Good Shoes To Drum In

TheYardstick

I'm not talking about shoes like those DW drum shoes, but just like average everyday shoes, because it is extremely difficult to drum in my Nike Hi-tops.

portnoyesque

I always drum barefoot myself, but I'd get a decent pair of converse or something like that, with really thin rubber soles - that way you get maximum sensitivity.

CDAHoF

Neil Peart from a work in progress " One of Freddy Grubers Dogmatic victims is don't play drums in your sneakers get yourself a pair of dancing shoes" I went to a dance shoe store and tried on a pair of "Jazz Dance" shoes you can get them with rubber (very slick) or suede the idea is to slide as much as possible on your pedals grip in that area is a bad thing barefoot only gives you the feel of the pedals sox slide but the tend to make you want to grip your pedal more thus taking your attention away from other important matters like I need to be playing louder (evil Grin)

Inselman

I do the whole barefoot thing...guess I just started that way. But, Converse Chuck Taylors work pretty well for me when I just sit down to hack.

PaulZILLA

personaly i prefer converse all star chucktaylor high tops. i wear em all the time anyway. some people with smaller feet( i wear 13 reg, 12 chuck taylors) prefer the low tops for drums. ive also been known to drum in those shoes you buy for swimming. like at walmart. really cheap. ive been debating getting a pair of vans slip ons for drumming. they are pretty comfy. i just duno how they would flex and stuff for drumming. if not, im going to look into a pair of converse slip on low tops.

RowanVS

I play in my adio skate shoes which are pretty good. The general rule of the thumb though is as follows:-

-Ideally a flat sole shoe e.g. skate shoes dance shoe.

-sole can't be too thick, so those latest nike air trainers with a 2 inch thick air bubble is out of the picture.

-nothing too heavy. Doc martins goodbye.

Bare footed is ideal if you have enough grip, but lets try too look at least a bit cool here guys n gals!!

drummert2k

i just play in whatever im wearing that day. i never wear big boots or anything, usually running shoes or other kinds of sneakers everyday anyways.

infiznitch

RowanVS":3179g6ly said:
Bare footed is ideal if you have enough grip, but lets try too look at least a bit cool here guys n gals!!
While i do like the feel of barefeet, it just doesn't work for me, especially with double bass. When i get kickin' at those high-speed paces, i just can't get the correct feel. Maybe it's the kickback, maybe it's the lack of weight, i dunno. I'm going to have to agree with the other guys on this one, converse are the best drumming shoes for me.

However i am interested to hear about those Nike running shoes that are supposed to feel like you are barefoot. Has anyone tried drumming in those?

AFR

CDAHoF":24izkc5g said:
Neil Peart from a work in progress " One of Freddy Grubers Dogmatic victims is don't play drums in your sneakers get yourself a pair of dancing shoes" I went to a dance shoe store and tried on a pair of "Jazz Dance" shoes you can get them with rubber (very slick) or suede the idea is to slide as much as possible on your pedals grip in that area is a bad thing barefoot only gives you the feel of the pedals sox slide but the tend to make you want to grip your pedal more thus taking your attention away from other important matters like I need to be playing louder (evil Grin)
Use periods. No one can make sense of what you're saying.

golfchance

portnoyesque":233jhw8a said:
I always drum barefoot myself, but I'd get a decent pair of converse or something like that, with really thin rubber soles - that way you get maximum sensitivity.
Wow, I couldn't imagine drumming barefoot! Even with sneakers, I have to worry about hurting my feet. I like workboots best!

maddrumjockey

TheYardstick":2ndthifk said:
I'm not talking about shoes like those DW drum shoes, but just like average everyday shoes, because it is extremely difficult to drum in my Nike Hi-tops.
I use bowling shoes when i'm not plyain barefoot. They are thin, they slide well and just enough grip when you need it. Ultimately I go barefoot and it's just as cool to play barefoot as to chucks. :twisted:

dob?

i tried playing barefoot but i always end up getting a little too excited and lifting my foot up too high, then of corse the back of the beater wacks the top of my foot... might just be bad technique on my part. but anyway i have a pair of old pumas that feel great. thin soles and just the right amount of grip.

rockdrummer2063

little drummer boy":zirl91s6 said:
well for me puma's..you know those ones that are used in motor sports...
i am goign to have to agree with him. the shoes that i play in are my 3 year old pumas. the sole is about worn off and they are so broken in the feeling is great. when i was in a band i played in my old chucks cause they had a lot of grip and sensitivity. basically i dont think there is a "ideal" drum shoe, play in what you feel comfortable with and what you are used to. that way you know how your foot will react to the kickback and other factors.

Pearl 6 piece export series

14" zildjian mastersound hi-hats
10" " " fast splash
16" " " a custom thin crash
16" " " a custom fast crash
18" " " a custom china
16" sabian b8 pro crash
16" sabian b8 pro thin crash
20" sabian b8 pro rock ride

pro mark 5A Nylon sticks
vater 5a nylon sticks

FastEddie

to be the best shoes are no shoes at all i feel you get more response from the pedals and can feele everything needed.

rto254425

i saw the peart dvd as well. i noticed the shoes he was wearing the dance shoes. I use a pair of those DB drum shoes, they are working out pretty good so far. the sole is a little stiff and needs to break in a little. Before and i still use these is wrestling shoes. same idea, thinner soles. wrestlers need grip on the mats. they look like regular tennis shoe types. i got mine from Eastbay.com. Clearance sale. i wouldn't pay 60-100 bucks for a pair of wrestling shoes. but they do give me a little better feel on the pedals.

Before all these i used Adidas superstar 2G shoes. they were my regular shoes and thru eastbay you can get all kinds of different color schemes.

hit that drum!

Ruben