Giovanni Hidalgo Master Class with Percussity

Percussity

Percussity presents - A Free Afro Cuban and Flamenco Master Class with the world's best

Guest artists: Giovanni Hidalgo, Luis Conte, Eguie Castrillo, Albert Vila and Monica Cano

Venue: The London Centre of Contemporary Music, 50 - 52 Union Street, London SE1 1TD

Date: Saturday 27th of January 2007

Time: 12 pm - 6 pm

Percussity is proud to presents a great day of master classes in collaboration with the London Centre of Contemporary Music featuring special guests Giovanni Hildalgo, Luis Conte, Eguie Castrillo, Albert Vila and Monica Cano on Saturday 27th of January 2007 .

This unique percussion day will feature virtuoso musicians from the world of Afro Cuban and Flamenco music. This is a great opportunity to see and hear the world's best. Come down and enjoy a day of clinics and seminars.

The day begins at 12 pm and finishes at 6 pm. Entry is free although we expect a big turnout so make sure you register quickly. To reserve your place please e-mail contact@lccm.org.uk or for more info visit the following websites http://www.percussity.com or http://www.lccm.org.uk

Giovanni Hidalgo
An artist some describe as "touched by the hand of God," conguero Giovanni Hidalgo plays a major role in shaping the way the world thinks of hand drumming. With legendary percussionists Tito Puente, Armando Peraza, Patato and the late José Mangual, Sr. topping the list of his most ardent fans, Giovanni and his natural talent are bringing new respect to Latin rhythms as well as to the rhythms of his birthplace, Puerto Rico. Giovanni prides himself on being "a man of all music," having performed with musicians ranging from Zakir Hussain to Airto Moreira. He has toured with jazz great Art Blakey and continues to tour with Mickey Hart's Planet Drum. For several years he was a member of the Dizzy Gillespie United Nations Jazz Orchestra.

"I consider these artists my inspirations, rather than my idols," says Giovanni. "I don't imitate anyone's style. I do let myself be guided by those artists I admire. It is myself that I have to answer to". The result is an original, creative drumming style that, in turn, makes Giovanni an inspiration to drummers of all levels.

Luis Conte
Grammy-winner Luis Conte is an acknowledged master of percussion. His celebrated career includes touring and/or recording work with some of the greatest names in contemporary music, including Madonna, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Santana (Supernatural album), Jackson Browne, Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand, Ray Charles, Tony Bennett, James Taylor, Shakira, Ozzy Osborne, Queen Latifah and Cuban legends Arturo Sandoval and Cachao. He can also be heard on the soundtracks to such box office smashes as Mission Impossible, Rain Man, Waiting To Exhale, Coming To America, Drumline, Out of Time, The Italian Job, Oceans 12, Sideways, Disney’s animated Tarzan, Brother Bear and countless others.
Endorsed by the Meinl and Zildjian instrument companies, Luis has designed his own signature series of instruments and drumsticks. His percussion clinic tours take him around the world teaching musicians the essentials and history of Afro-Cuban rhythm. Luis has recently just released his signature line of congas, timbales and shakers for the Meinl Company.

Eguie Castrillo
Originally from Puerto Rico, Eguie Castrillo is an accomplished percussionist who has toured extensively around the world. Performances with Tito Puente, Arturo Sandoval, Steve Winwood, Michael Brecker, Ruben Blades, Paquito D' Rivera, Michel Camilo, KC and the Sunshine Band, Dave Valentin, Giovanni Hidalgo, and Jennifer Lopez. Recordings include Hot House, with Arturo Sandoval, The Latin Train, with Arturo Sandoval, sound track The Perez Family, for MGM, Get Down Live!, with KC and the Sunshine Band, and A GRP Celebration of the Songs of the Beatles. Currently an associate Professor at Berklee College of Music. Eguie Castrillo is endorsed by Toca Percussion.

Albert Villa
Albert Vila Born in Barcelona, Albert is a percussionist, arranger and composer. He has performed, recorded and/or toured with artists such as Modern Romance (Shrek sountrack), Chi 2 (Moby, Anastacia), top spanish band Estopa, Lluis Coloma, El Sobrino del diablo,... and has worked for record labels like BMG, DIVUCSA and PICAP. His recording experience includes tv jingles and movie soundtracks. As an arranger and composer he has written for band formats ranging from jazz big-band to classical symphony orchestra. Albert holds a bachelor degree at the prestigious Berklee College of Music and a golden award diploma at Musicians Institute London. He has also studied in Cuba. He teaches currently at LCCM, Conservatori Superior del Liceu de Barcelona and Aula de Musica de Barcelona (associated school to Berklee). He is endorser of Duende Percusion. Albert is an LCCM tutor and a founder member of PERCUSSITY.COM and will run a flamenco clinic with Monica Cano.

Monica Cano
Monica Cano is one of the most in demand flamenco dancers in Spain. She holds a Bachelor Degree in Spanish Dance from the Institut del Teatre (Barcelona) and has studied at Amor De Dios (Madrid). Her training and professional experience is vast and eclectic. Not withstanding her extensive world tour with the greatest names in flamenco history: Joaquin Cortes, Antonio Canales, Nuevo Ballet Español, Increpacion Danza. Monica has also worked with contemporary dance greats (Ramon Oller), renowned theater and film directors (Calixto Bieito, Franco Zeffirelli). Furthermore she has performed in operas like Traviata, Rigoleto, Caballeria Rusticana. She has worked for inhouse ballets on TVE, ETB, Antena 3 and features on many TV jingles. Besides performing, Monica also teaches at the prestigious Institut del Teatre de Barcelona. She is also one of the core dancers of PERCUSSITY.COM

Kind regards