getting the right tension on bass head for Heel Toe???????

anyone have any tips.......i can play the hell out of heel toe on my practice pad...but when i get on my set..its completley different...any advice on tuning the head...or dampening my head?

zerodogma

I am a heel-toe player myself and have found that in order to get the proper rebound after the "heel" stroke (and leading into the "toe" stroke), I need to make sure that I have adequate tension on my bass drum head... a mushy head doesn't respond in a good way for me. I have also found that a smaller bass drum size, i.e. 20" or 18", allows for a much quicker response when blasting out heel-toe beats.

If you use a standard (or larger) bass drum, tighten the head and find that "sweet spot" that gives you enough tension for good rebound, but doesn't kill your bottom end sound.

Also... test out some different pedals at your local drum shop. The longer the footboard, the easier it will be to play heel-toe. I also took the toe-stops off of my pedal(s) to allow me to move my foot higher up.

If you want to get that "practice pad" feel on your regular bass drum, take off the resonant head and stuff the batter head with blankets/pillows. This will "choke" the batter head to feel more like your practice pad. Gradually move the pillows away from the head as you practice... I think you get the idea.

Hope this helped a little!

Zero

scepticILL

zerodogma":2btv1j9u said:
I am a heel-toe player myself and have found that in order to get the proper rebound after the "heel" stroke (and leading into the "toe" stroke), I need to make sure that I have adequate tension on my bass drum head... a mushy head doesn't respond in a good way for me. I have also found that a smaller bass drum size, i.e. 20" or 18", allows for a much quicker response when blasting out heel-toe beats.

If you use a standard (or larger) bass drum, tighten the head and find that "sweet spot" that gives you enough tension for good rebound, but doesn't kill your bottom end sound.

Also... test out some different pedals at your local drum shop. The longer the footboard, the easier it will be to play heel-toe. I also took the toe-stops off of my pedal(s) to allow me to move my foot higher up.

If you want to get that "practice pad" feel on your regular bass drum, take off the resonant head and stuff the batter head with blankets/pillows. This will "choke" the batter head to feel more like your practice pad. Gradually move the pillows away from the head as you practice... I think you get the idea.

Hope this helped a little!

Zero
Good advice!

Sway

I dont know if this will help any buti dont like having to use a certain pedal or have a longer foot board or whatever. I think that limits you to what you can get. I play one bass drum pedal and a little double but not much. What i use is kindof like the push pull for you hands. When your heel is up you hit it with your toe and you hit it again when your heel is coming down. YOu can get super fast with one foot that way and i think it gives you alot more options on bass drum sound and pedal choice. If you wanna see how fast you can get watch the Tony ROyster Jr. video.
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/tonyroysterdwsolo1.html
Its about 2 minetes into it.

skytoucher

When I first started playing heel-toe I didn’t know anyone else who could do it. At first I could barely make it work, I tried adjusting every pedal setting I could (along with trying other people’s pedals). When I settled on the setting that made it easiest for me I tried different head tensions. Tighter head tensions made it easier for me. I also played with seat height (lower worked for me at the time). I even tried using a 16” floor tom and found it even easier. So I used the floor tom to practice and build up/train my muscles until I could do it on the bass drum. As the muscles got stronger I backed off on the head tension. Finally I got to the point where I could adjust my pedal for how I like it to feel when I’m not playing heel-toe. After playing 23 years of heel-toe I can now make most setups work but will still sit down behind some kits and struggle with the pedal unless I tweak the settings somewhat.

You don’t want to cheat with the above methods for the purpose of playing heel-toe but for the purpose of exercising those muscles and making them stronger so you can get to the point of playing heel-toe without having to use those methods.