good for bottom of my toms?

drummert2k

i like to use my bottom heads to tune my drums more to the pitch than the top heads. tune the bottom heads tight or loose depepnding on if you want your drum pitched high or low.

Mikkey

I rocked the Pinstripe(top)/Diplomat(Bottom) combo for a while. The sustain is a little long if tuned tightly but they do have an uncanny projection. Good for live applications I guess. I don't have the pinstripes anymore and probably won't keep the diplomats either. I'm going for the RS2 and Hi-frequency combo now. Never tried the Evans resonant tom heads. I like the Hazy 300 so maybe someday I'll get around to it.

quikstang2

With clear Pinstripe batters I've gotten great sound out of clear and ebony ambassadors for resos.
I have them tuned about as low as they go, both sides.

Rockula!

I use Diplomats as well
Since my style is in the industrial vein, I like to tune them just up to pitch
It makes the drums sound a little bit distorted
Most drummers would not like this tuning because it sounds a bit ugly
However, it fits in perfectly with the music I play

The thinnest heads are what most people prefer for resonant heads
It is generally standard practice to tune the batter head to the desired note and then to tune the resonant to a sympathetic note
It doesn't have to be the same note
You can experiment with going above and below your bater head note
If you want to hear only one head while tuning both, try sitting the tom on a piece of carpet
It will completely muffle the head you are not tuning (on the top, of course)
Flip the drum over a couple of times and experiment with the tunings

scrubs

Not to steal the thread, but has anyone tried the Attack clear single-ply heads as resos? The price is tempting, but I'm worried that they'll suck.

meta L ucas

any head thats 1-ply and thin will work great as a reso. it really doesnt matter what brand it is. you dont want to use a heavy duty head as a reso. itll sound like you are hitting grocery bags.

wak

meta L ucas":3md7m6yn said:
any head thats 1-ply and thin will work great as a reso. it really doesnt matter what brand it is. you dont want to use a heavy duty head as a reso. itll sound like you are hitting grocery bags.

certainly does buddy, dont ever put a batter head on the bottom, it can make even the best heads sound horrible

thats the setup that was on my first kit when i bought it, its fine at first, but when they wear a LITTLE, it goes to shit, and is unretrievable
single ply, either remo / evans for me from now on
although to be honest, im not a fan of double ply heads since i got my new kit, the singles on that are more responsive, have a better rebound, and i think sound "nicer"

not had a chance to change them since as its a lot of money for a full set of heads (not that i care anyway, thats my practice kit, not for recording or gigs) think i'll change them when i need to sell it

sp4zium

meta L ucas":1pygg24j said:
some people like that sound... like joey jordisson...

funkdrmr

meta L ucas":1uv2xuir said:
Sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

On my Recording Customs, I use 2 combinations:

EC2 batter / G2 Clear Reso - Live
G2 Coated batter / G2 Clear Reso - Recording

My tone sounds NOTHING like hitting grocery bags. It's all in knowing how to tune your drums for the tone and sustain you're looking for. My drums are mic'd up at most every gig, and at small venues not mic's up I still have great projection & sustain....again all in the tuning.

Could I have a little more sustain with a G1 one on bottom, of course? But I have plenty of sustain now, plus a punch on every tom (8/10/12/14/16) that can't be had with the single plies.

I got the idea from my drum instructor, who's played on Recording Customs for at least 15 years. He was amazed when he tried the G2 bottom on a whim & got one of the best tom tones he's ever gotten. Recorded, live....he's using this setup. That doesn't mean it's for everyone, but they certainly don't sound like garbage bags.

DrummerByron

funkdrmr":2qxq0k4o said:
meta L ucas":2qxq0k4o said:
Sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

On my Recording Customs, I use 2 combinations:

EC2 batter / G2 Clear Reso - Live
G2 Coated batter / G2 Clear Reso - Recording

My tone sounds NOTHING like hitting grocery bags. It's all in knowing how to tune your drums for the tone and sustain you're looking for. My drums are mic'd up at most every gig, and at small venues not mic's up I still have great projection & sustain....again all in the tuning.

Could I have a little more sustain with a G1 one on bottom, of course? But I have plenty of sustain now, plus a punch on every tom (8/10/12/14/16) that can't be had with the single plies.
I'm assuming by the name G2 Reso that those heads were designed to be reso heads, this may be the way to go. I have heard a lot of great things about G2s. I am still using my stock Ludwig heads for my reso heads and they sound fine. I have been messing around with different tuning and DW suggests that you tune both top and bottom heads to the same pitch. I tried that with my floor toms and they are quite thunderous without too much over-ring. I have been reading the Drum Tuning Bible and it's a lot of info to digest, but I really want to get my drums to sound the best so I am going to read all of it--eventually. Here is the URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html

htjdrummer

Coated Emperor Batters, Suede Ambassador for resonants on my 12" & 13" and Coated Ambassador on my 16" Floor tom. I get a lot of compliments on the tone of my kit. 24x 22(Dep x Dia) bass has a Remo Powersonic Clear (Batter) and Powerstroke 3 ( Reso with (2) 4" holz). All Maple kit with 45deg bearing edges.

Mikkey

htjdrummer":2p8f6xg3 said:
Coated Emperor Batters, Suede Ambassador for resonants on my 12" & 13" and Coated Ambassador on my 16" Floor tom. I get a lot of compliments on the tone of my kit. 24x 22(Dep x Dia) bass has a Remo Powersonic Clear (Batter) and Powerstroke 3 ( Reso with (2) 4" holz). All Maple kit with 45deg bearing edges.
What does the Powersonic bass head sound like? Is it more "boom" or more "thud" with a medium mid-range?

drummer619

well my personal preference is Evans Hydralics but i don't like overtones coming off my toms so they suit me, Remo Pinstripes work good too for resonant heads

Shalaq

Resonant heads are supposed to resonate. Pinstripes make drums sound dead and if you put them on the reso side you might as well have no reso heads at all.