Gretsch or Yamaha??? I can't decide...again...

RogersDrummer

Hello fellow drummers, my name is Rob. I'm selling my Rogers kit on ebay and I'd like to buy a brand new set (I'm tired of bad bearing edges). Anyway, I've come down to two kits that I like very much. The Yamaha Oak Custom, and the Gretsch Renown Maple. I can't seem to decide which I like better. They both have their ups and downs, and they are both wonderful companies.
I play Jazz/Fusion/Funk.....

which set do you all like more?

Thanks!
Rob

black sparkle

I would do the Gretsch kit, but that's me. Both are great but the maple drums will be a lot warmer. If you're going for attack do the Oak drums.

RogersDrummer

Yea, normally I would keep the Rogers, but it's a concert tom set. I'm going for more of a modern sound. It still sounds good though, but it's time to move on :)

zen_drummer

RogersDrummer":3vxekir0 said:
Yea, normally I would keep the Rogers, but it's a concert tom set. I'm going for more of a modern sound. It still sounds good though, but it's time to move on :)
When I was posting that I would keep them, I thought... "Oh man, I hope he doesn't have one of those nasty 70's kits with the single heads and the idiotic mem-re-lock hardware... "

Yep, if it looks like a dog and smells like a dog, it's a dog, no way around it...

Good luck with your new kit, whatever you buy!

TrunJun

black sparkle":1w98ezf8 said:
I would do the Gretsch kit, but that's me. Both are great but the maple drums will be a lot warmer. If you're going for attack do the Oak drums.
what he said

mikebodrums

both kits are sweet my dad has the yamaha's kit and i have the gretsch catalina birch...gretsch drums are awesome but the yamaha toms are the best i have heard next to my ludwig super classics......it would be a tough choice but i would prob go with the warm maple sound of the gretsch they would be the most versitle as far as live and recording..

DrumminBari

I personally own the Gretsch Maple Renown, so I am little bias, but I absolutly love the set. I play alot of funk, and combine this set with a nice copper shell snare (mines a yamaha 14" copper shell) there is nothing better for this style.

Not to mention its a big perk that it comes set with Evans G2s on the toms and Emad (amazing head) on the kick.

Either choice is a good one though, before this set I owned a Yamaha, but I would recommend looking into maple for you style.

Alexander

I bought a Gretsch Catalina Birch in June 06' & LOVE it. The sound spectrum of Birchwood is soooo very beeyouteafull to me! My primary snare is a 5"x12" Pork Pie Little Squealer. Both are excellently manufactured in Taiwan (like the maple reknown?) & the hoops are triple flanged, not die cast. I hear (yukyukyuk) you get more overtones with 3 flanged hoops & dig the crazy ringing in my ears. :shock:

Here are some pix of my Gretsch kit:

& my (practice kit often) Roland Vdrums @ home::wink:

drumjo7182

Well I've had a lot of good experences with yamaha drums, and gretsch is a soild company but they aren't very special. i'd get yamaha, but i still dont like having my drums made by a company that makes motorcycles and other shit

rufus4dagruv

I have a set of the Renown Maples and have been very pleased with the purchase. I got a great deal on them from this place called the Muzic Store in Dobbs Ferry NY. For the price, I am very pleased with my purchase. I've played about 75 gigs on them over the last 9 months, and they've held up very well and I have gotten a lot of compliments on the sound.

I would not say anything negative about the Oak Custom's, though. I was considering these drums also when I made my purchase. While the price was definitely a concern, I imagine had I gone with the Oak's I don't think I would have been disappointed. Make sure you post some pics of whichever one you get. :D

Johnfixious

I've been working off and on at a guitar center in the drum shop for a while, lots of experience messing with these kits, and my personal experience is that gretsch drums sound great, the birch toms are nice except for the 12's and the 14" toms, hard to keep tuned. The same with the Renowned maple, the kick drum sounds phenominal but the toms don't exactly mesh as well as i'd like to have it.
Which is partly where my dedication to yamaha stands, all of thier kits ( high end of course) seem to mesh really well with each other, i've never had a problematic tom on either of them, and kicks have always sounded great although i prefer a 18x20 and 20x20. And the best part is with thier absolute line you can mix and match different kinds of wood in the drums such as having a maple bass, and birch toms, and they always play as fluid as if it were a matched kit.

RogersDrummer

Thank you all for the input! I just sold the Rogers set on ebay. I decided to go with Yamaha Oak for a couple reasons.
1. Normally they're quite expensive, but my former co-worker at guitar center lowered the price a ton
2. Sizes are 10" 12" 14" 16" 7x14" 17x22" After the price drop, thats an awful lot of drums to pass up
3. Im going to throw wood hoops on it anyway. So getting a set with die-cast hoops would be kindof a waste i think.
4. I think the YESS mount is a brilliant idea, and it works quite well. Also, their quality controll is top notch. Not to say that Gretsch's isnt, Ive just had more expierence with yamaha.

I must admit, the Gretsch does look nicer, with that Autumn burst and silver sealer on the inside. Sounds great too. I used to have a Catalina birch a couple years ago. Great set, except i had really bad luck with the tom mounting hardware.

Another thing, whats with Gretsch only having 5 lugs on their renown maple rack toms? I don't suppose you REALLY need 6 lugs, expecially if you're using die-cast hoops.

zen_drummer

RogersDrummer":a6u3wgty said:
Another thing, whats with Gretsch only having 5 lugs on their renown maple rack toms? I don't suppose you REALLY need 6 lugs, expecially if you're using die-cast hoops.
As long as I can remember, Gretsch has had only 5 lugs on those toms. They work fine though...

Congratulations on your new kit, I hope it provides you with many years of service and pleasure! It's a fine quality kit with a lot going for it, and you should really enjoy it compared to your old kit.

Johnfixious

I've always loved the YESS mounts, they're really alot easier for quick setup and break downs, i feel more confident playing them and not having to worry about really cranking down the wing nuts on the rim's mounts. Damn man, oak custom with vintage hoops all around? That'll sound beautiful, i'm working on tossing vintage hoops on my beech custom yamaha when i finally decide to retire it for purely studio usage.