Gloves

Fraz_whatley

I'm constantly getting blisters and was wondering if any other of you guys bought gloves 2 combat the problem, and what you think. obviously im talkin about drumming gloves not woolen mittens that your nan knits you

nickbaldwin

I have Meinl drum gloves, definately helps with the blisters, I still get little ones beneath my little finger on my palm, but everywhere else they have dissappeared.

I used to get them all over my hands before, and I had a couple of really bad ones which have now scarred, so gloves seemed to be the answer for me, and they worked!

The downside is its harder to spin your sticks, but its well worth it, you can just learn to do it with gloves on, whereas you cant just learn to not get blisters.

The Alien Drummer

You'll get several responses Pro and against.
Personally I prefer the old "play until you don't get 'em anymore" approach. I'm an old man but I haven't had a blister in probably 18+ years. I put in about 35-40 hours a month on the drums.
Many a pro use gloves though!

THE EXPOSED

i had the same problem a few years ago and got a pair of ahead gloves and couldnt stand them. it just didnt feel right to me. just keep playing with blisters until you develope calists (sorry cant spell) on your hands. thats what i did!!! :D

Fraz_whatley

thanks :D ive gone with meinl drum gloves *im a meinl fan haha* because i cant stand the pain of blisters they put me off my drumming thanks for the advice. And about the stick spinning i spin with the tips of my fingers so i bought fingerless ones *obviously covering where i get the blisters

nickbaldwin

Fraz_whatley":1b4yk5p2 said:
thanks :D ive gone with meinl drum gloves *im a meinl fan haha* because i cant stand the pain of blisters they put me off my drumming thanks for the advice. And about the stick spinning i spin with the tips of my fingers so i bought fingerless ones *obviously covering where i get the blisters
Cool man hope they're good for you. They feel nice, I love tight leather! :p

devilspain

yeah play constantly for a few years and you dont get them any more. ive been using gloves lately mainly for extra grip! :D

screamkevin

I use Zildjian gloves, along with Gator Grip roll-on tackifier. Works wonders for me. I don't have the chance to play very often, my band only plays about 2 times a month, and I can't put my kit in my house for practice, so it's just me and a pad most of the time.

drummert2k

Fraz_whatley":1fl8p8wf said:
I'm constantly getting blisters and was wondering if any other of you guys bought gloves 2 combat the problem, and what you think. obviously im talkin about drumming gloves not woolen mittens that your nan knits you
good technique will prevent you from rubbing for hands raw with blisters. if you're getting blisters you're either not practing enough to callous up or you're technique and grip is creating to much friction. working on your technique and grip rather than resorting to gloves will not only help your blister problem but also help your overall playing