free floating snares

iatemygoat

whats that deal with them? i know how they're put togeter and whatnot but what seperates them from other snares sound wise?

skitch

iatemygoat":hsu78uge said:
whats that deal with them? i know how they're put togeter and whatnot but what seperates them from other snares sound wise?
No lugs touching or attached to the shell. I don't kno wthat there is or isn't any sound difference; I only know that my 3 -1/2" Pearl Brass FFS is one cracking snare drum!

iatemygoat

MeekaFlow":3bf2tq5a said:
what is a free floating snare?
the lugs are NOT attached to the shell of the drum.

to add another question, how do the lugs stay in different tensions? like if you wanted the top head to be realy tight and the lower a little looser? without being attached to the shell wouldnt the heads be in a close tuning of each other always?

Rob the Drummer

iatemygoat":17o5v12w said:
MeekaFlow":17o5v12w said:
what is a free floating snare?
the lugs are NOT attached to the shell of the drum.

to add another question, how do the lugs stay in different tensions? like if you wanted the top head to be realy tight and the lower a little looser? without being attached to the shell wouldnt the heads be in a close tuning of each other always?
Have you played on one? The bottom of the drum is actually a big hunk of metal that holds the rods that the lugs screw into. the bottom bearing edge is actually metal. You can have the bottom head on there at whatever tightness you want. It doesn't effect the top head at all. I've played on lots of Pearl concert free floaters as well as their marching free floater drums.

AmnestysLowEnd

You can also change the shell just by taking the top head off!!!! :D Of course you have to by the other shell though :cry: But I want one BAD just got other shit to buy 1st.

goatatl

I have a 3.5 piccolo and a 8" (both brass shells). Killer drums. Wonder why they never made a free- floating KIT? I bet that would be the shite, to be able to go from maple to birch to acrylic (or whatever) shells.

dwtoast72

I played one in nurnberg, GE but didn't like it very much..... it was a pearl something-or-another. I truelly don't think that there's much difference between a drilled drumshell and a free-floater (sound wise), atleast none that matters

goatatl

In theory, the shell would resonate more. While the theory sounds reasonable enough to me, admittedly, I've never put either of mine next to their drilled counterparts to test it. I just think the concept of being able to have a completely different drum just by switching shells is handy, not to mention economical. (A 6.5x14 Maple goes for $399.00; the replacement brass shell is $129.00) Hmmm... I may have answered my own question...