First Band Practice. Frustrating.

screamBRYAN

Ok, for weeks, I've been putting the band together with one of my friends. We finally get everything together and had our first practice today. Overall it was good, but there seemed to be a big difference in the chemistry between us and our one guitarist. My bassist, one guitarist, vocalist, and I are into pop-punk/screamo music, while our other guitarist is into metal such as Trivium and Disturbed and Slipknot. My two guitarists are coming from two different angles and styles of music... After a while, we started to flow, but my sis says it sounded like metal, which is not the style of music I want to create. I love making music, and am happy to be playing with other musicians, but I knew there was going to always be a challenge with the band, but I hope we get better with eachother, I guess I'll have to deal with our sound...

Anyone else have any problems similar to this?

meizmatt

imo you dont have a problem... being in a band isnt about sticking to a genre or staying away from another one, its about the members of the band coming together and creating. look at it this way, it was the first practice, so the metal guy is uncomfortable outside his zone(metal) so he stays there. In time the band is either gonna gel together or fall apart depending on the flexibility of the members of which it is made...

i would stick with it. a bands sound changes drastically in the first year while they try to find their niche

screamBRYAN

Well, I know i'm going to stick with it, I hope my one guitarist, the pop-punk one, isn't really impatient and quits. I'D BE PISSED! And wer'e trying to make decent songs quickly before Battle of The Bands and shit but we don't wanna sound like this band that threw shit together in a week and sound like shit. They piss me off, the only reason people love them is because they're all popular... but we're serious...

screamBRYAN":3nw563c0 said:
but we don't wanna sound like this band that threw shit together in a week and sound like shit. They piss me off, the only reason people love them is because they're all popular... but we're serious...
I had the EXACT same situation when I was in high school. All my life I've worked hard to become a good drummer and to put together a good band, but a group of dumb asses who could barely play their instruments always were a hit over my band (which was actually much better) in high school. It was so disgusting, but let me tell you, everyone in that band went to college, gained their freshman 15 pounds lol, and that band still plays at parties of their high school friends when they all come home for holiday breaks. And that's all they ever did. My band is going out to California for shows, meanwhile. So it's definitely worth your time to stick with it. While disgusting now, I can guarantee you serious musicians will win out.

screamBRYAN

Thanks man, I live to play music and make music, and learn as much as I can about making music everyday, and all my band is like that. I think if we all learn to accept eachother, we'll thrive. My favorite drummer told me at a meet and greet, "making music is like making a painting, bring in all the colors you can, and you just might create a good picture."

TheYardstick

I say keep the sound, having a metal sound, but pop-punk or scream-o lyrics could attract a whole new crowd. Be innovative, be different, be unique.

UNIONVILLE

stick with it man. its nothing out of the ordinary. ive been with my band for 5 years and theres always all kinds of different ideas being thrown around. i say just let it come together natually and create something totally unique.

drummert2k

dont try to put yourself in a genre. just play what you know and play what you feel. whether it sounds metal, pop/punk, whiney screamo, bluegrass, whatever. just dont TRY to make yourself sound a cirtain way. just play what you feel.

XIxPxGX

dude dont sweat it just go with the flow my band broke up a while ago so me and 2 of the other members started a new band and we started praciting like a trio and we tried to go for a sound and it sounded like ass cause the guitarist isnt really made for chugging but me coming from hardcore and heavy music can play what ever really and the bassist is into everything like me so we stoppped that and just wrote and now its totally different and i love it like for instance one of our songs sound differently. dont try to do something just do it like your pop punk guitarist might write something poppy but your metal guitarist could compliment it with something more heavier. and in the end you might get some sick shit. o and dont rush things just make sure you guys stay focused

strokelahoma

drummert2k":1b6eb3hv said:
dont try to put yourself in a genre. just play what you know and play what you feel. whether it sounds metal, pop/punk, whiney screamo, bluegrass, whatever. just dont TRY to make yourself sound a cirtain way. just play what you feel.

I agree completely. I am in a band right now. All of us have slightly different tastes for the most part we all have tastes in what you call "metal" I am the bass player in this band and I like a lot of thrash such as Trivium, all that Remains and things along those lines, one of our guitarist like more melodic 'radio playable" hard rock, our other guitarist has some stuff that he likes that is a lot of old school bluesy rock and death metal at the same time. Our drummer likes a lot of electronica and J-rock type of stuff. and out singer likes A lot of pop type of stuff he likes some metal but for him it is always about how good the singer. But we all blend our tastes in music into something we all like. It is really about what sounds good. I mean if our one guitarist is writing a song in a blues esque style and it sounds good we will work off of it and everyone just adds what we think sounds good on top.

