gretsch renown maple

rufus4dagruv

I've been using my Renown's for almost 2 years now and I have been completely satisfied with them. This kit sells new in the states for about $1,500 which at the current exchange rate is about $1,667 Australian. What prices are other dealers selling similar kits for? The cherry red was discontinued about 3 years ago, I believe. Mine is this color, but the kit I bought was NOS and still in the boxes and got a very nice deal. If it stays around the current price, I would say that it is a good deal. No matter how you slice it, the Renowns are great drums for the money, IMHO.

rufus4dagruv

percussle":2z4ujwqy said:
hey what are the renown rosewood kits like ?. hx for the reply by the way
Anytime. I have never played/heard the rosewood kit, but I do know that it is very expensive. Rosewood is a great tone wood for acoustic guitars. Timekeep69 could probably give you a better idea of how the rosewood compares to maple in regards to tone.

Airborne Ranger

I think it's a good deal. The Renown Maple series are nice drums. They're the closest to the USA Custom series from Gretsch without the incredibly high price. They have the die-cast rims, 30 degree edges, silver sealer, same shell as the U.S. - made drums, for a lot less (because they're made overseas). The only thing I don't like about the line is the lack of finish options, they only come in a handful of colors.

xdoseonex

DrumFiend0206":3miknhf2 said:
I thought Reknown Maples had die-cast hoops? They look really nice though lol.
they do have diecast hoops. and matching basss drum hoops. I have been playing my renown maple for less than a year but i'm already in love with it. we have a bunch of drummers on this forum that play a renown maple. I'v heard from smm ppl that they were hard to tune low. Not mine. my toms are acualy decievingly deep for theyre size. (8",10",12",14" ) There arent a whole bunch of finished to coose from. but the ones they have are so nice i dont see how yo couldnt love them.

Bottom line: I will put my gretsch renown maple up against a dw kit twice the price and not think twice about it. this is an amazing kit and worth every penny

DrumFiend0206

xdoseonex":2hyus5n7 said:
DrumFiend0206":2hyus5n7 said:
I thought Reknown Maples had die-cast hoops? They look really nice though lol.
they do have diecast hoops. and matching basss drum hoops. I have been playing my renown maple for less than a year but i'm already in love with it. we have a bunch of drummers on this forum that play a renown maple. I'v heard from smm ppl that they were hard to tune low. Not mine. my toms are acualy decievingly deep for theyre size. (8",10",12",14" ) There arent a whole bunch of finished to coose from. but the ones they have are so nice i dont see how yo couldnt love them.

Bottom line: I will put my gretsch renown maple up against a dw kit twice the price and not think twice about it. this is an amazing kit and worth every penny
Yeah, if I ever get a second kit, it's going to be a renown maple. I like the finishes(althought limited) and they just sound good lol.

rufus4dagruv

xdoseonex":3oiwneax said:
percussle":3oiwneax said:
is it ? and is it worth the price? it is in Australian dollars also.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gretsch-Mapl...ryZ38092QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thx fellas :D[/url]
i dont think thats a renown maple. if it is its older. mine has differnt badges and diecast hoops
It is older. The current line does have the Die Cast hoops, but they were put out about 5+ years ago, I believe, with the triple flanged ones like in the pictures. The silver sealer is the give away that it is a intermediate to higher end kit. They do not use it on the Catalina series.

If the OP is serious about the kit, keep an eye on the auction. If there are no bids in a couple of days, shoot the seller an offer. Never know, they may bite. Good luck.

andybfrank

xdoseonex":3ec5xlsi said:
I second that. I bought mine a little over a year ago because I compared it side by side with DW's and Yamaha Maple Customs, and Pearl Reference. I liked the Gretsch's sound the best by far and it cost less than anything in its range.