Gretsch Catalina Birch Vs. DW Pacific Cx Maple.. help?

percussle

hey having a trouble comparing these tWo kits im interested in buying, i was hoping you guys could help me score the best deal and what you suggest could be a better option, don't get me wrong, both kits seem exceptionally stunning (and i know theres better KITS, but these r within the price range). or maybe theres some prvious/present owners of one of these then im sure you could give some pro's con's.

thanks in advance.

Gretsch Catalina Birch:

advertised:
6 piece Gretsch Catalina Birch drum kit. 15 months old. Includes 20 inch Zildjian Z Custom ride, 16 inch Zildjian Z Custom crash, Paiste Rude 14 inch hi hat, Custom made 15 inch crash, 8 inch Zildjian K splash cymbal. Does not include seat or hardware (except tom mount and 2 x rck tom attachments). Payed $1800 for the kit brand new, $1000 for Zildjian crash, ride, and hi hat secondhand, $300 for custom made crash new, $210 for Zildjian splash new. price listed is 1,400AUD

dw pacific cx blue onyx:
advertised:

Drum shells and tom mounts only,
Used dw pacific cx kit , bought brand new just over a year ago . Immaculate condition apart from some scuff marks on the bass drum hoop from the kick pedal , inculdes 5 toms , snare and bass drums. 6 months old skins on it which are remo pinstripes on the toms , powerstroke 4 on the snare and evans emad on the bass , altogether worth $350 new. The kit was bought for just under $3000 new and has never left the house. This is your chance to score a great 7 peice kit which is great for beginers or pros alike.
What you are getting with this sale are :
22x18 bass drum
14x5 snare drum
8x7 rack tom
10x8 rack tom
12x9 rack tom
14x12 rack tom
16x14 floor tom
2 single tom mounts
one dual tom mount
price listed is 1,300

dwtoast72

Dude, OBVIOUSLY I am going to say DW. But Gretsch is in the habit of making some great kits here lately. I mean, they've always made great kits. But lately (past 2-3 years) the've been doing really well. If I had to make a decision RIGHT NOW!!! I would say go with the Pacifics. I play and love DW. PDP has been doing amazing justice to the intermediate line of drums since their introduction and would always recomend them. Gretsch make truely great drums, but my experience says go PDP!

SGarrett

I'd get the Gretsch because it has more value for the money. However, you're comparing apples and oranges with birch and maple.

And this really irks me. Pacific drums are NOT DW drums. DW drums are made is Oxnard California and PDP is made in Mexico at a completely different factory. In fact, DW doesn't even make PDP. They own PDP. The company was started by Chris Lombardi as a way of separating himself from his father's achievements with Drum Workshop. Do you say, "GM Cadillac" or do you just call it a Cadi or Cadillac? Same deal.

JAdrums2k

SGarrett":2n9b4asc said:
I'd get the Gretsch because it has more value for the money. However, you're comparing apples and oranges with birch and maple.
I'm gonna agree with that.

Gretsch is making some great kits these days... especially the birch line. Very nice drums. Plus with the Gretsch kit you're getting hardware & cymbals, with the DW you're just getting shells and mounts.

rufus4dagruv

I'm going to recommend the Gretsch. It's still a bit pricey as the conversion to the American dollar puts that kit at about $1,230. Catalina birch kits new were going for around $599.00 in the states I believe. With all of those cymbals though, it does sound like a decent deal. Even if you don't like the cymbals, you can probably Ebay them to get some of the money back. Ideally, if you could check out the kits, or at least see some pics, you could probably make a more educated decision. Good luck.

JAdrums2k

rufus4dagruv":w5hamt08 said:
I'm going to recommend the Gretsch. It's still a bit pricey as the conversion to the American dollar puts that kit at about $1,230. Catalina birch kits new were going for around $599.00 in the states I believe. With all of those cymbals though, it does sound like a decent deal. Even if you don't like the cymbals, you can probably Ebay them to get some of the money back. Ideally, if you could check out the kits, or at least see some pics, you could probably make a more educated decision. Good luck.
The maple kits were selling for $599.... the birch kits were $999

drummer912

the birch's are only $499 for a five piece shell pack now. I'd go with the Gretcsh, good drums, good cymbals.

percussle

SGarrett":2nb46l2u said:

And this really irks me. Pacific drums are NOT DW drums. DW drums are made is Oxnard California and PDP is made in Mexico at a completely different factory. In fact, DW doesn't even make PDP. They own PDP. The company was started by Chris Lombardi as a way of separating himself from his father's achievements with Drum Workshop. Do you say, "GM Cadillac" or do you just call it a Cadi or Cadillac? Same deal.
i wasnt saying they were made by DW at all.

percussle

yeah the cymbals were kind of the reason why i was struggling making my decision, seems like a great offer. besides the crappy tobacco sunburst finish :lol:. does any1 know if the Catalina birch can make some good results with studio work. and live? same with the cymbals.

i appreciate the help fellas!! thx

percussle

rufus4dagruv":38uujd0n said:
theres a gretsch catalina birch kit down at my crappy local music shop 2,459. with sabian b8 cymbals :O. sounds like a rip off and thats in aussie dollars..

SGarrett

Not sure. Depends on how much money I make from selling my dad's house. There are two mortgages to pay off, a probate attorney, the real estate agent, and then a 50/50 split with my mom.

I'd like to get a Pearl BRX because I've been wanting one for years. But I'd also like to get a DW birch or maybe a Starclassic Performer. I'll need a new set of hardware for it so that's a concern. My plan is to use my PDP LX for live gigs and keep this set up as my practice/tracking kit. But, I may settle for a PDP FX. It all depends.

BillRayDrums

Yeah I'd opt for the Gretsch kit. Then again, I kinda got burned out on the sound of maple. I like the singiness of birch.

percussle

drummer912":27slo432 said:
umm i don't think tht guy paid $1,800 for that drum set brand new. they retail for $499 for a five piece.
they value for AUD1,999 + here in australia mang