Gavin Harrison

break the prism

his work with porcupine tree is amazing, and he's the only drummer whose instructional dvds have actually helped me. he combines so many different styles that its hard to tell who his influences really are.

Drummer361

It's funny - I was just looking for a search section on this forum to see if anybody has posted anything about Gavin Harrison, and here it was on the first page - I was just going to post pretty-much the same thing. I haven't been inspired in a long time as Gavin Harrison has inspired me on the last 3 Porcupine Tree CDs and the live DVD. I seriously cannot think of another drummer who is so sure of himself with every hit, ghost note, or even use of silence... Everything he does is musical, no matter how flamboyant. Awesome.

Johnny Cat

I love him. He's amazing. The best drummer I've gotten into in a long time. His drumming on all the Porcupine Tree is top notch, and so is his instruction. And I just LOVE the sound of those custom chimes he made. So musical sounding. He played on one track on the new Blackfield album, and I didn't realize it right away til I heard those chimes and was like, "WTF?? Nahh...can't be....IT IS!!!" haha. It was a delight.

Anybody watch/hear his "Cymbal Song" on the "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" DVD? REALLY cool. Especially when he hits one cymbal and lowers it into a bucket of water to lower the pitch. Really weird. Awesome.

m

Johnny Cat":h5pcctak said:
Anybody watch/hear his "Cymbal Song" on the "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" DVD? REALLY cool. Especially when he hits one cymbal and lowers it into a bucket of water to lower the pitch. Really weird. Awesome.
there's also a 'drum song,' in a similar vein. They're both on his Rhythmic Horizons DVD. You can also see them on his Drummerworld page:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavi ... lsong.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavi ... msong.html

very cool pieces!

zerodogma

Wow..... thanks for turning me on to Gavin Harrison and Porcupine Tree. Most of the PT tracks are on the "light side" for me (being more of a rock metal core guy), but I will definitely have to check out the DVD's.

m

the new PT album, Fear of a Blank Planet, dips into more metallic territory than the last few, there's a lot more double-bass and heavy riffs.
Still, I'd say it's more in the Pink Floyd meets Rush/King Crimson vein.

BillRayDrums

I went through "Rhythmic Illusions" years ago. Two, three and four-dimensional rhythms are to this day something I'm thankful for from him. He really opened me up to alot of cool stuff.

Hellschef

Gavin is my all time favourite drummer, since I picked up In Absentia I wasn't sure about the change of lineup from Chris Maitland to Gavin but his playing grew on me so fast, I haven't seen any other drummer who can do all the technical stuff he does but still be musical and extremeley organic sounding. For anyone who's not heard them Porcupine Tree are definatley worth checking out and their lastest album "Fear of a Blank Planet" is the best place to start (and then work your way back)

Gavin Harrison Musik Messe 2007 Video 1

Gavin Harrison Musik Messe 2007 Video 2

Gavin Harrison Musik Messe 2007 Video 3

Hope everyone's well,

Kev