Groove drummers - I got the feelin!

RobDrmz

Hey everyone,

FIrst off. James Brown - R.i.p. I had tickets to his show next month, sure miss him.

My question is regarding volume and groove. Have you noticed when playing pocket that every drummer has his own 'Groove volume level' ??

Dale

RobDrmz":1g9lk0ya said:
Hey everyone,

FIrst off. James Brown - R.i.p. I had tickets to his show next month, sure miss him.

My question is regarding volume and groove. Have you noticed when playing pocket that every drummer has his own 'Groove volume level' ??
Are you asking if each individual has attributes that differ from others? If so, yes. This is natural across the spectrum of all human endeavours.

If you would like to define some aspects in more detail, it might be possible to post a better answer than what I have left here.

Drummerjew

most drummers groove to any beat they like. Some copy from others and the rest try what they already learned. Most drummers do have their own groove i would to listen to ur drumming then others too!
(James Brown - R.i.p.) I second that! he was a great man and musician!

303_Cliff

I think groove dynamics are important - accents and ghost notes help me groove a bit more. I think it's due to the dynamic contrast formed between the loud backbeats, and the quiet notes - hat and snare accents placed in the beat - as well as the "spaces" in the beats and between the beats. That's just me.

Everyone has a different take on it - ask any drummer to play a four on the floor beat and it will sound different everytime - everyone has their own groove that makes them unique.

zen_drummer

303_Cliff":3fuy0248 said:
Everyone has a different take on it - ask any drummer to play a four on the floor beat and it will sound different everytime - everyone has their own groove that makes them unique.
You said a mouthful.... For some drummers the groove is all about the spaces in the music, for others it's about the subtle push and pull between snare and kick... Others set-up the groove with dynamics making it almost "breathe" and no two players do it the same way!

Listen to the groove on James Brown's "Sex Machine". Simple... loaded with space, yet undeniable, a pocket so deep you could fall into it and never find your way out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgIQej9SMg

Grooving is about confidence and poise. It's about laying down time and letting it take on a life of its own. I'm not sure anybody can actually teach it, yet when it's there, it's as obvious as an elephant in a china shop.

Wanna groove? Study this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-TfJQ0WKA

There are some great technical players that have never grooved in their life, and some great groove players that can't play a para-diddle.

This is truly the enigmatic side of drumming.

The Heel

As far as a groove goes...

"Tell me something Good" by Rufus(Andre Fischer) has the most hypnotizing groove I've ever heard. He's so far behind the beat he sounds like he's going to fall on the floor... but everything is placed so perfectly. It always just blew my mind.

As far as the volume question... I dont know what you mean. I believe every drummer should use dynamics even within a groove. And the overall volume of the groove depends on what kind of groove it is.

"Groove" is such an open word to a drummer. A groove could be John Bonham laying down on "We're Gonna Groove" on the opening DVD of "How the West Was Won".

Or it could be one of James Brown's masterful drummers (Clyde Stubblefield, John "Jabo" Starks, and Melvin Parker) laying down "Sex Machine"...

all the way to Carter Beauford grooving to "Tripping Billies" or ANYTHING off of Tony Williams "Lifetime"... right to "Led Boots" from Jeff Beck or ANYTHING Max Roach ever played.

They all groove. At that level they can groove at whatever volume they want as far as I'm concerned.

zen_drummer

The Heel":3fs5vykk said:
As far as a groove goes...

"Tell me something Good" by Rufus(Andre Fischer) has the most hypnotizing groove I've ever heard. He's so far behind the beat he sounds like he's going to fall on the floor... but everything is placed so perfectly. It always just blew my mind.

Oh MAN, is that ever a tough tune to play well! And it sounds SO freakin easy!...

I just love when they hit the chorus for the first time and it all SNAPS together... Just amazing.

For the uninitiated... check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o_p8tBCZs4

And an earlier version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Q1jlEZhTg