going 2 the studio

EOTE_drummer

somebody told me that u should have toms, tuned different for the studio, than u would have them tuned for a show. any ideas or opinions? should i go for a lower tuning 2 get a deeper sound?

drummert2k

no, its not really a pitch thing. and many studios use differant mics and condensors and software and hardware that will also effect your sound. the environment has a lot to do with it also. and watch using studio rings and stuff. they tend to have a little buzz from vibration. biggest mistake i hear in studios is drummers muffling their drums too much and making them what they think is thumpy. on the disc it sounds lifeless and flat. the engineer will have all kinda of goodies to tweak your sound. get to the studio and get good tones and let the engineer or producer worry about gating and that kind of stuff

stump

drummert2k":26jnrmte said:
no, its not really a pitch thing. and many studios use differant mics and condensors and software and hardware that will also effect your sound. the environment has a lot to do with it also. and watch using studio rings and stuff. they tend to have a little buzz from vibration. biggest mistake i hear in studios is drummers muffling their drums too much and making them what they think is thumpy. on the disc it sounds lifeless and flat. the engineer will have all kinda of goodies to tweak your sound. get to the studio and get good tones and let the engineer or producer worry about gating and that kind of stuff
Agreed! Just make sure that your kit is tuned and if you have a good sound guy, trust his ear. The sound guys can do alot with good clean tracks. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Make sure your drums are tuned...most importantly!!!!!! No buzzing or rims clacking together...........Warm up for an hour at the studio so ur at ur prime........people will hear this recording for atleast 6 months to a year as ur band hands out or sells ur demo (u want to sound ur best)! Have fun and b creative thats all u need to know!

Good Luck

www.myspace.com/purgatorymn

break the prism

i always have my toms fine-tuned, but i usually play with Remo Muffls at gigs. in the studio i take them off immediately though. i record the drums and then go to the soundboard and get them to sound nice and fat.
bringing muffling material into the studio with you will sound nice in your headphones while recording, but they make your drums sound dead on tape.
first and foremost, make sure to tune all of your drums, including your bass and snare. i can't tell you how many times i've worked with drummers that ignored their bass drum especially.