first preformance

wicked_313

hey guys im approaching my first real performance in front of a crowd of at least 200 people and im nervous as hell can i please get some tips on shakeing those nervs??

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

make sure you have a monitor next to you..if you can't hear the rest of the music while you're playin..your nerves will compound..other than that ..all i can suggest is a shot or two of Quervo.

Jon

Brother_Bong

Pretend they are not there, it's just another practice. Shoguns' right, make sure you have a monitor, or in ears. Also remember 90-95 percent of the crowd will only know if you made a mistake if you LOOK like you made a mistake. I used to do that, and shake my head and make a sad face, untill my buddy, who's better than me told me how many mistakes he counted just by my reactions. So put your game face on and keep it there, no matter what. :twisted:

cableman26

Lock into a groove and stay with it. Most people are not musicians, they won't notice a mistake here and there. Oh yea, and stretch alot before you go out. It helps with the nerves, and tension. If your real tense, you will tire yourself out fast.

nate

I have been in many bands and played many different instruments and sang in many performances and the best advice I give all of my bands are that no matter what happens, if one person stops playing, keep going. I dont care if the monitors blow and you can't hear (play quieter until the song is over), the guitarist/bassist quits playing(amp blows up, looses rhythm, forgets a chord), the singer shuts up(forgets lyrics, mic goes out...) whatever you do, DO NOT STOP THE SONG! I know it seems weird but I have gone to many local band concerts and the best one are the ones that when someone messes up(and believe me no matter what someone will) just work through it and dont stop. I've seen bands stop in the middle of a song cause the drummers 2nd crash fell over and they just stopped picked it up, then tuned up, and said sorry and started the song over again, NOT COOL! just keep it going is all I can tell you. Also don't worry so much about what everyone else thinks. Honestly I would love to see some people in the audience come up with some of the stuff musicians do and then get up on stage and do it. Its not easy. So just concentrate on the music, but have a good time too. And just dont look at one person while you look at the crowd, look at them all. You'll be fine just breath and be calm. And of course don't stop.

JasonS2C

Bong":2pa29xlg said:
Pretend they are not there, it's just another practice. Shoguns' right, make sure you have a monitor, or in ears. Also remember 90-95 percent of the crowd will only know if you made a mistake if you LOOK like you made a mistake. I used to do that, and shake my head and make a sad face, untill my buddy, who's better than me told me how many mistakes he counted just by my reactions. So put your game face on and keep it there, no matter what. :twisted:
Absolutely. If you don't show it, the audience will miss 95% of your "mistakes". Have a great show. 200+ for a first performance is awesome.

PDP9000

The same thing happend to me at my first show but i used monitors in the ears and i didnt make
any faces when i messed up. But i did a couple of times. But when i came off stgae
a few people said i was a great drummer and i never mess up :twisted:

kErmit vOn zOmbie

ignore them, and do your thing. once the stage lights kick in you won't see the majority of them anyway. just concentrate on your tune and have fun. btw, in a practice situation a 10 minute tune feels like a 10 minute tune, in a live situation a 10 minute tune will feel like a 2 minute blip. stay focused and have a blast!!!!

GypoDrummer

make sure you eat healthy before the show
stay calm and take slow breaths
sit on a chair and relax completely
do a few stretches

if your mind is relaxed, you CANT be nervous
its impossible

thats my advice on what to do BEFORE the show :D

GeorgeDemise

Really try and relax, everything will seem to go really quickly, try not to play everything faster too. After watching myself back on some old videos of big shows I played I played everything so fast haha!

Brother_Bong

kErmit vOn zOmbie":2m3rqq3n said:
ignore them, and do your thing. once the stage lights kick in you won't see the majority of them anyway. just concentrate on your tune and have fun. btw, in a practice situation a 10 minute tune feels like a 10 minute tune, in a live situation a 10 minute tune will feel like a 2 minute blip. stay focused and have a blast!!!!
Aint that the truth. We got off stage once and it seemed like we'd been up 25-30 min. in all reality it was closer to an hour.

"Really try and relax, everything will seem to go really quickly, try not to play everything faster too. After watching myself back on some old videos of big shows I played I played everything so fast haha!" Ol George has some wise advise there. Once the adrenaline kicks in, everything comes out like Raining Blood. Watch the other players and read their body language.

Hack_and_Slash

The best thing to do is to just enjoy what you've practiced and have fun. Never stop playing. If you forget your part, just play something simple to keep the flow going.

Potatoe Snack

once you start playing you'll relax. of course you get the jitters but once you play...at least for me, they're gone. poof, like magic.

NG1284

Don't psyche yourself out. Personally, my nerves are absolutely shot before I go on in front of even only like 50 people, but my confidence comes back the second I start playing.

Brother_Bong

Good post Wicked_313, I know this question crosses every starting players mind. A lot of good advise on here, we're all pullin for ya! :D