Gretsch Catalina Club Mod

slingerland66

so my band has just picked up quite a few shows... and im very reluctant to cart around my slinglerland 1966 kit and worring about it getting ripped off damaged etc...

i was looking at this gretsch kit at guitar center and fell in love with it. the bass drum 20x 22 is punchy as hell. the toms have a very deep tone that i like. the snare is ok... i still plan on using my orange county vented snare. and its only 600 bones and looks dope as hell with the silver finish with black stripes.

i plan on buying them tomorrow, so does anyone use these drums or have opinions on them?

drummert2k

these are great drums for the money. good sound, they had a good review in modern drummer a few months back and they look sweet.

keep that slingerland at home under a dust cover. those babies dont need to be taken out on the road unles you can hire body guards to watch them 24/7

slingerland66

drummert2k":26s69fzq said:
these are great drums for the money. good sound, they had a good review in modern drummer a few months back and they look sweet.

keep that slingerland at home under a dust cover. those babies dont need to be taken out on the road unles you can hire body guards to watch them 24/7

siQ dude thanks for lettin me know whats up. and yea... i usually have my boy whos 6'2 and been to jail watchin my kit at shows hahahaha

kiteboarder

I just bought a Gretsch Catalina Club Mod too. I've been playing for about 12 years and funny enough I had a Slingerland 70's kit until a few years ago. I had seen the Gretsch kit online but I was reluctant to purchase it thinking, "How can such a cheap kit sound good?" But, I had the chance to try one the other day a Guitar Center. I was VERY impressed. I bought the shell kit for $438 including tax. Sweet deal.

Yes, stick with the OCDP snare. You can't beat that. But nonetheless the Gretsch snare can make a great secondary or backup snare. It sounds really good for the price.

h8eternal

after having the catalina maple, I picked up the club mod kit off of craigslist for $350. mint
I re sold the club mod toms and snare and kept the bass drum which I use with my catalina maple toms. aside from color clashing, it sounds great.

dave

I had one, the bass on that set is amazing. The mounted tom, with good tuning is sick, same goes for the floor. I loved mine.

FatherTime

Nothing wrong with mahogany.For some of today's music some would argue it's better. It's just a different sound that's all. Darker. Mahogany, african or american has been used in musical applications were sonic quality is important for many, many years.

The question is american, african, or phillipine. Now I would agree phillipine mahogany would be my last choice. Great for structural stuff. Think old Chris-Craft boats. I have some rough stock in my shop and also have a set worked down to the deminsions for an acoustic guitar. The sonic properties are NOT promising. They're not bad, but definatenly not great.

Now american or african? American (south) and african have very similar sonic properties and visually they can be close as well especially under a finish. American mahogany could be any of three different species while african could be any number of species some not actually mahogany.

Now to the OP : The Gretsch Catalina Club Mod is great. I own it. The hardware is a little suspect but with care it should last. The wraps are beautiful and the kit comes with Evans G1 Coated heads standard. Could be worse right. I would say play it and if it jives with sound in your head, then it's well worth the money.

While I'm just a beginning life as a drummer I have been a musician for 30 years and I build guitars (acoustic) so have an close relationship with the woods in question. The Club Mod is most certainly not philipine mahogany. The wood used has the appearance of american mahogany but I can't say with any certainty american or african. Sonically they're very close anyway. I would say even more so in a multi-ply configuration.

EDIT: I emailed Gretsch and asked. They said the wood is not african but "whatever they use in Taiwan". That leads me to believe it may in fact be either A, phillipine mahogany or B, some other wood they are calling mahogany. (that's common in the wood industry) Either way I stand by my comments that there is nothing wrong with mahogany. I may have to revisit my opinion of Phillipine mahogany however.

Goes to show that even though I build guitars and am familiar with the wood in that context, In drums I have a lot to learn. That makes sense I suppose given the ply configuration that is accepted in drums and frowned upon in guitars.. We would never build an acoustic guitar from plexi-glass... VistaLites on the other hand are big bucks.

Still...

Nothing wrong with mahogany.

SocKeT

I know this is an older post, but its wierd because i have a 1970 Slingerland kit and a Catalina Club Mod and a OCDP snare too

fearitself

Gonna bring this thread back fro the dead.

I am in the market for a new kit. Now usually I play on a 5 piece, but today at our studio I was giving a 4 piece kit to jam on and I kind of liked it and I kind of didnt for reasons unknown to me.

What are the biggest advantage/disadvantages of 4/5 piece kits.

After playing the 4 piece, the Club Mod looks really good to me.

Llama_Dude

I have a yamaha made of mohagony and it sounds great. I wouldn't give it up for anything. exept maby a Neaveu set. ooohhhh yeah.....
back to the subject. I got to play one at guitar center not long ago and I loved it. the bass is tight and punchy and the 12" tom sings and the 16" is like deep thunder. I really want one.

rhaAw@

ha ha I actually came looking for a drumming forum to ask about this kit and found this thread on the first page. I think I'm gonna get one of these kits they're a bit more pricey in england though. £399.

FatherTime

You can always add a tom. Gretsch doesn't make one for it but I added this Ddrum tom. Anything red sparkle with black hardware seems to fit in ok even without the black stripe. I'm sure you could do the same with the silver kit. I may add a floor tom at some point as well.

botcore69

nice drummin kiteboarder that was pretty tight. like i said earlier in this thread i was thinkin of gettin one of these kits, and from that it sounds pretty good. i thort the bas might sound abit bigger but its still got a good low punch to it. what heads are u using?

kiteboarder

Oh, you're not going to hear a "BIG" sound out of this recording. I was only using 1 mic, an SM57 to pick up the entire kit. I was not aiming for a good sound. I was just playing around with my computer. I'm planning on doing something similar soon with more mics and with the click track through headphones to keep it out f the mics.

For a big sound, I would need to close mic all the drums and then put at least 2 overheads.

But, in real life, the bass drum would most definitely be my favorite part of the kit. The snare would be the last.

Oh, and the heads are the stock G1's which I'm going to switch off soon to coated EC2's. For the resonant heads... Well, don't know yet what I'm getting.

Thanks on the compliments about the drumming. -D