A good example of this blend between punk/emo and hard rock is the band The Human Abstract. Their singer sound kind of punky but all the music has a lot of great guitar and soloing. I would recommend checking them out for some source of inspiration.

xltorocksx

Speaking on all this battle of the bands schtuff. I remember my first battle of the bands.. We had a four piece band together and we practiced the same five songs over and over and over Every night for 4 hours a nite for several months.
By about the third month everyone was gettin pretty edgy with each other, then our bassist quit. Anyway the main reason we were doing this was because there was a cash prize for first place and we needed to buy some new equipment. Well to make a long story a little shorter, we went there ...everyone else sucked pretty bad, and we hit the jackpot when we won the whopping cash prize of 100 bucks...man were we dissapointed...haha

screamBRYAN

Lol, we probably won't win, the popular shit band will probably win... but we just wanna play the show for the sake of giving what we think would be a good show... theres nothing like being nervous and then it just flows and after the show everything is awesome... idk, it's like a natural high, lol...

meizmatt

xltorocksx":3sapb3y1 said:
everyone else sucked pretty bad, and we hit the jackpot when we won the whopping cash prize of 100 bucks...man were we dissapointed...haha
man you guys must have been rolling in cash for about 3 seconds after you won... :lol:

I definitely agree with everyone who said it's great that you have diverse musical backgrounds. After all, if you all liked the same bands, chances are your music would come out sounding very much like those particular bands. Being different is the way you come up with a sound that's going to be your own. My band is a three piece hard rock group, and myself and the lead singer/guitarist write all the songs. He's very into classic rock, blues and grunge, and my background is ska/punk/reggae/metal. It's a very unique combination that works out great. It sounds like you guys have a good thing started, best of luck and I hope you post about how the battle goes! Down with the popular band lol.

drummer619

yeah everyone's already said it all dude, it takes awhile to click, or find out you truly don't, so yeah best of luck bro.

drum_bum

I understand exactly where everyones coming from.i've been in a few bands,but i've been the one who is different to everyone else.
The one main band I was in (who have split up :( ) were all into indie/alternative sorta stuff,whereas im into rock/metal/old school rock as i put it.(the who,rolling stones,etc).The thing is though,it all sorta fitted together and sounded good!!You had this mellow/upbeat music with a simple,straight heavy backing.All good.

only thing i can say is keep plugging at it.it'll all fall into place in the end :lol:

PatternsInTheIvy

Most of them time when you get people that are into punk/pop/emo type music you end up getting a pretty bad sound no matter what. Sorry to say, but they just dont know what sounds good and just put crap together. Sometimes they even have the delusion that what they are playing is really good and innovative when it's been done a million times. To be brutally honest, if you guys go for the pop-punk-hardcore stuff youll end up like all the "popular" shit and just be another fish in the vast ocean of music.

PatternsInTheIvy

Also in addition, have you ever heard of the band called Children of Bodom? They are a shining example of mixed musical preferences.

Formed in 1993 and hailing from the city of Espoo, Finland, this young Finnish group took their name from one of the biggest murder mysteries in the history of their home town and Finnish crime: the murders at the Lake Bodom. After starting out as a thrash-metal combo, the founding members Alexi Laiho (guitars and vocals), Jaska Raatikainen (drums), Henkka Seppälä (bass) and Alexander Kuoppala (guitars) soon found elements of classic heavy metal creeping into their music. After taking in keyboardist Janne Wirman to complete their line-up, they honed their combination of old schoold black metal, classic heavy, and death metal vocals into the sharpest instrument of its kind and headed out to a studio record a demo tape.

After Spinefarm Records received Children Of Bodom’s demo, it didn’t take long for the company to figure out what they had in their hands back in late 1996. Soon the band was signed and ready to knock a few heads off.

The self-titled debut single "Children Of Bodom" went straight to number 1 on the Finnish charts and sold platinum. The debut full-length album "Something Wild" was released in Finland in 1997. The Bodoms supported Dimmu Borgir at the band's Helsinki show in November and were hailed as the new kings of Finnish underground metal by the press. Licensing deal with Nuclear Blast for central Europe was inked quickly and soon after Middle Europe the album was also released in Japan and Thailand.

screamBRYAN

I know what your getting at about sounding like every other band, but unlike this other band in my school, we aren't throwing random riffs, and crappy nonstop drum fills into our music. We're trying new things and teaching eachother new things, and taking our stuff and building and rebuilding over and over. We are going to work and not quit.