Fire Fighter

dbkman

Thanks guys. It's something I've been thinkin and praying about for a long time and I think it's what I wanna do...not to mention, my little brother is a burn victim, and it's got me thinkin about helpin people alot so ya..that's what's up with me! lol. Thanks again for the kind words fellas. All the encouragement helps..the training is gonna be intense but I think i'll make it.

SmellsLikeIan

Hell yeah for you, man. My brother used to be a firefighter. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it, since most firefighters are paramedics also. Car wrecks would probably mess with my head. But the world needs more people that can keep a level head in those types of situations. The upside is that it pays pretty good, the 24 hours on 48 hours off shifts are cool (a lot of firefighters start side businesses) and people tend to like firefighters more than police. (Sorry Stump, but you know it's the truth. One guy writes you a ticket, the other guy puts a fire out-no contest!) Good luck dbk.

stump

SmellsLikeIan":13v1um1n said:
Hell yeah for you, man. My brother used to be a firefighter. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it, since most firefighters are paramedics also. Car wrecks would probably mess with my head. But the world needs more people that can keep a level head in those types of situations. The upside is that it pays pretty good, the 24 hours on 48 hours off shifts are cool (a lot of firefighters start side businesses) and people tend to like firefighters more than police. (Sorry Stump, but you know it's the truth. One guy writes you a ticket, the other guy puts a fire out-no contest!) Good luck dbk.
I don't take offense, though we as Cops don't just write tickets. We respond to medical calls, are usually the first ones on wreck calls, run to protect people who can't protect themselves and run into situations willingly where most people are running the other way. I personally have been shot at, shot people, been cut, had broken bones, saved a babies life, performed CPR on a wreck victim for 27 minutes before EMS or Fire arrived, ran into a burning house to save a neighbors dog (that was stupid but I liked the dog) and worst of all lost friends in the line of duty (the latest 2 weeks ago) just to mention a few things. I don't knock any public safety workers job, they all have their trials and triumphs. I am proud of all Firemen and women, EMS personnel, Soldiers and Police. And I am most of all proud to be a Cop that does more than just write tickets. Sorry for my little rant and it's all good Ian. Peace on ya!!

Timekeep69

stump":3d6krefy said:
SmellsLikeIan":3d6krefy said:
I don't take offense, though we as Cops don't just write tickets. We respond to medical calls, are usually the first ones on wreck calls, run to protect people who can't protect themselves and run into situations willingly where most people are running the other way. I personally have been shot at, shot people, been cut, had broken bones, saved a babies life, performed CPR on a wreck victim for 27 minutes before EMS or Fire arrived, ran into a burning house to save a neighbors dog (that was stupid but I liked the dog) and worst of all lost friends in the line of duty (the latest 2 weeks ago) just to mention a few things. I don't knock any public safety workers job, they all have their trials and triumphs. I am proud of all Firemen and women, EMS personnel, Soldiers and Police. And I am most of all proud to be a Cop that does more than just write tickets. Sorry for my little rant and it's all good Ian. Peace on ya!!
That's why I could never be a cop. If someone ever shot at me, I'd empty my gun into them. I know cops can't do that.

SmellsLikeIan

stump":285jekan said:
SmellsLikeIan":285jekan said:
Yeah, you know what I meant though. The majority of people forget the good and dwell on the bad. And aside from the fire marshall writing tickets, usually people are relieved to see the firetruck. Not always the same when you see a police car. But I have a couple of cop friends, and I'm not a hater.

stump

SmellsLikeIan":2flxajul said:
stump":2flxajul said:
SmellsLikeIan":2flxajul said:
Yeah, you know what I meant though. The majority of people forget the good and dwell on the bad. And aside from the fire marshall writing tickets, usually people are relieved to see the firetruck. Not always the same when you see a police car. But I have a couple of cop friends, and I'm not a hater.
I know Bro...just had a moment of ranting. P.O.Y.

ChrisNichols

Timekeep69":22o2wm20 said:
stump":22o2wm20 said:
SmellsLikeIan":22o2wm20 said:
That's why I could never be a cop. If someone ever shot at me, I'd empty my gun into them. I know cops can't do that.
Well that's one thing I've learned from CSI is I couldn't be a cop, I'd kick too many people's asses. But I have an enormous respect for both them and firefighters! Props!

DrumsPlus

dbkman":ec8vey26 said:
Yup, I'm going to be a fire fighter. I begin training in april. Wish me luck friends...
I was a Fire fighter for a couple of years. I still am First Responder. One of the most rewarding jobs you can have. Even though I was on a Volunteer department, it is hard than it looks. Congrats and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Airborne Ranger

Timekeep69":xwkpvkwh said:
That's an advantage to being a soldier, you can empty your rifle into someone. Been there, and it is indeed a good feeling.

Empyrean Drums

Timekeep69":xs5f2993 said:
Here in Denver they'll onload into you for drawin' a Pepsi can

dbkman

Wow, thanks for the support guys. I haven't checked on this post in a while. Ya, I start training in february. I went to see the training grounds...I gotta tell you I'm nervous but I'm beyond ready. Just trying to prepare myself for what I know I'll see...But thanks again for all the kind words guys. Ya'll rock! And stump, I didn't know you were a cop. My dad was one. Just retired from orlando's homeland security dept. One of the tops in there. He wants me to be a marine, but eh..not for me. I'de love to destroy some terrorists but with all the "oh no, let's not bomb they're funerals, while they hide in hospitals" I'de be the first guy arrested for throwin grenades in windows like I was delivering paper. So anyways, ya I chose the fire fighter thing. I have great respect for any cop though, my dad has stories, scars, and an early retirement to show that...it ain't an easy job. So my thanks goes to you stump, and any other firefighter/ emt/ doctor/ cop/ and especially any soldier past or present.