ghost notes???

Gabimo

well, im not usually one to read music but i was looking at tabs and i encountered a ghost note

Bridge

/----32 times----\ /----11 times----\
Cym |X-s-s-s-X-s-s-s-|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-|----------------|
S.D |o-------o-------|--------g-g-g-g-|o-o-o-o-O-O-O-O-|----------------|
B.D |------------o---|o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|----------------|

its the g, and i have no idea what it is

can someone explain it to me

Howepirate

Ghost notes are those lighter, filler notes that you hear in-between the regular pulsating beat.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4fXb8qzqAA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4fXb8qzqAA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hear all those notes played in-between the hi hats and then the heavy backbeat of the snare?

Howepirate

Gabimo":12trpvrm said:
what? so its just a light tap, im sure t instead of g would have been better, who invented this
Idk, but I can tell you that, they are absolutely key in some of the fattest grooves you can get to makin.

SGarrett

If you ask Clyde Stubblefield he says, "ghost notes is notes that ain't there, but I put 'em there, because that's the way I feel the funk should be".

If you look at them as just light taps, you're completely missing their purpose. I recommend listening to Funky Drummer by James Brown.

dwtoast72

SGarrett":1p30b4c2 said:
If you ask Clyde Stubblefield he says, "ghost notes is notes that ain't there, but I put 'em there, because that's the way I feel the funk should be".

If you look at them as just light taps, you're completely missing their purpose. I recommend listening to Funky Drummer by James Brown.
dude.........DUDE!!!!
awesome quote!

Ghost notes fill in empty space and add to create a busier sound... You can tap em, swing em, bounce em' whatever....Just be creative with it..

SGarrett

dwtoast72":3jtp26cx said:
SGarrett":3jtp26cx said:

dude.........DUDE!!!!
awesome quote!

Ghost notes fill in empty space and add to create a busier sound... You can tap em, swing em, bounce em' whatever....Just be creative with it..
Yeah, I love that quote. It's from Soul of the Funky Drummers with Clyde and Jab'O. Great movie.

dunkerton12

If you really listen closely to a lot of different songs, you will start to hear them. I'm not an expert on funk or jazz, but rock I know pretty well. If you have it, listen to the song "Sacrificed Sons" by Dream Theater. When the drummer starts in on the groove, you can hear ghost notes played between the 4 and 6 of the count (6/8) time. Put headphones on and listen closely. This is not the only (or best) example, but it's the first one that came to me.

Rob Crisp

SGarrett":oi3vxx8b said:

I was thinking that exact same quote!

I love ghost notes, they really add to your playing.

Rob Crisp

rufus4dagruv":2j6sv580 said:
JAdrums2k":2j6sv580 said:
ZEPPELIN...... FOOL IN THE RAIN!! 8)
In addition to the funk, they also play a big role in shuffles, especially half time shuffles. Think Rosanna by Toto, too.
Great tune, Jeff Porcaro who played on Rosanna told his inspiration from this guy!

Check these out, Bernard Purdie... heard of the Purdie Shuffle?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x9hq7IEqyKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pclpe8dT7cY&NR=1

He cracks me up! :D "YEAH, I like that"

racefan33

I love using ghost notes. They fatten up the groove like a weeks worth of pancakes with biscuits and gravy.

I'm not such a fan of zombie notes. Nothing ruins a song like hearing "Brains, more brains!" in the middle of it.

rufus4dagruv

Rob Crisp":32b8hhfp said:
rufus4dagruv":32b8hhfp said:
JAdrums2k":32b8hhfp said:
ZEPPELIN...... FOOL IN THE RAIN!! 8)
In addition to the funk, they also play a big role in shuffles, especially half time shuffles. Think Rosanna by Toto, too.
Great tune, Jeff Porcaro who played on Rosanna told his inspiration from this guy!

Check these out, Bernard Purdie... heard of the Purdie Shuffle?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x9hq7IEqyKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pclpe8dT7cY&NR=1

He cracks me up! :D "YEAH, I like that"
Pretty Purdie. His feel is so sick it makes me want to throw up.

Thank you for posting the links to those vids. Seriously, totally made my day. Can't wait for the gig tonight!

Brother_Bong

Dudes, ghosts don't just belong in funk/jazz. I used them quite a bit in my old metal band, just cus the structure called for them. Even in a pretty peppy run I'd be like (on snare)ba ba baba ba baba ba ba, It loses translation this way, god, I wish I knew how to link audio files of of media player. :cry:

Gpunk76

I'm at the point where i have to really FOCUS and CONCENTRATE HARD to NOT add ghost notes in some way to whatever i'm playing whatever the genre.

I went through a phase when i used them to deal with my overplaying...i would look at it like, i'll still overplay just as much, but just keep all the extra stuff to ghosts between hi-hat and snare....it really helped me get control of my volume and determine what was obnoxious and what wasn't.

Lancelot Frosty

Gpunk76":16m55tyo said:
I'm at the point where i have to really FOCUS and CONCENTRATE HARD to NOT add ghost notes in some way to whatever i'm playing whatever the genre.
Actually, I've got the same problem.
I seem to be adding a few ghost notes in almost every single groove I've been making.
They've become a huge aspect of my playing to the point where I might be doing them too much. :lol: