Good Technique...

deluxe74

Ok, so in response to my cymbals cracking, I've heard alot of stuff about technique and how it relates to cymbals cracking.
Let's face it, everyone's had a show where they get into it a ton and are hitting their cymbals harder than the usual.
So my question is how can you play your cymbals hard and have good technique to prevent cracking?

P.S.
Dave is hitting his cymbals pretty hard at the end, and I don't think anyone is going to say he doesn't have good technique.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YRF7HHzqrG4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YRF7HHzqrG4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

NG1284

The thing is, you don't need to hit them hard to get the right sound unless you're playing on very heavy cymbals. Most of it's just show, but hey, we can expend a little cymbal wear for a good performance.

Anyways, playing lightly/medium is definitely going to extend your cymbal's life, but good technique (rebound, swipe, angle, and shoulder) will make up for a lot of your heavy playing.

deluxe74

xdoseonex":1mb7zd43 said:
hes not hitting them that hard. but notice the angle.
I have my cymbals at an angle pretty much just like that and mine still cracked. I'll look at my technique I guess....

break the prism

you need to be careful where you put pressure on th stick, what angle you're holding the stick at and hitting at, and have your cymbals at a reasonable height and angle in relation to how high or low you sit.

i personally have never broken a cymbal, so this has worked for me.

also, it depends on the durability of your cymbals. weckl playes HHX, a very durable model.

dbkman

i hold my stick like you would if you were hitting a toddler on the head with an empty water bottle...just kinda like it slop over the cymbal. and like some have said, if your cymbals are heavier they are meant to be played a little harder. but technique is huge

dunkerton12

Just because a drummer is a "professional" doesn't mean he/she has good technique. Hell, look at Travis Barker! :wink:

Angle your cymbals a little toward you, so that your stick hits it with a glancing blow and hot perpendicular to the edge of the cymbal. You want to make the cymbal sing. Also, don't crank the cymbal so tight that it hardly wobbles on the stand, this will cause cracking very quickly. In fact, try to learn to play your cymbals with no wing nut on top. If you can learn to play them this way, then you'll be more likely to play them correctly.

SGarrett

Travis Barker has outstanding technique. I don't get why people say he doesn't just because he plays overly hard.

A true professional in today's industry does have good technique. If we're talking the guys who call themselves professional because they got paid $20 to split between them, that's a different story.

break the prism

pro drummers do need to have good technique. barker has good technique, and i can say that being completely opposed to everything the man has ever done with music.

break the prism

Things I saw/heard in that video:

- good drumming technique
- terrible music
- another musical achievement of Barker's that I don't like

deluxe74

break the prism":yenah1ey said:

- terrible music
I agree 100%

dedrummervanrolf

SGarrett":3myvop8h said:
Travis Barker has outstanding technique. I don't get why people say he doesn't just because he plays overly hard.

A true professional in today's industry does have good technique. If we're talking the guys who call themselves professional because they got paid $20 to split between them, that's a different story.
thanks for that. I'm getting tired of people bashing travis barker. he's an amazing drummer, and I don't care if he has 12487 real life soaps, he'll always be one.

Robobob

deluxe74":xbygxebk said:
break the prism":xbygxebk said:

- terrible music
I agree 100%

So I'm the only one that cringes when he hits the small cymbal with 2 hands? :?

xdoseonex

SGarrett":uhd3szn4 said:
xdoseonex":uhd3szn4 said:
No, he plays really damn hard actually.
i'v seen him play. he hits hard. but in that video hes not hitting that hard. and if he is, i must be one of the most powerfull drummers on the planet

xdoseonex

Robobob":15nk4ghs said:
deluxe74":15nk4ghs said:
break the prism":15nk4ghs said:

- terrible music
I agree 100%

So I'm the only one that cringes when he hits the small cymbal with 2 hands? :?
I really do not think he has outstanding technique. At all. both hitting into the cymbals and playing every stroke with your entire arm will earn you a one way ticket to endurence issues and broken cymbals city, U.S.A. Some pople might disagree. but i really think i know good technique when i see it

Alan_

I always cringe when I see people raise their arms that high. A cymbal can only make so much sound.

Howepirate

xdoseonex":mo626vxl said:
SGarrett":mo626vxl said:
xdoseonex":mo626vxl said:
No, he plays really damn hard actually.
i'v seen him play. he hits hard. but in that video hes not hitting that hard. and if he is, i must be one of the most powerfull drummers on the planet
Indeed, I swear I bash my stuff harder.