getting in the righ mood

david adrian

i´m about to record some drum tracks for my album, and i need to know if someone knows or may help me to get into the right mood for play the best in the studio session, I already know all the tracks perfectly, but you know, how do i get to that point where you feel so confident with your sound that seems that you are not thinking in the song actually. Well i don´t know if I explain myself I hope somebody can help me
=D

mortem

Umm a couple of hours before you're heading to the studio, listen to some songs that are similar (in genre or whatever) to the songs you're gonna record.

At least that's what I do before going for either rehearsal or a gig. Maybe you'll get a better answer from the pro's around here..

BillRayDrums

david adrian":hcpgb6bm said:
i´m about to record some drum tracks for my album, and i need to know if someone knows or may help me to get into the right mood for play the best in the studio session, I already know all the tracks perfectly, but you know, how do i get to that point where you feel so confident with your sound that seems that you are not thinking in the song actually. Well i don´t know if I explain myself I hope somebody can help me
=D
Perform the tunes in your head before you go in. Kind of meditate on each of them. See yourself actually doing the activity.

When you go in you will have already done it before so it won't be a big deal.

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":1mtyosuc said:
david adrian":1mtyosuc said:
=D
Perform the tunes in your head before you go in. Kind of meditate on each of them. See yourself actually doing the activity.

That's really good advice. I like to do that with big gigs, too.

I'm just really getting into tracking myself and the biggest problem I have is forgetting about the mic's and the laptop that's three feet away from me. I just take a few really deep breaths to calm myself and then hit the record button. Like anything else with music, it takes repetition to really get it.

FelterSkelter

If this is something you're recording yourself you have the liberty of doing it over and over again until you like it. I'll usually keep trying until I think it's a take, listen back and note some ideas (either in your head or on paper, whatever works for you) and then I'll track again and focus on the part that I thought sounded sub-par while listening back. If it's not your own time you're working with, the best advice is to know and be comfortable with the way YOU perform the song and the selections that you've made for it.
SGarrett":p2cv0ztk said:
BillRayDrums":p2cv0ztk said:
david adrian":p2cv0ztk said:
=D

I'm just really getting into tracking myself and the biggest problem I have is forgetting about the mic's and the laptop that's three feet away from me. I just take a few really deep breaths to calm myself and then hit the record button. Like anything else with music, it takes repetition to really get it.

SGarrett

Exactly. I'll go through a few takes until I get one that I either think is decent or has something that I want to replicate again. I don't even know how many takes I did for a song yesterday and I still didn't get a 100% keeper. It was good enough to send to the artist for an opinion but still needs work. It is nice to be able to keep re-doing the tracks until you're satisfied. I've done too many tracks in brick and mortar studios that were like, "it's good enough, let's go to the next one." Usually so the time could be spent on uber guitar solos and 15 vocal tracks, but that's a different rant altogether...hahaha.

FelterSkelter":228dlmyk said:
If this is something you're recording yourself you have the liberty of doing it over and over again until you like it. I'll usually keep trying until I think it's a take, listen back and note some ideas (either in your head or on paper, whatever works for you) and then I'll track again and focus on the part that I thought sounded sub-par while listening back. If it's not your own time you're working with, the best advice is to know and be comfortable with the way YOU perform the song and the selections that you've made for it.
SGarrett":228dlmyk said:
BillRayDrums":228dlmyk said:
david adrian":228dlmyk said:
=D

stump

After just finishing a studio session this week this is a cool question. I went with the guys the 1st day and loaded equipment and then went and had a relaxing breakfast and conversation. Once we got to the studio and set up we just did what we were used to doing at a practice session. Tune, relax and get ready to throw down. I can honestly say that treating it as a just another session and not a recording puts you at ease. With only a tuning issue or two with the guitars we all finished 7 tracks with out a sweat and only 3 punch ins. Dress comfortable and be confident in yourself and the band. Good luck and peace on ya!

Howepirate

Usually people piss me off in the mornings in the forum board by questioning mine or other peoples independence, speed, groove, musicality etc.

It gets me thinking about my own and what i need to improve on so i go out and jam out on it for a bit.

Lol like phoenix tellin me i can play Death metal but i cant play the single kick stuff to iron maiden songs har har. That turned out an hour long groove session with those 3 hit ride and bass at the same time with all sorts of groove patterns. Then i usually warm up from that. Turn on my drum module and check my triggers tuning and my cymbal tightness and whatnot to make sure everythings warm and loose lol. And get to some metal drumming.

By then i'm all ready to go and reared for the studio or jam session.

Solix

stump":pryq6mw8 said:
After just finishing a studio session this week this is a cool question. I went with the guys the 1st day and loaded equipment and then went and had a relaxing breakfast and conversation. Once we got to the studio and set up we just did what we were used to doing at a practice session. Tune, relax and get ready to throw down. I can honestly say that treating it as a just another session and not a recording puts you at ease. With only a tuning issue or two with the guitars we all finished 7 tracks with out a sweat and only 3 punch ins. Dress comfortable and be confident in yourself and the band. Good luck and peace on ya!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

BillRayDrums

stump":2v02zsg1 said:
It's always nice when you can load in a day early and relax into the session. Set up, play a bit, get your game on. I love that stuff!!!

9 times out of 10 for me it's load in, get setup AND sounds in the first hour, listen to the tune, make a quick roadmap if I have to, and it's go-time. If I get 5+ in a session (usually no more than 5 hours) I'm doing good. The studios where I work have other bands coming in after us or someone has a gig, etc. Scheduling is definitely an art in my little neck of the woods.....

stump

BillRayDrums":r970e0yy said:
stump":r970e0yy said:
It's always nice when you can load in a day early and relax into the session. Set up, play a bit, get your game on. I love that stuff!!!

9 times out of 10 for me it's load in, get setup AND sounds in the first hour, listen to the tune, make a quick roadmap if I have to, and it's go-time. If I get 5+ in a session (usually no more than 5 hours) I'm doing good. The studios where I work have other bands coming in after us or someone has a gig, etc. Scheduling is definitely an art in my little neck of the woods.....
We try to keep it simple in the South Bill. LOL! Slow rolling goodness. Relax and enjoy the view. Peace on ya Bro!

drumsforlife

stump":xq7uf24l said:
We try to keep it simple in the South Bill. LOL! Slow rolling goodness. Relax and enjoy the view. Peace on ya Bro!
Amen to that brother! I know exactly what you're talking about. In fact, went in to track yesterday and got 18 songs done. As rigorous as it sounds, we took all day. Felt like sippin' lemonade on the back porch and watching the fireflies in the backyard. Seems kind of silly, but we actually get more done when it's a relaxed environment. Also, enjoying each others' company helps.

BillRayDrums

david adrian":2ut74z54 said:
thanks guys! that was really helpful for sure... sorry for my bad english by the way =S
=P
Never apologize for speaking bad english. 99% of the people in the USA speak incorrectly so don't worry about it. :)

Now the FRENCH......there's a nation who is prideful of their language!

stump

BillRayDrums":1kmuc5a7 said:
david adrian":1kmuc5a7 said:
thanks guys! that was really helpful for sure... sorry for my bad english by the way =S
=P
Never apologize for speaking bad english. 99% of the people in the USA speak incorrectly so don't worry about it. :)

Now the FRENCH......there's a nation who is prideful of their language!
LOL!!!!!