good music to drum along to and also counting bars

grey_fox

New member
Hey just wondering what bands/songs you like to drum along to?
At the moment i mostly stick with Queens of the Stone Age specificly the songs Dave Grohl did and Foo Fighters as they are my faverite band of all time


Also how do you count the beats in a song? i find that with songs like a song for the dead i just kind of know when guitars are gonna come in and when the fills are gonna start but i know this isn't a good way to carry on as i am going to have to learn to count bars in my head in order to stay in time and know what is coming up

so what did you do?
 

drummert2k

New member
if you dont already know how to read music, learn how to. once you understand bars and phrases, and all that fun stuff you'll hear something and say "that comes in after a phrase and a half" or "3 bars and 3 beats until my fill". you'll replace a lot of your counting with feeling the part
 

grey_fox

New member
drummert2k":1ay69er6 said:
if you dont already know how to read music, learn how to. once you understand bars and phrases, and all that fun stuff you'll hear something and say "that comes in after a phrase and a half" or "3 bars and 3 beats until my fill". you'll replace a lot of your counting with feeling the part
Are there any websites that break down all the reading aspects and stuff?

as the things where people say the bar is in 4 and stuff really confuses me!
6

Thanks
 

drummert2k

New member
grey_fox":2nz12jq2 said:
drummert2k":2nz12jq2 said:
if you dont already know how to read music, learn how to. once you understand bars and phrases, and all that fun stuff you'll hear something and say "that comes in after a phrase and a half" or "3 bars and 3 beats until my fill". you'll replace a lot of your counting with feeling the part
Are there any websites that break down all the reading aspects and stuff?

as the things where people say the bar is in 4 and stuff really confuses me!
6

Thanks
if you dont know how to read music then you should really consider taking lessons even if its just long enough to understand what you're seeing on the paper. or even try buying a beginners snare book just to understand the absolute basics of reading sheet music.

im sure there are websites out there that try to explain how to read notation but having someone who can explain it and demonstrate it for you would be very handy
 

chachaman02

New member
I drum along to all of avenged sevenfold's CD's daily. It really helps my double kick speed. Also I drum along to blink 182 (Enema of the State, blink 182) Incubus (Science) Cynic (Fucus) Dream Theatre (Octavarium) and a whole bunch opf other stuff.
 

Flatliner

New member
you will learn some things from drumming to tracks, but you should get at least a few basic lessons about music, if you don't know what someone means when they say 4/4 or quarter notes or downbeat then you're basically handicaping yourself.
 
Real music that takes talent and endurance. Not shitty bands like Avenged Sevenfold or whoever else.
Heres a little list of some of my favorites to jam along to and have learned from by jamming along to, and the drummers of those bands, some I list the bands era of drummer EX- Dimmu Borgir (Nick Barker era) means the albums by Dimmu that Nick Barker played on
Dream Theater (Mike Portnoy)
Lamb of God (Chris Adler)
Dimmu Borgir (Nick Barker era)
Death (Gene Hoglan, Richard Christy)
Metallica (The one and only Lars)
Halford (Bobby Jarzombek)
Fight (Scott Travis)
Slayer (more Paul Bostaph than Dave Lombardo)
Exodus (Paul Bostaph)
Slipknot (Joey Jordison)
Pantera (Vinnie Paul)
The list could go on and on and on and on.....but theres some to get started. To all aspiring drummer, if you want to know real drumming, real metal drumming, I advise you take that shitty Avenged SevenFold or Blink 182 or whoever the hottest band's cd out of your cd player, and start learning from shit that's in my list. Or things similar to the stuff.
 

drummert2k

New member
fullmetaldrummer87":23m7ubyk said:
Real music that takes talent and endurance. Not shitty bands like Avenged Sevenfold or whoever else.
Heres a little list of some of my favorites to jam along to and have learned from by jamming along to, and the drummers of those bands, some I list the bands era of drummer EX- Dimmu Borgir (Nick Barker era) means the albums by Dimmu that Nick Barker played on
Dream Theater (Mike Portnoy)
Lamb of God (Chris Adler)
Dimmu Borgir (Nick Barker era)
Death (Gene Hoglan, Richard Christy)
Metallica (The one and only Lars)
Halford (Bobby Jarzombek)
Fight (Scott Travis)
Slayer (more Paul Bostaph than Dave Lombardo)
Exodus (Paul Bostaph)
Slipknot (Joey Jordison)
Pantera (Vinnie Paul)
The list could go on and on and on and on.....but theres some to get started. To all aspiring drummer, if you want to know real drumming, real metal drumming, I advise you take that shitty Avenged SevenFold or Blink 182 or whoever the hottest band's cd out of your cd player, and start learning from shit that's in my list. Or things similar to the stuff.
this thread isnt about what metal bands to play along to (and forget joey jordison and lars ulrich, it takes very little talent to play that crap) this thread is for someone who is trying to learn the basics of understanding rhythm and time. mike portnoy, vinnie paul and even the rev and t. barker are talented drummers. but what you really wanna do it learn the basics of understanding 4/4. and then as you get better, then start expanding what you play along to. and dont pick just one genre like the list above states. listen and learn to play EVERYTHING.
 
