gibraltar ultra adjust hi-hat stands

m

it seems to me that this first generation of ultra-adjust hardware has some serious design flaws. I don't see how it could be better than a remote/cable hi-hat.

There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust height separately from adjusting the angles on the balls. That looks like a serious compromise to me- to adjust it further horizontally, your height adjustments will suffer. I can't see how that would be good.

I'm curious about the action on it. Since you've got a cable section on it, I wonder how it compares to a full cable remote-hat.
It just looks like that design only allows a very small area of adjustability

m":22zjnaw8 said:
it seems to me that this first generation of ultra-adjust hardware has some serious design flaws. I don't see how it could be better than a remote/cable hi-hat.

There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust height separately from adjusting the angles on the balls. That looks like a serious compromise to me- to adjust it further horizontally, your height adjustments will suffer. I can't see how that would be good.

I'm curious about the action on it. Since you've got a cable section on it, I wonder how it compares to a full cable remote-hat.
It just looks like that design only allows a very small area of adjustability
the action is pretty terrible. that's complaint one. gibraltar claims you can adjust the action, but if that really is the case, i've yet to figure out how.

when i'm not using double pedal, i use a dw 9000 hi-hat stand so it's a pretty big difference.

i've never played a cabled hi-hat so i can't compare the two. what i can say is the first 1/4 inch you press down is just dead.

complaint two: ADJUSTING.... yeah. basically, i bought this because i play my hi-hat close to my snare... close enough that a double pedal really makes it hard for me to play... i figured this would be the answer.

in order to get my hi-hat at the right height / at the right distance away, i've really gotta have my pedals spread out.

it's also very true: the height of your hats directly affects the distance from the pedal. this could definitely benefit from something like a boom arm.

complaint three: the hi-hat rod is all for show. there's no need for 2/3 of it unless you play with your hi-hats (no kidding) 9 or 10 inches apart from one another. it interferes with my crash placement. the hi hat rod could have easily been 4 inches and would have been suitable for everyone.

complaint four: i'm a lefty. i was told by customer service at gibraltar that i could simply loosen the hex screw and flip this puppy around. what they didn't tell me was that i'd have to drill a hole in the male base to make this work.

thanks, gibraltar.

i'll keep my fingers crossed dw comes out with something similar in the near future.

m

ah, that's a bummer, man. Sorry to hear it, but not surprised I'm afraid.
I think it's good that you share your observations though; people seem to be really interested in that thing, and to me it seems like a badly designed gimmick.

The action issue sounds serious; I use 2 remote cable hats and they're very responsive, definitely not like what you describe.
Can you return that thing for a refund/credit?

m":q0k006yr said:
ah, that's a bummer, man. Sorry to hear it, but not surprised I'm afraid.
I think it's good that you share your observations though; people seem to be really interested in that thing, and to me it seems like a badly designed gimmick.

The action issue sounds serious; I use 2 remote cable hats and they're very responsive, definitely not like what you describe.
Can you return that thing for a refund/credit?
i'm not surprised either, actually. i just figured i give it a shot.

i really wanted to play double bass again, but because of a bum shoulder, couldn't without a product like this.

i think this could really be a handy item if it were designed a bit better. it's funny because the things it's lacking seem really obvious. i mean, to the point where i'm surprised it made it out of testing. the whole height thing really blows my mind.

it'll be interesting to see what modern drummer has to say about it. i can't imagine they won't get one to review.

drummert2k

i can see how this would be a very flawed stand. especially the height adjustment. although that black piece right under the wingnut you use to fold the legs should be where you adjust the action. atleast thats the location of it on most other stands. but even with adjusting it i dont see how it could be that close to a standard straight hi hat in action.

yeah, adjusting that doesn't do a damn thing. it probably doesn't help that i play with 15 inch hats.

eh.

it was worth a shot. i sorta knew what i was getting in to. every gibraltar pedal (bass drum or hi-hat) i've ever tried has sucked.

m

So far I have been underwhelmed by any Gibraltar gear I've run across, other than basic clamps or holders which are hard to mess up.

Tried a friend's Gibby pedal, and bought a Gibby X-hat.
Both were not great at all. I don't think I'll buy from them again