Getting signed...

NG1284

It's all about exposure. Do you have a band? Do you play to decent-sized crowds on a regular basis?

stump

Right place, right time dude! If you are good enough and are patient then a label may come to you. Go out and start looking desperately and you're liable to end up with a half-assed label that turns you into a label whore and drains you for all that make. Be smart, get a manager with a good rep. Let them do the foot work. Peace on ya!

Timekeep69

You need to be ina band that has a buzz going around about and you need to convince a label that you will sell lots of albums.

HardcoreDrummer

Timekeep69":3w4v72kb said:
You need to be ina band that has a buzz going around about and you need to convince a label that you will sell lots of albums.
Gotcha.

But I don't even know how to get an album out!!!!

BillRayDrums

Why would you want to do a thing like that?
Do you think that signing away the RIGHTS TO YOUR MUSIC and being given chump change in return is a good idea?

Having someone give you the golden figure of say, $100,000 in return for your music rights is FELONY STUPID. What happens when the $100K (split amongst 6 people, don't forget the management cut) gets spent and the lien holder makes a cool million on the fruits of your carcass?

Getting signed will not solve anything for you that you can't do for yourself. Jeez man, we live in the age where someone sitting in Budapest can send an MP3 of their music over the wire to an interested party in Los Angeles and be on the Skype discussing the chord changes and melody.

Really, getting signed is a BAD idea. Do the work yourself and let the companies approach YOU. When you really don't need the support is when you want to work a deal.

If you have never listened to a word I said, listen to that.

pphunk

Get as much exposure as you can. Send your record to magazines, newspapers, internet zines, radio stations etc. etc. Don't just send them out in the US, try Japan or Europe. If you can get a distribution deal with a smaller indie outfit and it's not a crap deal, take it. Indie labels can be very good at getting your music heard because they need the sales almost as bad as you do.

Of course the first step you take is getting yourself invovled with other like minded musicians who share your passion and talent.

m

BillRayDrums":6ka0mudi said:
Do you think that signing away the RIGHTS TO YOUR MUSIC and being given chump change in return is a good idea?

Really, getting signed is a BAD idea. Do the work yourself and let the companies approach YOU. When you really don't need the support is when you want to work a deal.
ain't that the truth. And DIY'ing it is much less likely to leave you bankrupt and owing a label a ton of $.

break the prism

^ I couldn't agree more. Promote your band locally, get shows, record yourselves, and establish a fan base. If you get out there, companies looking for fresh new good music to exploit will come to you eventually.

Timekeep69

BillRayDrums":2rjbnv7k said:

Having someone give you the golden figure of say, $100,000 in return for your music rights is FELONY STUPID. What happens when the $100K (split amongst 6 people, don't forget the management cut) gets spent and the lien holder makes a cool million on the fruits of your carcass?

Getting signed will not solve anything for you that you can't do for yourself. Jeez man, we live in the age where someone sitting in Budapest can send an MP3 of their music over the wire to an interested party in Los Angeles and be on the Skype discussing the chord changes and melody.

Oh there you go ruining my fantasy with truth! :mrgreen:

Really, BillRay is probably the most experienced person on this board when it comes to being signed so listen to him. Being signed is NOT the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's the beginning of all of your problems. Get some experience in the biz before you start thinking about getting signed, if you go in naive, you'll get robbed blind.

Homki890

I think it depends on the right label. some are better than others for different genre's of music. I'd go to Bluenote before anything, but that's me, because I love jazz.

Homki890

stump

Timekeep69":1l3dxja0 said:
BillRayDrums":1l3dxja0 said:

Really, BillRay is probably the most experienced person on this board when it comes to being signed so listen to him. Being signed is NOT the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's the beginning of all of your problems. Get some experience in the biz before you start thinking about getting signed, if you go in naive, you'll get robbed blind.
Word! +1. Peace on ya!

DrummerByron

Wait, did I miss something? You don't have a band? Well that would be step one unless you can produce music by yourself like Trent Reznor (Resnor, some crap like that. You know the dude from 9 Inch Nails). There are tons of opportunities to be self sufficient in this age of technology. CD baby, iTunes, and Rhapsody are companies that will put your music out there for a small fee. Inde labels are also a good idea, but they don't offer much monetary support. You are better off doing things yourself from the start and being in control of your own destiny. I know it’s not cheap to start a band and try and press your own CDs, get shows and try to gain some popularity, but if you can be self-sufficient then it will pay off in the end. I have some money saving tips for pressing CDs and labels if you are interested. Another good way to get your band going is playing in high profile areas for free like the local park, or at a farmers market: somewhere that you still be seen by a lot of different people. Good luck

bapudi

DrummerByron":3cvsqgu9 said:
Wait, did I miss something? You don't have a band? Well that would be step one unless you can produce music by yourself like Trent Reznor (Resnor, some crap like that. You know the dude from 9 Inch Nails). There are tons of opportunities to be self sufficient in this age of technology. CD baby, iTunes, and Rhapsody are companies that will put your music out there for a small fee. Inde labels are also a good idea, but they don't offer much monetary support. You are better off doing things yourself from the start and being in control of your own destiny. I know it’s not cheap to start a band and try and press your own CDs, get shows and try to gain some popularity, but if you can be self-sufficient then it will pay off in the end. I have some money saving tips for pressing CDs and labels if you are interested. Another good way to get your band going is playing in high profile areas for free like the local park, or at a farmers market: somewhere that you still be seen by a lot of different people. Good luck
you can just snopcap your self and make .99 ever mp3 bought

BillRayDrums

Timekeep69":16np29ag said:

Hey, here's the deal. The RIAA and anyone involved with it (like, the major studios, DUH) are on the hunt for naïve young bands who can put more wind into their sails and put their little Johnny through college for yet another year (or, pay his bail because he's such an f-up).

It's best to keep the indie tact and let those bastards die off as they should and therefore usher forth a new era of musical entrepreneurism. DIY is possible now; the only thing labels really ever had against artists was distro, and in this day & age you can get your shit out to an exponentially larger crowd.

OK here's the deal. There's literally ONE MILLION bands out there. I'm in about half of them, so cool yer jets. ;)

Here's where you will make the real money in music- licensing. Yes, that Wally's Drive-thru chitlin stand that needs a catchy tune is waiting for your death metal blast beat ditty to become the answer to Britney Spear's comeback. Sell your tunes to people who want to buy them, and you get money. Simple, dig? Checkout http://skidmarksthemovie.com My band http://thewildtruth.com has a tune in there. The movie seems to be rising up the charts...I mean, if the soundtrack does better than tinfoil, I could be gettin' a check in the mail every couple of months. :)

The music business is completely fcuked. I mean look at it. A COMPUTER COMPANY is responsible for selling more MUSIC than is the entire RECORD INDUSTRY. (one word- iTunes) And there's countless other examples in media "crossover".

Thinking outside the box is EXACTLY what you should be doing now.

BTW My band opened for Gary Hoey tonight. Man, he is a BMF.

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":2rfowrkn said:
Timekeep69":2rfowrkn said:

Hey, here's the deal. The RIAA and anyone involved with it (like, the major studios, DUH) are on the hunt for naïve young bands who can put more wind into their sails and put their little Johnny through college for yet another year (or, pay his bail because he's such an f-up).

It's best to keep the indie tact and let those bastards die off as they should and therefore usher forth a new era of musical entrepreneurism. DIY is possible now; the only thing labels really ever had against artists was distro, and in this day & age you can get your shit out to an exponentially larger crowd.

OK here's the deal. There's literally ONE MILLION bands out there. I'm in about half of them, so cool yer jets. ;)

Here's where you will make the real money in music- licensing. Yes, that Wally's Drive-thru chitlin stand that needs a catchy tune is waiting for your death metal blast beat ditty to become the answer to Britney Spear's comeback. Sell your tunes to people who want to buy them, and you get money. Simple, dig? Checkout http://skidmarksthemovie.com My band http://thewildtruth.com has a tune in there. The movie seems to be rising up the charts...I mean, if the soundtrack does better than tinfoil, I could be gettin' a check in the mail every couple of months. :)

The music business is completely fcuked. I mean look at it. A COMPUTER COMPANY is responsible for selling more MUSIC than is the entire RECORD INDUSTRY. (one word- iTunes) And there's countless other examples in media "crossover".

Thinking outside the box is EXACTLY what you should be doing now.

BTW My band opened for Gary Hoey tonight. Man, he is a BMF.
I've set out on my own, but I hadn't thought about licensing. If all goes well, I'll be on an indie movie soundtrack in the near future playing for a dude in Texas. And an engineer in New Zealand I've been working for just got picked up for some commercial work. Maybe I need to put more effort into my own songwriting and engineering so I can cut out the middle man. :D

And that's awesome. I love Gary Hoey.

HardcoreDrummer

Timekeep69":1qbhsqvp said:
BillRayDrums":1qbhsqvp said:

Thanks both of ya