You must be pretty inexperienced, or close minded. Jordison's chops are pretty dicey. I'm not one of those people who think Jordison is god of drums because he's quick and he's in Slipknot. Most of those people don't know real drumming. But coming from me, a seasoned vet of 15 plus years, I think Jordison is one of the best drummers out there on the scene nowadays. ONE OF THE BEST......not the best. i can appreciate his style and his fills and overall drumwork. it takes a lot of talent to play that shit, and when you play the stuff he plays and the stuff I play, it's a workout trust me. Playing stuff like that for 3 hours straight or more, it takes talent and endurance. Not everbody can play stuff like that. It's pretty obvious you have no experience in playing stuff like that, thus you dont know, and choose to knock it. Dont knock what you dont know, son, it makes you look like an ass.
Lars may not be the greatest drummer, but he's solid and creative.
The Rev and Travis Barker are over rated, that's all there is to it.
Hey, the thread asked "What do you play along to?" So I listed what I played along to, and actually, playing along to Lars and Vinnie Paul can help ya with timing, they're both solid as a rock drummers. Especially Vinnie Paul, the man is a boulder!
Dont be such a close minded prick, my friend. people wont like you very much. It wont get you far.
So whoever started the thread, go pick up a few Pantera cd's and some Metallica cds, hell, even AC/DC too, those are good timing helpers right there.
 

Flatliner

New member
fullmetaldrummer87":yseah117 said:
You must be pretty inexperienced, or close minded. Jordison's chops are pretty dicey. I'm not one of those people who think Jordison is god of drums because he's quick and he's in Slipknot. Most of those people don't know real drumming. But coming from me, a seasoned vet of 15 plus years, I think Jordison is one of the best drummers out there on the scene nowadays. ONE OF THE BEST......not the best. i can appreciate his style and his fills and overall drumwork. it takes a lot of talent to play that shit, and when you play the stuff he plays and the stuff I play, it's a workout trust me. Playing stuff like that for 3 hours straight or more, it takes talent and endurance. Not everbody can play stuff like that. It's pretty obvious you have no experience in playing stuff like that, thus you dont know, and choose to knock it. Dont knock what you dont know, son, it makes you look like an ass.
Lars may not be the greatest drummer, but he's solid and creative.
The Rev and Travis Barker are over rated, that's all there is to it.
Hey, the thread asked "What do you play along to?" So I listed what I played along to, and actually, playing along to Lars and Vinnie Paul can help ya with timing, they're both solid as a rock drummers. Especially Vinnie Paul, the man is a boulder!
Dont be such a close minded prick, my friend. people wont like you very much. It wont get you far.
So whoever started the thread, go pick up a few Pantera cd's and some Metallica cds, hell, even AC/DC too, those are good timing helpers right there.
you've got a lot of enemies and you never really understand why do you?
for a begginer some of the stuff you listed is a little too advanced and not everyone likes a doublebass in their music or even metal music, so it might be advised to give something else. He was also less closeminded than you so I'm really confused.
 

drummert2k

New member
fullmetaldrummer87":2jj84rk8 said:
You must be pretty inexperienced, or close minded. Jordison's chops are pretty dicey. I'm not one of those people who think Jordison is god of drums because he's quick and he's in Slipknot. Most of those people don't know real drumming. But coming from me, a seasoned vet of 15 plus years, I think Jordison is one of the best drummers out there on the scene nowadays. ONE OF THE BEST......not the best. i can appreciate his style and his fills and overall drumwork. it takes a lot of talent to play that shit, and when you play the stuff he plays and the stuff I play, it's a workout trust me. Playing stuff like that for 3 hours straight or more, it takes talent and endurance. Not everbody can play stuff like that. It's pretty obvious you have no experience in playing stuff like that, thus you dont know, and choose to knock it. Dont knock what you dont know, son, it makes you look like an ass.
Lars may not be the greatest drummer, but he's solid and creative.
The Rev and Travis Barker are over rated, that's all there is to it.
Hey, the thread asked "What do you play along to?" So I listed what I played along to, and actually, playing along to Lars and Vinnie Paul can help ya with timing, they're both solid as a rock drummers. Especially Vinnie Paul, the man is a boulder!
Dont be such a close minded prick, my friend. people wont like you very much. It wont get you far.
So whoever started the thread, go pick up a few Pantera cd's and some Metallica cds, hell, even AC/DC too, those are good timing helpers right there.
it just seems like you're a little to close minded to any genre exept metal. which if thats what your into thats fine. but i am actually in a cover band that plays 4 hour sets of slipknot, mudvayne, pantera, slayer, trivium, basically the stuff you seem to be into. it is a workout but its not hard to play drum a drumming standpoint. all you gott do is work on playing fast and you have it. trust me. i play it every weekend.
 
Hey thats why I said, find some AC/DC cds or Pantera or Metallica and jam to that. Especially AC/DC, Phil Rudd is solid, it's a good starting point.
Then once you master that, you move on the the advanced stuff. You'll learn more about counting and bars and all that good stuff, especially Dream Theater, Rush, and Death.
 
Top