Gretsch Catalina - Rock Vs MOD

PaulZILLA

alright im buying a new set. and i really want somethin with that classic look and i know gretsch is a very good company as far as asound and quality goes. i personaly am in love with the Catlina MOD in silver flake with black stripes. 22x20 bassdrum. love that thing. but my friend keeps pointing me at the Catalina ROCK which has the similar rack tom and floor tom size. but adds a larger 18x16 floor tom to it. and a 6.5x14 snare as opposed to 5.5x14. but the big difference. the 26x16 bass.ive never really fully experienced one. and i know i love the 22x20 bass. and ive played alot of 22x16's. but whats the reall difference with the 22x16. its a freaky mamoth head. which will suck to buy and re head but eh. another battle another day. i just really want to know the big difference it adds. i know that the fact its 26 as opposed to 22 makes the beater/beaters hit below dead center. i dont really know what difference that will make in the so und though. so any and all help in this would be appreciated.

crackheadback

Wow this question is right up my alley. I have been playing big bass ludwig kits for years. My last had a mammoth 26X14 bass drum. Several months ago I decided I wanted to scale down a bit and saw the Gretch silver mod kit. I bought it and have been quite pleased with its sound and looks. I use remo coated heads on the toms with no damper and they sound great. In fact I am getting ready to record these drums.

The other day I had a gig and decided to bring out the bid Ludwigs after playing the Gretch non-stop for a couple months. What a difference!!!!!. Because the bass beater hits below center on the 26 there is a different feel to it. If you are playing straight pounding bass beats like I do in my band, (www.myspace.com/dropgun)there is nothing better than the 26. But if you want to do some pedalwork, the smaller bass is better.

Secondly, the most challenging issue with a 26 in bass is how to mount your toms. I play a 4 piece set up and the distance between the rack and floor was never a real problem until I started playing the smaller kit. When I played the Ludwigs again, it was hard to traverse the tom distance on fills. I decided right then that I would never play with a big bass again. To close that gap, you have to mount the tom up high to clear the extra 4 inches. I hate my toms that high and mounted toms on a 26 inch bass look a little silly. There are pics of the Gretch and ludwig kits on the myspace page. (click on Chris' page.) Bottom line, get the Gretch mod kit and forget the 26in bass. Hope this helps

PaulZILLA

ah thanks man. ive grown to dislike the 26 now that i tested it afew days ago. haha. i was lookin at a 24in mapex proM kit. and then the place jacked the price up about 400 and now i cant offord it. so im lookin at a Taye Rockpro 8pc. 22x16 bass. but itl do me for my metal band. ill eventualy get somethin like the mapex pro M