Guitar Center Sets?

josdrummer08

i wanna get a set at guitar center but i don't kno if they are ripping me off and i could get a better deal some were else or if there giving me a real bargain... also can u do payments a guitar center?

SGarrett

Timekeep69":37kqor43 said:
Guitar Center owns Musicians friend.
I was just about to say that. :D

And yes, GC rips its customers off. Every major drum manufacturer ships their kits with snare drums and their own hardware. What does GC do? They remove these items and sell them to you separately. They figure, if you're spending more than a few hundred on a kit you already have your own snare and if you, you won't mind paying a little more to get the one that was supposed to come with your kit. The hardware, they take out and put in their warehouse so they can sell you their crap-ass house gear which makes them more money. This is how it works on the West Coast anyway, per factory reps, so I assume it's a corporation wide thing. For that fact, most of the reps I've dealt with really don't like GC.

drummer912

SGarrett":kguhtp0e said:
Timekeep69":kguhtp0e said:

And yes, GC rips its customers off. Every major drum manufacturer ships their kits with snare drums and their own hardware. What does GC do? They remove these items and sell them to you separately. They figure, if you're spending more than a few hundred on a kit you already have your own snare and if you, you won't mind paying a little more to get the one that was supposed to come with your kit. The hardware, they take out and put in their warehouse so they can sell you their crap-ass house gear which makes them more money. This is how it works on the West Coast anyway, per factory reps, so I assume it's a corporation wide thing. For that fact, most of the reps I've dealt with really don't like GC.
for real, i hate it tht ALMOST all of their kits in the store are shell sets. uhh.

dave lynch

SGarrett":3fptjsay said:
Timekeep69":3fptjsay said:

What do they do with the stands and stuff they take away from the kits ? I'm confused cuz I don't know what you mean by threir house gear..I do know one thing, if you have a quote from Musicians Friend for an item, they have to match it..That sales tax thing seems cool ablout Musicians friend..One thing about going to a music store or to a private seller is that you can check out the item...Cymbals, heads,snares, sticks..etc..are all different..I like to listen to what I'm gonna buy before I buy it...New stands and things like that are different...Yeah they all can rip you off when you're not looking..Oh yeah always ask for the return policy...That helps incase you decide you don't like a product...Good luck !!

SGarrett

drummer912":2xu5izq2 said:
SGarrett":2xu5izq2 said:
Timekeep69":2xu5izq2 said:

for real, i hate it tht ALMOST all of their kits in the store are shell sets. uhh.
No doubt. It's fairly obvious that a lot of the snares on their wall belong with a lot of the shell packs on the floor.

It's a marketing thing. It's makes the customer think they're getting a better deal than they actually are. You see the high-end kits without hardware and snares, then you see the mid-level to semi-pro kits displayed the same way and your brain makes an instant connection.

dave lynch

Hey that brings up a topic...If someone wanted to buy a shell kit ( floor model ) with no hardware or snare, cymbals etc...What is the best way to know what a good price is ? I think maybe gettin the list price for each drum and knocking 30-40% off may do it ? Then off course I imagine that if there's sratches and banged up heads you can get them to drop the price even more..Is that about right ?

anavrinIV

you guys may not like gc but today i got a yamaha birch custom absolue with a full set of heads and the mounting hardware for under $1850...and its a $3000+ set anywhere else, all because it was used. i would love to support my local drum shop, but i dont have one.

anavrinIV

dave lynch":39b5kj3v said:
Hey that brings up a topic...If someone wanted to buy a shell kit ( floor model ) with no hardware or snare, cymbals etc...What is the best way to know what a good price is ? I think maybe gettin the list price for each drum and knocking 30-40% off may do it ? Then off course I imagine that if there's sratches and banged up heads you can get them to drop the price even more..Is that about right ?
usually (at least at mine) if youre looking at anything from the floor theyll throw in heads and sticks when you buy the set. and if you wait long enough they drop the price so they can move it, plus theyll throw in the heads a sticks. i got about a $100 worth of stuff for free (or discounted merch at cost) when i got my set today, and they were already selling about as low as they could go.

SGarrett

dave lynch":10ckdkn7 said:
The drum shop I worked at sold drums at 40% off MSRP and GC tends to go anywhere from 30-40%...typically 35%. If you're good at haggling you can get 40% out of them and 45% on DW and PDP products.

Here's a quick way to figure out discounts. Say you want to find out what 40% of $865.34 is. Taking 40% out of 100% leaves 60%, correct? Multiply $865.34 by .60 and you get the already discounted price of $519.20 instead of having to find out what 40% is and then subtracting it to get the same figure. Silly as it is, it really impresses customers when you can find the discounted price that quickly. :D

dave lynch

About a month ago I got a Vinnie Paul Signature Series Snare for $218 brand new from Guitar Center..I looked around on the net and that was the best price that I saw, tho I haven't checked lately..!!

anavrinIV

SGarrett":29kiw04k said:
seandude":29kiw04k said:
theres always a better deal ut who has the time to find it?
The consumer that does his/her homework. :)
bingo. ive gotten killer deals on some gear by buying used...no real flaws, just unwanted. to date ive saved about $1400 by buying used, if not more.