Hail to the Chief

Alan_

anybody else concerned about the appointee for secretary of agriculture and his huge support of genetically modified crops?

Assback

Hell yeah, Obama's finally in office

He better get to work. Re-election is only a few short years away and if he wants my vote again, I better see some results!!! :evil:

wmpdrummer13

His names is Tom Vilsack

Opposition to a Vilsack appointment has come from the Organic Consumers Association, which outlined in a November 2008 report several reasons why it believes Vilsack would be a poor choice for the position, particularly as energy and environmental reforms were a key point of the Obama campaign.[16] Among those reasons the report cites: Vilsack has repeatedly demonstrated a preference for large industrial farms and genetically modified crops;[17] as Iowa state governor, he originated the seed pre-emption bill in 2005, effectively blocking local communities from regulating where genetically engineered crops would be grown; additionally, Vilsack was the founder and former chair of the Governor's Biotechnology Partnership, and was named Governor of the Year by the Biotechnology Industry Organization, an industry lobbying group.[18]

This is from Wikipedia, who got their info from the Organic Consumers Association who are lobbyist as well. But it is definately a red flag!

nydubber

I only watched bits and pieces as I'm at work. Would have rather been there to see it first hand than to have to watch modern media's portrayal of the events. I hate the fucking news.

As far as Vilsack is concerend, I haven't agreed with a few of Obama's appointed officials. I feel he is doing so inorder to say "hey, I'm not kicking ALL the good ol' boys out of here - see, I kept a couple of them around!!!" And by "good ol' boys" I mean anyone that is known for old fashioned thinking and not really someone with a personality trait that speaks "lets tread lightly" no matter what the topic might be.

Not saying we need a bunch of pussies running things or directing us as a nation, the current level of political correction, for instance, makes me wanna fucking puke.

But I feel for the past 8 years we have had some egotistic, trigger-happy, no-self-confidence havin' leaders that have over-compensated for this by going into matters blindly thinking that "we are America, no matter what we will come out on top." Well, there was a time (long before I was born) when that was true...but you didn't say it and other countries (more importantly) didn't think that way about us. It was something that was UNSAID - everyone just KNEW what America was about. Our actions, policies, and practices stood for something and our leaders oozed such characteristics (for the most part).

Does Obama ooze those same things? Yes

Do I think he is a little worried about running things 100% his way? Yes

There are lobbyists to be paid, there are groups to be represented, just like every other politician, Obama has pockets to fill. Are they going to be the same oil-loving greedy S.O.B's that Bush and his father represented? No, probably not.

But does that mean there isn't going to be some OTHER kind of agenda going on behind the scenes packaged up and thrown out into the public as a slight-of-hand measure? Well, time will tell on that one.

Again, I fully support Obama, and feel he is what we need for the next 4-8 years (in my opinion, longer than that as it stands right now)..but I do not agree with some of the things I feel he was pressured into doing, whether he admits to that pressure or not, doesn't matter.

here are a couple sites that offer tons of info on the things we eat and the effects of genetically modified/altered crops/foods:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/gelink.cfm
http://www.gmoafrica.org/2006/12/us-agr ... fends.html (old secretary Johanns from 2006)
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/H ... food.shtml

I, for one, don't support his selection at all. We shop at our local produce market as well as a local only grocery store - and having read into what is being put into food that requires shipment across the country, let alone "fresh" foods, I find it terifying that someone thinks it would be a good idea to continue on with such nonsense. Grow local, buy local, spread the wealth if you will. How that doesn't make sense to some people, I have no idea. They are usually the types that shop at wal-mart inorder to save $1 per bag of groceries, not realizing (or caring) that they are slowing putting 15 other local business' out of business with each trip.

good things to watch that go along w/this issue:
http://www.walmartmovie.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1112115/
http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/film.php? ... landscapes

There is tons of others out there, I mean - just TONS. And in closing, to relate this back to drums...

imagine if instead of every person buying a $1000 Tama kit that they purchased a $1500 locally made custom kit?

You would have local (in my opinion, local means "made in the USA" at the current time....lol, I'm kiddin, but I'm not) employees, money staying in communities, products exchanging hands locally....a self-sustaining organism if you will.

