gimme cymbal advice !!!

iwchoi

I have been playing for about 3 years now and am just starting to upgrade my cymbals. So far, i have a pair of Sabian Vault 14' Hi-hats, Sabian vault 20' Ride, a Sabian HHX 16' crash, and a Zildjian K hybrid 19' crash. I am starting to regret buying my HHX, not because of the sound, but because i consider myself a very "hard-hitting" player and am afraid of shattering my HHX into a billion pieces every time i hit it. I am also limited on money so am thinking of exchangeing the HHX for another 17' hybrid. what do you think? HHX or Hybrid. And does anybody know how durable the Hybrids are anyway?

michiganice91

personally I think Hybrids are kind of a waste. If you want a thick hard rock/ metal cymbal, go with Z customs. If you want great tone, and durability go with A custom Medium or Prejection weight cymbals. The sabian vaults are nice though, I'd keep em.

iatemygoat

i played with a band te other week and their drummer was using HHX. id never heard them until that day and i absolutely hated the way they sounded. i never got a good look at them after they played so i dont know what shape they were in, but a lot of people rave about them so i have to hear someone else play them sometime.

it was weird. the moment he hit his first cymbal i looked at my guitar player and just said "yuck!"

SGarrett

iatemygoat":1pxae4tt said:
i played with a band te other week and their drummer was using HHX. id never heard them until that day and i absolutely hated the way they sounded. i never got a good look at them after they played so i dont know what shape they were in, but a lot of people rave about them so i have to hear someone else play them sometime.

it was weird. the moment he hit his first cymbal i looked at my guitar player and just said "yuck!"
HHX cymbals lose a lot when used in the wrong setting.

break the prism

the first jazz drummer from my school uses the Evolution and Manhattan Jazz series. they sound amazing for jazz and fusion, but i can't see them sounding good when applied to hard rock settings.

anavrinIV

sabians will take a beating so its all down to the sound youre after. if you like the hhx then keep it. if youre just looking for a reason to get a 17" k hybrid then go get one, you dont need any special reason.

just know that if you abuse any cymbals to a certain point they will break so what you call "hard hitting" may actually be doing damage...but it may not. hitting hard can be done safely so make sure that youre doing it the right way.

Homki890

My B8 crash cracked after 7 years of use. I back Sabian's construction.

HHX, Vault, HH, Evolution and MJ cymbals are really only good for light music, such as fusion, jazz, light rock, any type of latin, etc. Heavy hitting, go with AAX or AA.

Homki890

FelterSkelter

Homki890":gzy95dc7 said:
My B8 crash cracked after 7 years of use. I back Sabian's construction.

HHX, Vault, HH, Evolution and MJ cymbals are really only good for light music, such as fusion, jazz, light rock, any type of latin, etc. Heavy hitting, go with AAX or AA.

Homki890
I concur. I beat the crap out of an AA Stage Crash (16") for eons. Even now that it's cracked it sounds great. I don't think it was the most durable choice for what I was playing back then but they lasted me quite a while.