Grooves?!

Dee

Hey guys, have any of you got any really nice sounding grooves or fillers that you wouldn't mind sharing?

alexforwood

I shall begin it seems then. If you want two VERY famous grooves that are a bitch to learn and play PROPERLY then look for

1) The Porcaro Shuffle Groove (a hybrid of Bonham bass drum and Purdie Shuffle)

2) The Rodney Holmes Cowbell Groove

www.drummerworld.com will assist with all the names

Dale

Dee":31mktqgh said:
Hey guys, have any of you got any really nice sounding grooves or fillers?
Yeah, thousands. But how do I leave them here?

There's a few albums I could recomend that I believe have grooves that are 100% perfect for the music played.

These are.
Toto IV. This features the aforementioned Rosanna shuffle.

Avalon by Roxy Music. This album features the ever wonderful Andy Newmark.

So, by Peter Gabriel. Manu Kache.

Off the wall. Michael Jackson. J.R. Robinson.

Anything by The Average white band, featuring Steve Ferrone.

Anything by Tower of Power, featuring David Garibaldi. (Make sure Garibaldi is on it)

Crazy after all these years. Paul Simon. Steve Gadd.

Anything by Steely Dan.

Anything by Rufus.

Fresh. Sly and the family Stone. Again featuring Andy Newmark.

The Meters anthology. Zigaboo Modeliste.

The funky drummer. James Brown.

That's a few to begin anyway.

Dee

Thanx guys, very grateful, I have the famous Porcaro shuffle groove nailed, I will have a listen to the Rodney Holmes cowbell groove now, Thanx babe!

Thank you too Dale, there is a few you have mentioned that i don't know of, so i will have a go at finding them!

Cheers guys!

Gaddabout

You can't really understand the Porcaro shuffle until you've heard the Bernard Purdie and John Bonham shuffles, the two that inspired him for that groove.

Dee

Gaddabout":1jx9k93p said:
You can't really understand the Porcaro shuffle until you've heard the Bernard Purdie and John Bonham shuffles, the two that inspired him for that groove.
I agree, I have learn all three grooves cause i think they are amazing, that's my style of playing so they had to be perfected when i learnt them!

Gaddabout

If you're just looking for some fun funk grooves, you would do well to pick up Rick Latham's Advanced Funk book. Tons of lifted notations in there.

One that I don't think is in there but I'll have to sit down someday and work out the notation myself is the outro from Tower of Power's Man from the Past. That one's just crazy on the pulse shift.

Flatliner

not terribly challenging, but fun to mess with. bassic form is a triplet but break it up over the feet and hands and mess with leaving beats out as well.

This next thing is the same pattern but you use either a double bass pedal or just double stroke with a single pedal and you can move the high hat to various beats of the triplet. just play a hand and then two kick beats in the triplet form. take this and make something from it. Like I said not terribly hard but its fun to mess with. favorite one of mine is two triplets of floor tom bass bass and then a nice wack on the snare.

drumur

Hi
I second most of the suggestions before me.
Also, you might want to check out Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials"
Book, Video, and CD package.
It might help you out.

madchops

check out herlin riley's groove on wynton marselis's standard time v.2
on bourbon st. parade

funky subtle n'awlins shimmy beat