Gretsch Catalina Maple

MrChops

What do you guys think? I've been shopping around, and I think i am going to pick one up. Good Choice or Bad Choice?

MrChops

Yeah that's what i was looking at, I love how it's a 6 piece maple kit for only 700 dollars. Plus I played on one at guitar center and really liked it. I was set on the Catalina Ash until I played on the maple, fell in love with it. Now all I have to do is sell my Rockstar and save up a few bucks.

mikebodrums

I have the catalina birch five piece kit in cherry red, and have just been in love with the way they sound. I bought them so i would not have to take my ludwig super classics out of the house, and have to say they almost sound better, mine came with evans heads and the kick drum sounds killer, i recorded with the gretsch kit and the guy in studio likes them better than his yamaha studio customs....

meta L ucas

if its all maple shells, you CAN NOT go wrong. especially for that kinda price. samash and guitar center will always negotiate price if you think you can hustle them.(i have on a few occasions.) they will either lower the price or throw something in for free. sometimes even both. you gotta know how to talk to them. at cost, those drums are probably $350/$400-ish. the 'store' sells them for $700, give-er-take. i encourage you to get them and get them for a bargain. actually, i ORDER you to get that badass kit and make your sound MORE understood and fine. you got my vote on YES. get it. GET IT!

DRUMMINGisLIFE

I own the Catalina Maple kit... and while its great for the price, the snare keeps going out of tune... its seems like it basically cant take a heavy handed hitter. Ive played my share of gigs with it, and by the end of the set, they just dont sound the same. When they are in tune, they are great though.

m

DRUMMINGisLIFE":22wwlj97 said:
I own the Catalina Maple kit... and while its great for the price, the snare keeps going out of tune... its seems like it basically cant take a heavy handed hitter. Ive played my share of gigs with it, and by the end of the set, they just dont sound the same. When they are in tune, they are great though.
here's a thread about slipping lugs, and some solutions to the problem:

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=1597