Gretsch?

AK-Drummer

does anyone have an opinion on Grestsch drums? i really like the look of them and i play a catalina at college. was lookin at the reknown maple, catalina maple and catalina ash. any thoughts on this good or bad would be cool. my price limit in under 1000 if possible

anavrinIV

no catalina birch? imo, theyre the best sounding kit for the money period. i played a set of catalina maples that was really badly out of tune but even so i could tell that the sound was much thinner than that of the birches.

AK-Drummer

meh i looked for catalina birch....coudnt find any...god idk...idk what kinda wood i like best or anything...i havent played a wide range of drums...i can think of 4...pearl forum. pearl session..maple im thinking...and then a catalina...i think that was maple to...so im not sure what a birch even sounds like...o and a DW i think that was also maple...maybe i should just get something low/itermediate till i have a bit more knowledge in diff sounds of drums? lkdsafigoghneugnfsgbtrnuistgr this is driving me crazy :evil:

Sway

Hey i say if you have that money to get a good kit get one. While you may not know how each wood sounds and everything your certainly not going to get good experience on a cheap kit. Also just go out and buy the drumset YOU think sounds best and start from there. And just so you know if this is for shows nobody else but drummers really care what kind of wood your instrument is made out of so just get something that sounds GREAT to YOU!
If you must know though birch has better highs and lows and Maple will give you a good mid range sound. The reason alot of people like Maple is cause for some reason it tends to really project and penetrate without being over powering.

DrumminBari

I play the renown maple, and I have loved it the entire 3-4 years I have owned it. But, I think at GC its 1.300, but I bought a floor model and happen to have bought quite a few things there so I got it for 1,000. My buddy has the Catalina Birch, and it also is amazing.

Bottom line, gretsch is definetly a company to look into.

Northdrums

I too have the Gretsch Renown Maple kit and I'm lovin it! I have it tuned low, and it has some serious punch behind it. When tuned a bit higher, it is very melodic. I payed just a hair over a thousand for it...

ceej730

Yea i would definately go for it...I am personally trying to buy the 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple...They sound amazing

earldrum

I have been playing Gretsch drums since 1979. I love the sound of the old maple drums which IMHO are still the best drums I have ever played.

I believe the Renown Maple drums come close to the old Gretsch sound because they use the Gretsch die cast hoops and have 6 ply maple shells. Die-cast hoops really give the maple shell that "Great Greatch Sound."

It appears that the new Gretsch drums, like the Catalina series sound pretty good for the money. Actually I almost bought a Catalina Club Kit that has mahogany shells. That little kit sounded great and the price was like under $500 for a four-piece kit!

It is nice to see Gretsch drums finally getting some respect. Of course it took Kaman Music taking the business over to see it actually happen. Thank you Kaman Music - it is good to see Gretsch drums are doing better than their guitars finally. :D

Call me Gideon

Hey all...I'm actually looking for a new kit now. At the moment, I use a Tama Rockstar but I was thinkin of pickin up one of the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod kits. Anyone know anything about this particular model? Ive played on a buddy's Cataina Ash and they seemed pretty good. I play very Lagwagony, NOFXish stuff so Im looking for something that has a good sound for that style, live and in the studio.

earldrum

Call me Gideon":1cl4ghy0 said:
Hey all...I'm actually looking for a new kit now. At the moment, I use a Tama Rockstar but I was thinkin of pickin up one of the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod kits. Anyone know anything about this particular model? Ive played on a buddy's Cataina Ash and they seemed pretty good. I play very Lagwagony, NOFXish stuff so Im looking for something that has a good sound for that style, live and in the studio.
The catalina mod is similar to the catalina club kit in that it has mahogany wood shells and triple flange hoops. These drums are designed to appeal to the younger rock player, where the catalina club is marketed toward the older gigging musician.

The kick and toms are really nice sounding. The snare (like with all kits in this price range) is not a great sounding drum (i.e., it works, but there are a lot better). This kit is a great kit for the price if you have or can afford a good solid snare drum.

Call me Gideon

Thanks Earl. Ill have to see what I can do with the snare. I can usually tease a pretty decent sound out of them. As of now Im usin the standard snare, that comes with the Rockstar, and Im constantly complimented on my snare sound. If it comes right down to it, I can just throw that snare on the club Mod kit.