Great video footage of crazy French drummers

Spydr2000

Howepirate":2ylorc0m said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvuv-lk5mU
Well, all I can say that guy has his place in drumming but I enjoyed the first video much more. The are more thing to drumming than playing fast as you can. If you'd ask this guy to play a funk beat, he probably couldn't do because he spent to much time working on his kick/snare beat. I think groove is more important than speed, I'm just not touched with the da da da da da da da drum beat.

Gaddabout

Howepirate":qtw58c44 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvuv-lk5mU
Well, he is French.

I don't mean to step on any toes here, but blastbeats don't thrill me much. What you posted compared to what I posted is the difference between being a weightlifting star and playing professional football at an All-Pro level. There's all kinds of skill and nuance required to make the transition from the gym to the football field.

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate that someone took the time to sit down and work up the skill to play fast blastbeats, but once you've heard one, you really have heard them all. If I'm going to listen to a drummer shred, I'd rather hear something more complex and more challenging than just ... lots of notes.

Gaddabout

Those were definitely more musical efforts to my ears. Thanks for the links. I like how he's applying his double bass chops to different kinds of phrasings ... although the constant barrage of DB notes still kinds of makes my eyes glaze over. That's a style choice, though, and not a criticism.

When I think of complex phrasing, I think of creative space that pushes the music a long, and somtimes straddles the the music rather than mimicing it.

Here's a clip from Bill Stewart that I think displays that concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBMv1j_gVE

Howepirate

oh man way groovy i absolutly love that style i love a fat groove or a strewed pin-point idea rolled on some mylar heads it makes ideas buzz outta my head like no other

as far as the french dude he is just amazing for his style i bring my chops to follow his but i love layin down a funky groove

im an all around drummer im 17 im in a worship band and a metal band hah great way to expand your playability and articulation

im not another uneducated kid who can bang a few drums fast and make it sound good although it impresses a lot of other people its sometimes almost unnatural to me lol my library i have everything from death metal to steely dan so just a little about me im just another drum lover :lol:

Gaddabout

Howepirate":1knxz2o9 said:
oh man way groovy i absolutly love that style i love a fat groove or a strewed pin-point idea rolled on some mylar heads it makes ideas buzz outta my head like no other

as far as the french dude he is just amazing for his style i bring my chops to follow his but i love layin down a funky groove

im an all around drummer im 17 im in a worship band and a metal band hah great way to expand your playability and articulation

im not another uneducated kid who can bang a few drums fast and make it sound good although it impresses a lot of other people its sometimes almost unnatural to me lol my library i have everything from death metal to steely dan so just a little about me im just another drum lover :lol:
Very cool, Howe. I got my start in the worship band, too. I think it's outstanding to have a wide range of influences. Wish there were more young drummers like you!

The Heel

I enjoyed both styles. Romain Goulon is an absolute animal.

His blast beats remind me a little bit of Derek Roddy, but Roddy is a machine... or a mutant... or maybe both.