grindcore drumming

DreadMe

Be as fast as you can with double bass
and the snare and toms and cymbal belongs to the guitar and singer

Mikkey

Basics? No offense, but that's not exactly a style that's hard to play or even requires a playbook. The genre was based on a "no rules" punk rock philosophy. I mean if you wanna play "grind drumming" than just play everything on top of each other. Play snare on top hats on top of bass is the simplest way to do it. You can alternate the blasts if you feel the need (although audiences for grind tend to like everything to be either one dimensional or super "artsy" in the in between parts). Double bass isn't a must since a lot of earlier grind didn't have double bass. A lot of the punk/grind bands still play with single bass. But if you wanna have a more death/grind band then sure, use lots of double bass. If you feel the need to sample some stuff I'd say listen to Brutal Truth, Autopsy, and Bolt Thrower. That should give you something to go from.

seandude

Mikkey":bdnotwx3 said:
Basics? No offense, but that's not exactly a style that's hard to play or even requires a playbook. The genre was based on a "no rules" punk rock philosophy. I mean if you wanna play "grind drumming" than just play everything on top of each other. Play snare on top hats on top of bass is the simplest way to do it. You can alternate the blasts if you feel the need (although audiences for grind tend to like everything to be either one dimensional or super "artsy" in the in between parts). Double bass isn't a must since a lot of earlier grind didn't have double bass. A lot of the punk/grind bands still play with single bass. But if you wanna have a more death/grind band then sure, use lots of double bass. If you feel the need to sample some stuff I'd say listen to Brutal Truth, Autopsy, and Bolt Thrower. That should give you something to go from.
ya just use alot of double bass snare hard and rock on

Eliminator

Andy Taylor from Diskreet is a great up and coming grind core drummer, the band is amazing too. His gravity blasts would split the earth i tell ya

kylevater

and ill have to learn to slow my tempo down greatly for some parts
where its like cymbals alot and snare and just a little bass
youll know what i mean by listening to stand strong by suicide silence even though they arent completely all the way grindcore

GrindheadJim

Saying "lots of double bass and blasts" isn't going to teach this guy anything.

Obviously, if he's asking about grindcore, he knows what he is hearing, just not how to do it.

Here, check out this video on blasting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYb9xxlAx5E. It should help. If you need more help, catch up with me with the links from my profile.

kylevater

GrindheadJim":ijzjijrr said:
Saying "lots of double bass and blasts" isn't going to teach this guy anything.

Obviously, if he's asking about grindcore, he knows what he is hearing, just not how to do it.

Here, check out this video on blasting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYb9xxlAx5E. It should help. If you need more help, catch up with me with the links from my profile.
thanks man
ive been doing my rolls just how that video showed me for the past couple days, and its alot better

Potatoe Snack

so today at work (dont ask why) i had to break up uncooked pasta with a hammer and i used that technique for blast beats with the hammer alternating my left and right hand. i wasn't sure if that was building strength in the wrists or giving me tendinitis.

GrindheadJim

Potatoe Snack":1owqg6q6 said:
so today at work (dont ask why) i had to break up uncooked pasta with a hammer and i used that technique for blast beats with the hammer alternating my left and right hand. i wasn't sure if that was building strength in the wrists or giving me tendinitis.
Stretch your wrists first next time. :)

jobforacowboy

as u can see by my username, i LUV grindcore (Job for the cowboy owns) all u really need to no is how to gravity blast with the hi-hat (or ride) and snare...double bass. and blast with one hand on the snare. the rest is basically trashy, throw stuff in that sounds good haha. grind core for life, BREE BREE \M/

kylevater

jobforacowboy":9zx7fr87 said:
as u can see by my username, i LUV grindcore (Job for the cowboy owns) all u really need to no is how to gravity blast with the hi-hat (or ride) and snare...double bass. and blast with one hand on the snare. the rest is basically trashy, throw stuff in that sounds good haha. grind core for life, BREE BREE \M/
i had no idea jfac was grindcore
as one of my favorite bands, ive seen them death metal
and i little broXcore

Potatoe Snack

kylevater":1uejot1a said:
jobforacowboy":1uejot1a said:
and i little broXcore
:?: :?: :?: :?:

what is broxcore?!

kylevater

Potatoe Snack":3hzahrj7 said:
kylevater":3hzahrj7 said:
jobforacowboy":3hzahrj7 said:
and i little broXcore
:?: :?: :?: :?:

what is broxcore?!
brocore is a scene that you wear gym shorts and tight band shirts all the time
you might say that jfac is not like that at all
but they draw attention for brocore people

GrindheadJim

Job for a Cowboy are NOT grindcore.

See early Napalm Death, Carcass, Disrupt, Extreme Noise Terror, and Terrorizer for the best examples.

Having said that, gravity blasts are hardly "required learning" for grindcore, either... let alone death metal.

What the hell happened to what this guy asked for: the basics?

kylevater

GrindheadJim":2tum2ugy said:

See early Napalm Death, Carcass, Disrupt, Extreme Noise Terror, and Terrorizer for the best examples.

Having said that, gravity blasts are hardly "required learning" for grindcore, either... let alone death metal.

yeah!
and even i can do blast beats
lol
i just want to know the main principal to it

GrindheadJim

kylevater":hpll4yf7 said:
GrindheadJim":hpll4yf7 said:

yeah!
and even i can do blast beats
lol
i just want to know the main principal to it
The main principle is to play consistent, hard, and relaxed. Beyond that, it's a matter of practicing the techniques. Did you watch my videos? Do you have any questions?

kcin616

JFACB are you serious?!?!?! ugh. altho i will say their newest album reminds me a little bit of morbid angel. but hey that's just me. ummmm, grindcore drumming, at least for the newage shit, all i got to say is, fuck that shit. seriously. "lets play uber fast, with no direction to the music, and guitars will just do random chromatic sweeps!" go out and explore other shit in drumming. like polyrythms, compound time signatures, dynamics, etc.

kylevater

kcin616":1cyx3xuz said:
JFACB are you serious?!?!?! ugh. altho i will say their newest album reminds me a little bit of morbid angel. but hey that's just me. ummmm, grindcore drumming, at least for the newage shit, all i got to say is, fuck that shit. seriously. "lets play uber fast, with no direction to the music, and guitars will just do random chromatic sweeps!" go out and explore other shit in drumming. like polyrythms, compound time signatures, dynamics, etc.
but its damn fun to play fast
i play through the beginning of bloodspattered satisfaction by waking the cadaver and i love it

kcin616

kylevater":25e979cr said:
kcin616":25e979cr said:
but its damn fun to play fast
i play through the beginning of bloodspattered satisfaction by waking the cadaver and i love it
yea it's an assload of fun to play fast, dont get me wrong. but it just aint everything. ya know. kids now-a-days are growing up thinking blasts are the be all end all, and speed is the only good thing. but that's seriously not true at all. i'd give more credit to creativity at a moderate tempo, than blasting at 300 bpm.