GOOD RIDE

i cant seem to find a good rock ride. i have a spectacularly amazing jazz ride (zildjian k custom) but it sounds horrible with rock.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

drumur

I have a Zildjian Earth Ride Brilliant that is excellent for rock. heavy cutting ping, super big loud bell.
This ride cuts through everything.
The A custom ping ride is a good rock ride.

ctyjones

If you're looking for something that will cut, but still give you a little body to work with, I dig the Sabian 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride.
Good stuff...

rufus4dagruv

You would most likely want something on the heavy side. Most music stores cater to rock players and will probably have a decent selection of rides that may work for you. I would say take some sticks and A/B them. Good luck.

screamkevin

Saluda's Mist-X Heavy Ride is awesome, I have a custom-made 20", and I love it. Mine is a hybrid sound between a Zildjian 21" Z Custom Light Power Ride, and my 1963 Zildjian A Ride. The Saluda is unreal, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

www.saludacymbals.com/c

Tell Jamie that Kevin sent you. He can make a ride to your exact specs, all you have to do is tell him what you are looking for! And you'll pay less than most other cymbal companies, for a ride that you designed!!

TheYardstick

screamkevin":28tw9gow said:
Saluda's Mist-X Heavy Ride is awesome, I have a custom-made 20", and I love it. Mine is a hybrid sound between a Zildjian 21" Z Custom Light Power Ride, and my 1963 Zildjian A Ride. The Saluda is unreal, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

www.saludacymbals.com/c

Tell Jamie that Kevin sent you. He can make a ride to your exact specs, all you have to do is tell him what you are looking for! And you'll pay less than most other cymbal companies, for a ride that you designed!!
They Custom-make cymbals? :shock:

screamkevin

TheYardstick":6krflxza said:
screamkevin":6krflxza said:

www.saludacymbals.com/c

Yeah, go figure. :wink:

TheYardstick

screamkevin":1ll2r6zo said:
TheYardstick":1ll2r6zo said:
screamkevin":1ll2r6zo said:

www.saludacymbals.com/c

Yeah, go figure. :wink:
So you can tell them what sound qualities you want in your cymbal and they will provide?

screamkevin

Sorry, YS, I thought you were joking!

The answer is YES.

As described above, my 20" Saluda Mist-X Heavy Ride was created after I sent Jamie my treasured 1963 20" Zildjian A Ride, and sound files of a Zildjian Z Custom Light Power Ride. I specified that I wanted a slightly higher, sweeter tone than most rides, a low profile bell, brilliant finish, and a lot of definition, with great overtones at the same time. No darkness.

And that's exactly what I got. For example, the bell of my ride is only about 1/2 to 3/4" higher than the rest of the cymbal, whereas most ride bells are up to 1.5" high.

Saluda has a wide range of options available, including custom riveting, custom lathing (to create "raw" cymbals or bells), custom venting, and the ability to laser-etch your name, band name, or band logo onto the finished product.

Just check out the site, man, and you'll see what I mean. I wouldn't have left Zildjian after 32 years to endorse Saluda just because they offered me a deal. I tried, played, and fell in love with their product.

Contact Jamie via email or phone through the website, and just tell him that I sent you over.

TheYardstick

screamkevin":1a6h7cn5 said:

The answer is YES.

As described above, my 20" Saluda Mist-X Heavy Ride was created after I sent Jamie my treasured 1963 20" Zildjian A Ride, and sound files of a Zildjian Z Custom Light Power Ride. I specified that I wanted a slightly higher, sweeter tone than most rides, a low profile bell, brilliant finish, and a lot of definition, with great overtones at the same time. No darkness.

And that's exactly what I got. For example, the bell of my ride is only about 1/2 to 3/4" higher than the rest of the cymbal, whereas most ride bells are up to 1.5" high.

Saluda has a wide range of options available, including custom riveting, custom lathing (to create "raw" cymbals or bells), custom venting, and the ability to laser-etch your name, band name, or band logo onto the finished product.

Just check out the site, man, and you'll see what I mean. I wouldn't have left Zildjian after 32 years to endorse Saluda just because they offered me a deal. I tried, played, and fell in love with their product.

Contact Jamie via email or phone through the website, and just tell him that I sent you over.
How much did that cost?

SGarrett

It's a little known fact that Sabian does the exact same thing for no extra charge. They just cost more than Saluda to begin with.

I know a guy who had Sabian make him either a 30" or a 32" ride with a Zildjian Constantinople tone.

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":3692uo58 said:
It's a little known fact that Sabian does the exact same thing for no extra charge. They just cost more than Saluda to begin with.

I know a guy who had Sabian make him either a 30" or a 32" ride with a Zildjian Constantinople tone.
thats monstrous! what did he use it for?

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":206md9d0 said:
SGarrett":206md9d0 said:

thats monstrous! what did he use it for?
Big band.

screamkevin

TheYardstick":piyurbc1 said:
screamkevin":piyurbc1 said:

The answer is YES.

How much did that cost?
I can't say how much it cost, since I have an endorsement, it wouldn't be the price that a non-endorser would pay. But I can tell you that NO, it's not a huge cost, and even with custom options like venting or laser etching, you're still going to pay a hell of a lot LESS for your new Saludas than for a new Zidljian, Paiste, Sabian, or Meinl.

break the prism

the 20" K Zildjian ride is good for pretty much everything. i use it for jazz, blues, and funk. Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree uses it as his main ride for everything that he plays.

phil-drummer

20" paiste RUDE ride, bloody brilliant ride, might kill your wallet though. dare i suggest a Z custom thrash ride, their awesome.
Stagg do some pretty trashy rides, their probly better for crashing on tho as they petty much all sound like chinas

dannydrumperc

DrummerBoarderSinger":a6mc9eav said:
i cant seem to find a good rock ride. i have a spectacularly amazing jazz ride (zildjian k custom) but it sounds horrible with rock.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Can you give a better description of what your are looking for? Bell, tone, dry vs. washy, crashable, ping, etc...

I also have a 20" K Ride that takes me everywhere, but that's me.