German Grip vs French Timpany (finger control)

zildjian_zbt

hey guys,
I predominately use the german grip while playing. I sometimes switch to french timpany at times...
My questions are...
Can you use fingers to control the stick playing with a german grip (i'm talking about playing 200bpm+ 16th notes)
Any good videos for using fingers with french timpany grip
and good speed building exercises for hands... I can't play a single stroke roll at about 210bpm warmed up... but i can't hold it for long....

any help is appreciated.

thanks

zildjian_zbt

Thanks for the video link... Dom's awesome. I saw him at the australian ultimate drum festival...

But with relation to the video's, see when he talks about finger control he ONLY refers to the french grip, not german...
When i play i can't use my fingers with german... I play a lot more wrist when using the german grip... And i don't tighten up, i got a very loose grip.

I just wanna know if anyone can play predominately fingers with using the german grip. Or is it more for wrists...

SGarrett

Modify the exercise. Hold your hands in the German position and extend your fingers down towards the ground instead of straight out. :)

Homki890

Most players use a grip somewhere in-between French and German. The thumb is not on top, but it's also not on the side. Kind of in the middle. It's commonly referred to as American Grip, or Tenor Grip. It kind of gives you the best of both worlds. Play around with that, see If it helps you.

Homki890

Airborne Ranger

Check out the JoJo Mayer DVD. He goes into great depth on the different techniques. It's by far the best hand technique instructional DVD on the market, he really did a great job. He explains how to use fingers in both grips as well as some hybrid grips. Don't get too hung up on strict proper technique though, if you can get the sound/speed you're looking for, go with it.