Going on tour but I don't have drum cases, suggestions?

Reverend Chainsaw

Well, not a tour, but the band has a show next Friday in Yakima, Wa and its about a 4 hour drive from our home base town of Washougal. The game plan is to take a u-haul trailer. Problem is, I got no drum cases, because I can not afford them right now, and I just got a brand new 5 piece Allegra drum kit.
Any suggestions on the safest way to transport drums in a u-haul trailer with out drum cases?

Thanks for the help.

SmellsLikeIan

Just don't. Seriously. How much did you spend on that set? I hear Allegras are not cheap. Cases, in comparison, are. At least spend a hundred bucks and get some bags, they will be much better than nothing. It would probably cost just as much to tie foam pads around all of them anyway.

SmellsLikeIan

Or take your old kit, if you have it still. Yes, you may be itching to play those pretty new drums in front of a crowd, but they may not be as pretty after a 4 hour drive with no cases......

CASCINAIDRUMS

Use pletty of moving blankets, you don't want to scratch those new drums.
buy some drum bags if you can't afford them wrap them good with moving blankets and make sure there not going to move around or anything else. Tie the blankets around then drums.

Have fun and good luck

Get some cases soon,
Peace

screamkevin

I agree with Ian. Just don't. Take a beater kit, or bite the bullet and at least get some padded bags. But don't take them out with no cases, you'll destroy them.

drummert2k

Taking a good kit on the road even with hard cases still gets dings and nicks. if its gonna be in a trailer without cases, just dont even take that kit. it wont be worth it in the end. or just drop the money to buy cases. buying cases will be much cheaper than buying a new kit.

Reverend Chainsaw

My drums are protected with tour tuff, so they wont get dingged or scratched. When I do gigs localy, and always wrap my drums with blents and shit. Would bubble wrap be a good idea?
And my Allegra's are not cheep at all.
You can see pictures of my Allegras at http://www.myspace.com/reverendchainsaw
Oh yeah, I got new music from the band posted also.

drummert2k

nothing you wrap around them could replicate having padded hard cases. if you really like your drums and dont want them beaten up, dont take them on the road without cases.

Mike T

At the uhaul place spend 25.00 and buy someof their heavy duty Cardboard boxes put a old blanket over the boc then press a drum down in they work great in a pich...i have to agree with don't go without cases but those big boxes do work well..

RFLTenors

if all else fails and you can't find the money, wrap them up in thick blankets. the best way to go would be hard cases or bags though.

I would agree with everyone who said don't take the chance of not having cases. You wouldn't believe what can happen to drums when they're rolling around in a vehicle, and the thoughts that always go through my head are what if they get dropped during load in/out, someone could open the door of the vehicle and one could accidently fall out, and worst of all, if you get in some kind of an accident. There are just too many things that could happen.

I have hard cases with foam lining, and it's probably the best investment I ever made to protect my kit. They're only a couple hundred dollars, which seems expensive, but compared to having to replace some of your equipment it's a lot cheaper!

wombat_drums

I'm sure you probably dont really care but If you cant get some cases or bags, (make sure they are heavily padded!) put some good soft blankets wraped around them and find some cardboard boxes to put em in, make sure they dont move around in them. the more padding the better. dont use bubble wrap, it tears and is a bastard when packing again after the gig. but if you have a beat around kit take that. its better than your new kit getting dinged. a freind of mine just went and bought a new maple kick rim for his pearl due to bad packing. Remember, Its better to be safe than sorry.
have fun and enjoy the gig. :D

Reverend Chainsaw

zen_drummer":3rbtlgci said:
Reverend Chainsaw":3rbtlgci said:
My drums are protected with tour tuff, so they wont get dingged or scratched.
OK, I'll bite... what's tour tough, and what does it do?
Tour Tuff is a material that is wrapped around the drum. It comes in about every color you can think of. Tour tuff will not scratch or ding your drums.
The great folks at the Allegra Factory to me the main 2 drums that you want to protect the most in the kick and the snare.
I will inspect the trailor then I will make my choice. My new Allegras, or my Pearl it. I really do want to represent Allegra in Yakima.

drummert2k

unless you wrap your drum in plastic cases with padding on the inside (a.k.a. cases) a fall out of the trailer or even a guitar or amp pressed against it or sliding against it in the traler could damage the shell. to risky, I'd either drop the cash to get cases or take a differant kit. i just got dont taking a brand new kit on a 2 month tour with hard padded cases and i still brough them home with a few dings in them. i cant imagine how'd they look with no cases.

Mike T

I still use humes and berg cases to this day i have had them or a new set like them since 1965 i buy then a bit oversize and i use packing blankets like you see on furniture from mayflower moving vans so that when they are packed they do not move and unless run over they ride fine ..i have never had a injury while they were packed in this way..

just lay out a blanket on the opened case take a drum and push it and the blanket down in the case take the leftover blanket and pull it over the top of drum and strap it closed..