First practice, down the drain

screamBRYAN

Ok, I recently have been trying to put a band together and have now successfully done so, and today is supposed to be our first practice, but unfortunately I've come down with a bad cold, and stayed out of school today and am not allowed to go anywhere... I feel really bummed out, and hope the guys dont lose their faith in my faith to the band, besides my 10 pairs of sticks I ordered haven't arrived anyway, this whole ordeal pisses me off. what would you guys do if someone in your band missed practice for these reasons?

zen_drummer

screamBRYAN":3uy07osv said:
Ok, I recently have been trying to put a band together and have now successfully done so, and today is supposed to be our first practice, but unfortunately I've come down with a bad cold, and stayed out of school today and am not allowed to go anywhere... I feel really bummed out, and hope the guys dont lose their faith in my faith to the band, besides my 10 pairs of sticks I ordered haven't arrived anyway, this whole ordeal pisses me off. what would you guys do if someone in your band missed practice for these reasons?
I'd say, "wow, man... I hope you feel better soon!"

Then I would schedule a practice for some time next week. Here's the deal, if your band mates don't understand that life happens, you don't have much of a chance of working through the REAL problems that pop up in a band situation... you'll see what I mean soon enough...

screamBRYAN

thanks man, I hope they understand, because next week will be better anyway, and i agree completely with everything you said.

Mxpxdude189

Yeah dude, getting sick happens. It sucks, but like the guy above me said, that's very minor compared to other issues that usually make or break bands. Luckily I am in a band that works through everything by talking to each other. If someone has a problem with something, they will say it and we will work it out. That's the only way to sort out stuff.

Just don't get discouraged. My band had an awesome practice a couple weeks ago... and then my cymbal cracked in the middle of a song. I was pissed the rest of practice, because we had a show in a couple days. Now I see that everything's been ok, even with playing a couple weeks with a cracked cymbal. I'm probably getting a new one this week.

BOTTOM LINE... TALK PROBLEMS OUT AND NEVER GIVE UP.

Zim

zen_drummer":fn1uzwe7 said:
screamBRYAN":fn1uzwe7 said:
I'd say, "wow, man... I hope you feel better soon!"

Then I would schedule a practice for some time next week. Here's the deal, if your band mates don't understand that life happens, you don't have much of a chance of working through the REAL problems that pop up in a band situation... you'll see what I mean soon enough...

AS USUAL ZEN IS THE VOICE OF REASON. IF I LEARNED ANYTHING IN THE 30+ YEARS OF DRUMMING IS DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL SHIT!! GOOD LUCK AND W/ TIME YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN .

fuzionman

don't worry about it. if you're sick you're sick. what can you do except rest and let yourself get better? if you're bandmates can't understand that then they won't understand if the crazier problems (and you do run across them...believe me!) come up. good luck and feel better!

Wintersongs

I have to agree with everyone here. You get sick, you need to take care of yourself. That comes first and foremost. Besides, how can you give your best playing if you are ready to keel over?
Hope you feel better.

screamBRYAN

thanks guys, ive been out with the flu for 2 days now, it's horrible, i went to play my drums and i can't even hold the sticks without every bone from my hands to my shoulders aching. i hope i'm overall better by tomorrow.

mlumpkin13

Agreeing with every reply I've read, I lost my band on New Year's Eve over some dumb shit, so I hope your band understands, but if they don't then they're only going to cause problems later. Hope you get better.

screamBRYAN

I talked to my boys a little while ago and everything is good, I'm still waiting for my sticks to arrive which is a drag...