Flat Rides

mortem

I'm looking for a flat ride to add to my set.. what are your opinions on these? and which one do you think is the best one out there??

rufus4dagruv

Flat rides are useful in very low volume situations. While usually pretty thin, they can provide a great stick articulation without the build up of much wash.

The "original" flat ride is the 18" Paiste 602. Today, there are a bunch of really nice sounding flats. Oh, and there are a bunch of lousy sounding flats, too, the Zildjian ZBT flat being the worst IMO. I've recently seen some on Ebay, like the Sabian Thigpen Crystal and a 20" Sabian HH go for under $150. Try to avoid Zildjian A flats from the 70's as they are usually far too heavy.

If you want to invest in something very nice, talk to Tony at www.cymbalsonly.com. Tons of soundfiles up and he's hot a lot of great flats from Agops to Z Constantinoples. I really like some of the Bosphorus antique series flats. I think the 20" are going for around $275 which I think is very reasonable.

skitch

rufus4dagruv":3nsmpgc5 said:
Try to avoid Zildjian A flats from the 70's as they are usually far too heavy.
I don't know how they actually sold those. I did have an older, early '90s K Flat top which sounded very nice, but I felt that it was also too heavy.

Airborne Ranger

I own 2. A 20" Zildjian K Custom flat ride and I love it. I've added Pro-Mark rattler to add a sizzle sound to it. My other flat ride is an 18" A Zildjian thats since been discontinued by Zildjian. They work great for low volume gigs but can also be crashed with the shoulder of the stick for quick accents. Paiste makes some great flat rides too, the 20" Signature one in particular has a great "glassy" sound that doesn't get too loud or obtrusive, which is the great thing about flat rides. You can play them and not worry about overpowering the band or soloist, just a nice cushion of sound.

rufus4dagruv

Airborne Ranger":1md3k3n3 said:
I own 2. A 20" Zildjian K Custom flat ride and I love it. I've added Pro-Mark rattler to add a sizzle sound to it. My other flat ride is an 18" A Zildjian thats since been discontinued by Zildjian. They work great for low volume gigs but can also be crashed with the shoulder of the stick for quick accents. Paiste makes some great flat rides too, the 20" Signature one in particular has a great "glassy" sound that doesn't get too loud or obtrusive, which is the great thing about flat rides. You can play them and not worry about overpowering the band or soloist, just a nice cushion of sound.
The 20" KCFR's do sound nice. I A/B'd it to a 22" K Con, but I prefered the K Con as it was a little lighter and had a nice wobble where I still found the K Cust to be a just a little heavy for my taste. I have a rattler that I use with a 19" K Med Thin Crash and I find it dries it out considerably. What kinds of applications are you using that combo in?

Airborne Ranger

rufus4dagruv":8j48qoej said:
Airborne Ranger":8j48qoej said:
The 20" KCFR's do sound nice. I A/B'd it to a 22" K Con, but I prefered the K Con as it was a little lighter and had a nice wobble where I still found the K Cust to be a just a little heavy for my taste. I have a rattler that I use with a 19" K Med Thin Crash and I find it dries it out considerably. What kinds of applications are you using that combo in?
I play a lot of coffee-house gigs with a folk rock band and it works very well. I use it mostly for low volume shows. I play in a small jazz trio, (drums, piano, acoustic bass) and it works well for that too. I'd take it on any gig except a rock thing ( I use a 21" A Custom Med Ride for those gigs). I always have it on my set at home, positioned to the right of my regular ride. The 18" is way more limited to where I can use it because it doesn't have a good "presence", it's too quiet and thin sounding.

rufus4dagruv

Airborne Ranger":3iz3yhmi said:
rufus4dagruv":3iz3yhmi said:
Airborne Ranger":3iz3yhmi said:
I play a lot of coffee-house gigs with a folk rock band and it works very well. I use it mostly for low volume shows. I play in a small jazz trio, (drums, piano, acoustic bass) and it works well for that too. I'd take it on any gig except a rock thing ( I use a 21" A Custom Med Ride for those gigs). I always have it on my set at home, positioned to the right of my regular ride. The 18" is way more limited to where I can use it because it doesn't have a good "presence", it's too quiet and thin sounding.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread.

rufus4dagruv

PDP9000":3g240oll said:
All i know that they are really thin and break kinda easy.
Flat rides are generally thin, but also very quiet by nature. They are for use in low volume settings; if you're breaking them easily, you are most likely using them in the wrong environment/context.

PDP9000

rufus4dagruv":3q9y78uf said:
PDP9000":3q9y78uf said:
All i know that they are really thin and break kinda easy.
Flat rides are generally thin, but also very quiet by nature. They are for use in low volume settings; if you're breaking them easily, you are most likely using them in the wrong environment/context.

i have never owned one but i now people that have.

drumshark

I like the Zildjian ZHT Flat and Ping rides, they both sound fairly similar, so you might want to listen to both of them.