Yes, you pay slightly more for the product, but what you are getting in the long-run is sooooo much more valuable.

wmpdrummer13

Yea unfortunatly with the MONOPOLIES like Wal-Mart, McDonalds, etc. most small towns have no choice in shopping at these places because 1. these places can offer things at a cheaper rate because they are all imported and their profits are rediculous 2. local shops cannot stay open and compete with that plus most of the time they are bought out because they need the land for the ULTRA-SUPER WALMART. 3. Most people in smaller towns are on a tight budget so for them its a no brainer to shop where you get your stuff cheaper. To me you limit these companies and then maybe we can go back to local shops and in-country productivity, instead of importing everything.

nydubber

Another easy thing for people to do....

BUY LESS!!! EAT LESS!!!!

The average houshold is spending something close to $100 a week on groceries!!!

SLOW DOWN FATTY FAT FAT!!!!

MY father (love him to death) will shop at wal-mart ONLY becaust it saves him money. It is insane! Now, yeh - that $3-$400 someplace else would be closer to $500, but that isn't the point.

The increasing popularity in "bulk" packging/buying has made these places so popular as you can buy a 15 gallon drum of bakes beans for $10 instead of going to a CO-OP and spending $3 on a 32 oz. can. Again, if Fatty Fat Fat would limit the portion from 1 gallon of beans per meal down to 2-3 oz. per meal, those $3 can of beans might last a little longer, now wouldn't they?

And go figure, that extra 70+ lb's they are lugging around with them would slowly start to go away, as well.

bass-ackwards

holy crap Nydubber every post of yours becomes a frikken novel.

But on the subject of Obama, whats the big deal? There seems to be a ton of hype for a black guy. And no I'm not racist im just saying that there seems to be far more coverage than for any president before. So who cares if he's black? Those racial barriers have been knocked down (at least in Canada). Now if this was 10-20 years ago it would have been bigger.

nydubber

the first time of ANYTHING is a big deal.

first girl, first car, first drums, first job, first black president? what did you expect?

And I'm sorry, I've pointed out before my posts go on forever. lol - my monkey mind (ehh, poor choice of words? lol) kicks in and things just start stringy together. Plus I type at just under 100 wpm so I spit out large chunks of wordage in a short amount of time. A bad combination if you are really opinionated :D

wmpdrummer13

uhm maybe because its the first black president ever, thats a pretty big deal plus i think it was more of a going away party for Bush

Alan_

bass-ackwards":1ov444j0 said:
Those racial barriers have been knocked down (at least in Canada). Now if this was 10-20 years ago it would have been bigger.

Happy to hear that. America still has some growing to do with that, but I think this is partially due to the fact that we have a more racially diverse makeup than ANY other country in the world. For as heterogeneous as our population is racially and culturally, I think we do a pretty good job at everyone getting along. Not as good as I'd like, but a ton of progress has definitely been made.

Assback

bass-ackwards":1sffd19k said:
holy crap Nydubber every post of yours becomes a frikken novel.

But on the subject of Obama, whats the big deal? There seems to be a ton of hype for a black guy. And no I'm not racist im just saying that there seems to be far more coverage than for any president before. So who cares if he's black? Those racial barriers have been knocked down (at least in Canada). Now if this was 10-20 years ago it would have been bigger.

its not so much we care that he's black. its that he's not the same as every other the previous candidates. He coulda been Indian/ chinese mix for all care. its always been white guy vs white guy. old white guy vs young white guy. old white guy vs old white guy. It's just nice to know that the possibility of a non-white president isn't a joke anymore

What I think is REALLY the big deal is the huge increase in youth voting.

Alan_

I'm still interested in this idea that canada doesn't have any race issues. I mean, is this like when the French talk up how racist America is, meanwhile treating minorities inside their borders like absolute crap?

Alan_

also, canada has never had a non-white prime minister either.

countries always pointing out how backward america is for only now electing a black president...meanwhile, they're being run by old rich white men, same as us.

bass-ackwards

yeah, i guess you could see it that way. We have however had a female Prime minister, she screwd it up though. Also canada has lots of multi cultural MP's, senators and other political figures. Its not the citizens that elect the prime minister its the party who selects their leader then the people vote for a represesntitive for their constituency. So really it all depends on how you look at it.

Timekeep69

All I can say is that Obama has A LOT of expectations being put on him. It's going to take alot more than charisma and eloquent speaking to turn this country around.