holding your hand up for too long. Try lowering your hats a little. As Garret said, tight grip won't be comfy, so loosen up too.

Homki890

Johnny Cat

This is not good. It's a forewarning of a few possible problems such as Repetitive Strain Injury, Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

As well as what was mentioned above, a couple other factors are following through with the stick instead of letting it rebound, and most importantly, EXAMINE THE WAY YOUR WRISTS ARE MOVING. Your hands should be as close to palms down flat as possible (with matched grip of course. One hand palm up if you play traditional grip). If you are playing so that your palms are pretty much facing directly inwards towards each other, that means your wrists are bending in a way that they were NOT meant to bend, and this is a primary cause of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, where the nerves going through the bones in your wrist get pinched and inflamed and then swell up, causing loss of feeling and control in your hands and fingers. You do NOT want this to happen because it can be very nasty and if ignored, cause permanent damage.

This might not be the case with you, but it very well could be so you should be aware of it. Please do something about it immediately. Seek out a good drum teacher or kinesiologist that can help you with this.

Fleabear

No matter how relaxed I am...or how loosened up I am...I usually go numb by the 4th or 5th song of the set. After that....I'm fine. Not sure if it's the sign of a problem or not.....but I'm betting it's a technique thing. I might be all jacked up and killin' it on those first songs...and then finally back off a little. I always have intentions of being "aware" of it at gigs...but you know how that goes.

SGarrett

Fleabear":hxv8c1iu said:
No matter how relaxed I am...or how loosened up I am...I usually go numb by the 4th or 5th song of the set. After that....I'm fine. Not sure if it's the sign of a problem or not.....but I'm betting it's a technique thing. I might be all jacked up and killin' it on those first songs...and then finally back off a little. I always have intentions of being "aware" of it at gigs...but you know how that goes.
Yeah, there's something not right there. You should never feel any kind of numbness while playing.

stump

I started having numbness in my hands after a shoulder injury. I played alot of sports and noticed it alittle at first but then BLAM!! Some lady not paying attention hit me from behind at a red light. It's been down hill since. Get checked out man! You may have damaged something somewhere. Good luck and peace on ya!

SGarrett

stump":3i2pesqd said:
I started having numbness in my hands after a shoulder injury. I played alot of sports and noticed it alittle at first but then BLAM!! Some lady not paying attention hit me from behind at a red light. It's been down hill since. Get checked out man! You may have damaged something somewhere. Good luck and peace on ya!
Did you go to a chiropractor? You might have a pinched nerve in your shoulder. I try to see mine once a month.

skitch

stump":3v3stsrq said:
Sorry to hear that!

dave lynch

SGarrett":quh9xpx2 said:
stump":quh9xpx2 said:
Did you go to a chiropractor? You might have a pinched nerve in your shoulder. I try to see mine once a month.
That was exactly what was gonna say..Most of the time it's cuz of a nerve problem..if it's blood flow it's more than likley inflamation..!!

john_bonham73

myself pretty old school in my thinking when it comes to drums. But I know when something isnt right..and hands going numb or any type of pain when you play isnt right. Just remember drums speak for themselves when it comes to volume...you will be heard,especially if your mic'd.Lighten up....it goes a long way if you do and you will notice your play will last too.If youre in a band that plays a dynamic set meaning some light/slow tunes dont be afraid to mix it up and then blast it out towards the end of the set.If youre in a band that its balls to the walls from start to finish in respect to the set...practice playing the set light and build from there.Some guys(so I've read) add weights to their wrists and ankles for practice and beginning of their sets....and then take'em off for shows or towards the middle of the set.Never tried it,so who knows. Be your own drummer!