Gloves?

DrummerSnake

Just wondering how many guys, ahem, people play with gloves. Is it just metal players? I used to, I also used to tape my sticks. But then, I also used to play with marching sticks (I don't recommend it, unless you've got a lot of money for new heads all the time.) While I'm asking, is there anyone that tapes any kind of unique grip onto thier sticks, to fit thier hands better? Or am I the only one?

i like to play with gloves. my mom picked me up a set of zildjian drummers gloves one day for me to try out and theyve helped me out a bunch. better grip, slightly better controll, plus no more blisters. i love em. but yes, i am a metal drummer. but i also play a ton of other genres as well. but gloves are most helpful with hard rock/metal drumming. otherwise its not very necessary. they do look cool too though :D

Piddywiffle

All preferance. You wont know till you try em. I tried em and didnt like them. I felt disconnected from my sticks. Oh well looks like im gonna be getten plenty of "second skin" from the drug store.

screamkevin

I play using gloves. My band only plays 2-3 times a month, so I don't have the callouses that most regularly gigging drummers do, so gloves are a must for me. It took me a while to get used to them, but it's all gravy now.

Kaos

depends sometimes i do sometimes i don't I use franklin batters gloves that I got for 5.00 bucks and I also wrap my sticks with franklin hockey stick tape cuz I can wrap a brick of 12 pairs with one roll for about 2.00 bucks.

I guess maybe I should hit franklin up for an endorsement and get them into the drum market too. lol

trstn

I used to wear gloves years ago, but I hit too hart with them and destroyed my gear frequently. So I worked on the playing part of drumming in contrast to the hitting part. Gloves got lost in that process. I still need to buy a lot of sticks, so I don't put tape on them which is a question of cost. I only use stick which are not coated. I have seen drumtechs who used a knive to pick on the handle part of a stick to increase the grip, I tried that, it's nice if you really need to hold on your stick while playing. I said to myself, if I cannot hold my sticks while playing, I'm playing to hard.

rock
trstn

mortem

Piddywiffle":8be3z4e2 said:
I tried em and didnt like them. I felt disconnected from my sticks.
Yeah, same here.. I tried them around 4 years ago but didn't like em. I felt like I had less control over the sticks while wearing gloves..

Zatan

I agree as well. I like to to feel what I'm doing and therefor I don't like gloves, shoes or socks when I play. In case of the occasional blister I use sports tape or bandaid (managed to bleed from a burst blister all over my kit during a show once, so now I always keep something to patch myself up handy ;) ).

Jaki

... I play death/thrash/power/black metal which all need alot of hand motion and movment, I think gloves jsut get in the way and you can't feel how the stick is moving. I like to feel my stick hahaha. If you get blisters and stuff it means your hands arn't use to the treatment, there is quite alot of reasons why you can get blisters.

woodern sticks are dry and can absorb moisture out of the hands - strange but true

carbosticks ( my personal fav ) just feel cold, but not dry, they heat up as you play with no gloves anyway and it takes a good hammering before you break them..

Kris Marrizon

I do have some Ahead gloves but sometimes when I wear them I find I grip too tight and my hands ache.
Am I just wierd, lol
I always feel like I need to stretch my hands out

i started wearing gloves because when i really went at it at all day band practises, i got heaps of blisters that hurt like hell. i wore gloves for about 2 years and they worked really well, but they got really hot and sweaty. i do not wear gloves now and i dont get blisters anymore. i dont know why. but if your wondering if gloves work. yes they do!

automaster31

screamkevin":36yqzbk3 said:
I play using gloves. My band only plays 2-3 times a month, so I don't have the callouses that most regularly gigging drummers do, so gloves are a must for me. It took me a while to get used to them, but it's all gravy now.

same here. a friend of mine told me that he'd give me an old pair he had laying around that he never used. zildjians. odd for the first hr of playing w/ them. afterward, no difference from the days w/o them. saved me $ and he has less clutter @ his house. i kinda get lucky like that.

Benhamin

i think its funny when play play gigs with gloves
maybe the guitarist should wear gloves to protect his fingers and better grip
and the vocalist should wear a mouth guard

Timekeep69

I used to wear Ahead gloves and liked them but after sweating in them a few times they get pretty nasty and the leather starts to disintegrate.

BillRayDrums

I had to play once in Vegas duringthe winter- it was like 15 degrees outside and I bought some "Ahead" gloves. I hate playing with them but I still have them today and they are soooooo comfortable. I use them in the winter because they are warm and feel great.

stump

I personally don't like gloves. I have been playing for a long time so I have calluses. It takes awhile but the blisters turn into calusses and the rawness goes away. If you don't play alot then the blisters might persist and gloves might help. If you feel that you are loosing feel with gloves then try ones with the finger tips cut out.

stump

AHHH! Forgot to say that for drummers who play without gloves....try Zil-wax. Helps alot with grip. Peace.

Jon_Norman

I play all kinds of music, from Jazz to Heavy Metal. I have not yet tried gloves, but i do tape my sticks aswell with hockey tape. Other then the goo i get from a mixture of sweat and the stuff the makes the tape stick, I love taping. I get all the grip i need from it.