Flying with gear, HALP!!

dahlgrendrummer

Hey guys,

Tomorrow my band is heading to California from Maryland to play the So Cal Deathfest. Any advice on flying drum gear? What to check, what to carry on? I have to bring my cymbals, a snare, sticks, and my pedals. I use roughly about 13 cymbals and have two cases, on is a hard SKB roto case and the other is a bag. I was thinking about checking the roto case, and putting the cymbal softcase, snare and pedal bags in a big suitcase. Any advice from some of you guys that fly with gear a lot?

GrindheadJim

dahlgrendrummer":t3qngpfs said:
Hey guys,

Tomorrow my band is heading to California from Maryland to play the So Cal Deathfest. Any advice on flying drum gear? What to check, what to carry on? I have to bring my cymbals, a snare, sticks, and my pedals. I use roughly about 13 cymbals and have two cases, on is a hard SKB roto case and the other is a bag. I was thinking about checking the roto case, and putting the cymbal softcase, snare and pedal bags in a big suitcase. Any advice from some of you guys that fly with gear a lot?
You're flying out tomorrow, and you're not sure how you're going to pack?! Dude.

I would carry the pedal bags, unless you can stuff them with bubble wrap. The snare and cymbal bag could go in a suitcase, but be sure to stuff it, as well - that shit is gonna get tossed all over the place.

rufus4dagruv

GrindheadJim":2ysw8cb8 said:
dahlgrendrummer":2ysw8cb8 said:
Hey guys,

You're flying out tomorrow, and you're not sure how you're going to pack?! Dude.

I would carry the pedal bags, unless you can stuff them with bubble wrap. The snare and cymbal bag could go in a suitcase, but be sure to stuff it, as well - that shit is gonna get tossed all over the place.
My first bit of advice would be to not wait until the day before leaving to ask for advice about flying with your gear.

Get insurance. If you check anything, it IS going to get tossed quite a bit. If you don't have flight cases for anything, you may want to consider packaging up what you can and shipping it out to Cali. Carry on the rest. Good luck.

JAdrums2k

Airlines only allow 2 carry ons.... I usually carry on my cymbal bag, and a duffle stuffed with as much hardware as it'll fit.
If you're packing gear into a suitcase, MAKE SURE TO PAD IT WELL... blankets, styrofoam, etc.
Suitcase would be good for a snare as long as it's a good sturdy case and it's padded well. They WILL open it up and root through it.. so be prepared.
If the roto case is in good shape definitely check it... just watch the weight... 50 pounds per item is the limit.. after that thery charge you more...
Good luck.

dahlgrendrummer

Well, actually if you knew all the details of how this went down you'd understand why I am asking today, but thats none of anyone's business and I don't want to hurt the rep of certain parties involved by explaing why I'm in this situation. But anyways, back on the subject. So bubble pack everything as tight as possible, good advice. At this point I think snare, pedals in the suitcase, check the roto case (it will be stuffed with merch to prevent cymbals from moving on the hub too much), and carry on the soft cymbal case, unless I can fit it in the suitcase with the pedals and snare.

PDP9000

JAdrums2k":2qdz1hdi said:
Airlines only allow 2 carry ons.... I usually carry on my cymbal bag, and a duffle stuffed with as much hardware as it'll fit.
If you're packing gear into a suitcase, MAKE SURE TO PAD IT WELL... blankets, styrofoam, etc.
Suitcase would be good for a snare as long as it's a good sturdy case and it's padded well. They WILL open it up and root through it.. so be prepared.
If the roto case is in good shape definitely check it... just watch the weight... 50 pounds per item is the limit.. after that thery charge you more...
Good luck.
when i flew to New york for a show i carried on my cymbal case and my pedals cause i knew
that they just throw the shit into the plane.

JasonS2C

PDP9000":3rekxuee said:
JAdrums2k":3rekxuee said:
Good luck.
when i flew to New york for a show i carried on my cymbal case and my pedals cause i knew
that they just throw the shit into the plane.
Me too. I'll sacrifice my other carry-ons, but pedals and cymbals always come inside the plane with me. Flying actual drums (even if its just a few snares) is when I thank myself for dropping the extra $$$ on flight cases. People who load planes could care less how your shit survives on the other end, I'm fully convinced.

rlrrll

My advice to anyone traveling with gear i to check everything but the items you cant live without. As mentioned above, you can bring one carry on item and a personal bag. I usually carry on my snare drum and have one of the other band members carry on my DW pedal case. All the other stuff gets checked with the luggage. I try to fit as much stuff as possible into my snare and BD case so that if the luggage ends up in the wrong city, I still have the essentials.

On small planes, they will take your carry on bag and put it in the baggage compartment under the plane. When you land, they
load it all back near the front door. It's actually easier than trying to fit your cym. bag in the overhead compartment.

A strange thing about airport security: It's illegal to bring a bottle of water or a finger nail clipper onto a plane, right? Then how come I can bring a big bag filled with pointy, metal objects and no one says "boo"?? I put my x-hat arm in the DW case, along with some mikes and some cables. Wouldn't a Girbralter x-hat arm and clamp make a good weapon?? In the snare case, I but a pair of Hihats and a splash. I could behead someone with that splash if I threw is Frisbee style, but I've never had a problem getting it on a plane. But try to bring a bottle of water and red lights start flashing and alarms start going off!!

Have Fun!!

tc

dahlgrendrummer

All went well dudes, nothing broken, all was good. Thanks for the compliments Bong! That shit is actually really old, we are in the process of writing a new record with a new guitarist that slays and shreds, good stuff. No offense to Californians here, but your metal shows are the funniest thing ever, it's giant fashion show, way too many tight pants and rad hair for me, wow... All the kids could care less what the bands are playing, they just care about who does your merch design.