Great Jazz Snares

Shalaq

I wonder what you think is the best size for a snare drum if your'e having a jazz gig. Do you prefer deep drums or shallow? What snares do you prefer? Any specific models?

mjolnir

you should use a steel snare like old ludwig but the important thing is that the snare must be a cheap snare with a good response cause i don't things that first jazz drum player were playing whit a pearl free floating snare at 800$!!!it won't sound like jazz...you have to thing of the sound first after find the right snare

Johnny Cat

mjolnir":w6g1h3nn said:
i don't things that first jazz drum player were playing whit a pearl free floating snare at 800$
I'm sure they would have been if they were available back then though. :)

The Rogers Dynasonic was extremely popular and highly sought after, and it was considered cutting edge for its time.

Dale

I just gave away a Rogers Dynasonic to a young drummer mate of mine. :D

I think a shell in the 5 to 5 1/2 x 14" steel shell drum is always a good choice. But you can also use wood. It depends on the sound you are going for.

zackman

im not sure but i have a 5x14 vintage maple slingerland that sounds amazing for jazz. i like to have a 2 ply head on top and a real thin head on the bottom and i used 40s on it. sounds soooo delicious

Pork Sword

Johnny Cat":2hbopymg said:
mjolnir":2hbopymg said:
i don't things that first jazz drum player were playing whit a pearl free floating snare at 800$
I'm sure they would have been if they were available back then though. :)

The Rogers Dynasonic was extremely popular and highly sought after, and it was considered cutting edge for its time.
that is exactly what I use for all jazz applications...the COB (brass) dynasonics have awesome response....the maple ones are the ones that fetch $600 + dollars on the market...

that and a Black Beauty 5.5 x 14 is a magical drum upon itself....