A ping ride

sabian
aax
and idk?

pastie
2002 ride

any suggestions idk what to buy!

break the prism

the zildjian K and A series have strong roots in jazz.
i play the K ride and A medium crash (as a left side ride)

i'd definitely suggest something from the K series.

Mad_cow

You could try a nice dry ride,

I have a 21 inch dry ride and its killer for jazz,

also I've played a 20 inch ping ride and that was also a good one,

Shalaq

seandude":2h7ea18w said:
i cant fine a really good one i was thinking
zildjian
K dry ride
A ping ride

sabian
aax
and idk?

pastie
2002 ride

any suggestions idk what to buy!
There are jazz rides and there are jazz rides. There are so many types of jazz and so many sounds that can fit the term that it's really a hard question to answer. I personally have 5 "rides"

an Agop 22 empire jazz ride- lots of wash, a little gongy crash sound, but overall the ride is very musical and the wash disappears in context.
Agop 22 pasha ride- I first thought this is a ride for rock/metal, but many drummers refer to the sound as Jack DeJohnette's ride sound before his signature sabians.
Agop 20 sizzle- medium heavy 6 rivets, very musical, works great as a crash, when played in a certain way can give medium to very dry stick definition and the rivets give it loads of ambience
Meinl GenX Langs 18 signal crash/club ride- imagine the 20 sizzle just high pitched, with no rivets and less warmth
Agop 17 turk - it's actually a crash, but I use it as often as a ride as a crash, so no definition really. High pitches ride sound with plenty of complex wash. This cymbal surprisingly can have a very clear stick definition if played well.

I'd suggest looking at traditional turkish cymbals - Agops, Bosphorus (New Orleans series rocks!), maybe Anatolian or Turkish. If you don't like them- maybe a vintage ZIldjian, the new Armand ride or Sabians HHX Manhattan jazz ride. Heck, even a paiste Rude ride can sound jazzy in context played in a certain way :)

Rob Crisp

I have a Zildjian K Custom Dry Light Ride, 22". Personally I love it, but it's a very dry ride, not loads of bright overtones.

Guess it all comes down to what kind of sound you're looking for!

stump

The best jazz sound I ever got out of a ride was a vintage Zildjian sizzle ride. Man it sounded awesome. Check some old swap or pawn shops. They can be a gold mine for vintage cymbals. Peace on ya!

break the prism

if you feel like breaking away from zildjian, meinl makes a pretty sweet dry ride from their byzance series. their jazz series is also great, so i've heard.

skitch

I would say try to find a K Zildjian Ride from the 1991 -2002 eras as these seem to very good ride cymbals. No Heavy Ride or anything else; the plain K ride. Also, an A Zildjian Light Ride is what Buddy Rich used - a 20" model. You might try finding one of these as well!