Financial Limitations anyone?

JustinDube

I'm Justin, 20, from Lewiston, Maine. Hello everyone. I've been playing since I was 12 or 13, self-taught except for complicated rudiments I learned in marching band. Oh, I played the quads 3 and a half years for the band, and proud of it.

I've read through tons and tons of threads here and I feel like I connect with almost all of you, whether it be a style of music thread or a tuning thread. But, I've also noticed that no one seems to have any problems building their sets and perfecting their dream kits. I'm one of the better drummers from my area, but I have the most ghetto set I've ever seen. The shells are a no name brand that I got from a music pawn shop like 6 years ago. I'm down to one mounted tom, and not by choice. One of my floor tom's leg won't stay screwed in anymore, so one side is held up by a wood block. My throne is torn up and won't adjust anymore. I have only my camber4000 hihats and 2 stolen 8+ year old crashes; both have minor cracks. I feel like the only parts of my set that make me proud are my tama doublebass pedal and the donated tom and bass heads. I've even gotten to the point where I'm using the butt-end of my sticks because they are all that I have left.

Does anyone else share my pain, or am I the only poor drummer out here?

Call me Gideon

Nah Justin...I feel your pain. It sounds like your sets in worse condition than mine but I've been there. Ive got a pretty decent kit but thats only because someone bought it for me. Im playin on cymbal stands that are fallin apart, some solar hi-hats that sound like shit cause my decent hi-hats are cracking and I want to save what little lifes left in them for shows, havent had new heads in over a year. When I do splurge and buy something for the kit Im broke. Ebay can be your friend though. Im buying Vic Firth "seconds" 10 pr for $30. You can find some decent cymbals on there cheap. Credit can help too. I just got some at the the dreaded Guitar Center *gasp* and can get some stuff that I need, as long as I dont go overboard.

FelterSkelter

It sounds like a CB kit and a starter cymbal pack would do you justice.

Are you a college student? Take advantage of a summer job.

skitch

JustinDube":35ogjvae said:
I'm Justin, 20, from Lewiston, Maine. Hello everyone. I've been playing since I was 12 or 13, self-taught except for complicated rudiments I learned in marching band. Oh, I played the quads 3 and a half years for the band, and proud of it.

I've read through tons and tons of threads here and I feel like I connect with almost all of you, whether it be a style of music thread or a tuning thread. But, I've also noticed that no one seems to have any problems building their sets and perfecting their dream kits. I'm one of the better drummers from my area, but I have the most ghetto set I've ever seen. The shells are a no name brand that I got from a music pawn shop like 6 years ago. I'm down to one mounted tom, and not by choice. One of my floor tom's leg won't stay screwed in anymore, so one side is held up by a wood block. My throne is torn up and won't adjust anymore. I have only my camber4000 hihats and 2 stolen 8+ year old crashes; both have minor cracks. I feel like the only parts of my set that make me proud are my tama doublebass pedal and the donated tom and bass heads. I've even gotten to the point where I'm using the butt-end of my sticks because they are all that I have left.

Does anyone else share my pain, or am I the only poor drummer out here?
Hi Justin!

I do feel your pain...however.....

• Don't ever buy anything on credit if you can avoid it! Credit is a sophisitcated form of slavery and will only place limitations on you options in your future!
  • Think creatively to solve your dilemma....knowledge is power. Can you think of something you can do, a skill, that can make you money?
  • I know that many people are into new and shinny. The best musical instruments are used...learn to sharpen your eye for these gems!
  • Work on building your kit one part at a time and don't limit yourself to brands
  • Look on Craigslist for some bargains. Ebay has become too well-known to find every day bargains.
  • Peruse the classifieds and garage sales. You may find something that the person who has no idea that they have a highly prized vintage snare drum or cymbal! Be a good invistigator

If learn how to fix problems, you will always get through! Problems are a part of life and there are no ways of avoiding them! Learn how to repair drums, stands and even other instruments! This way, you will be learning a skill that others will pay you for! How about working in a drum shop? How about renting your crappy drums to the kid how is trying out drums for a few weeks?

In one week, I had one of the greatest epiphanies of my life and this was after a devestating blow of be laid off from my job. I read a book titled, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad." It is mostly about real estate but the point is, is to think creatively on how to solve your dilemma. This was also the same day that I took my first drum lesson from the drummer Zoro!

You mentioned thast you played in marching band. how about coaching a drumline or teaching some drum lessons at a school.....or seven?

Put your mind to it - you are one of us, you are creative and you can solve these problems!

skitch

By the way, do you live close to Meductic in Canada? You could go and apprentice at Sabian as a cymbal-maker! Bob Zildjian is a great man! Or you could apprentice at the Zildjian factory or for Vic Firth or GMS. The sky is the limit for you.

JustinDube

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I do work for a living, but I never seem to have any extra money for drum parts. I'll look into some of those suggestions though. Thanks a bunch!

Sway

Hey just so you know i think that B8Pros are some of the best starter cymbals out there. Im a hard itter and we got ZBT's and ZHT's. I noticed that both of the crashes are starting to bend and stuff where you hit them. Weve had the B8Pro's at our church for about 10 years probably more. THe Hi-hats are extremly crisp and the crashes sound good and dont flake out unless you take a hammer to them. The ride is beautiful to. I got stuck with it i even got A custom and i still really like the other one. I guess after you play on something for a long time. But non the less it sounds GREAT! PDP makes good kits for cheap and i just got a used PDP and i like that even there cheaper stuff resonates really good! Gretch does to make really good kits for cheap. Dont get the one thats like red with a black racing strap cause it sounds good but the toms loose there tune incredicly fast especially the snare.

Just thought i would give some stuff i thought was good and that might help you when you buy. Good luck though man!

ineeda pill

i share ur pain, im tryin to save up for a m birch or somethin like that and theres quite a few aa cymbals i'd like to have. just save up.

hasthespaz

im ok at the moment, i want a new kit though...

my cymbals are mainly from ebay (pick up some like old school Zildjian and sabians for cheap) and my crashes are staggs (better than the low end zildjians by far!)... im slowly upgrading though..

my hats cost me ?40 a pair of sabian pro's there AMAZING!

my ride was ?40 a Zildjian Amir 20"

i dont know how old they are, but there doing it for me, and my wallet

Nhara

i feel u man, being a muscian is hard, being a drummer is worse. if u think about it drummers are prabably one of the most money eating members of the band. a guitarist usually requires a good guitar [somewhere around 2-3 thousand if ur really THAT good] and amp [again somewhere around 500 to 1000 if ur THAT good] and some pedals [ranges anywhere from 50 bucks to thousands of dollars for tapdancing capabilities~!] anyways, back to my point drum sets cost anywhere from 1 to 4 thousand dollars ranging from the size of the drum, the wood, the finnish etc. etc. then the hardware, then the cybals, the throne, the sticks, the heads, the list goes on and on. but i believe that the drummer makes the set, the set doesn't make you. even if u have an old beat up pile of junk, atleast that's something to get going on. LIVE AND LET ROCK~!

drumsforlife

I feel your pain too. We're drummers. We have addictions...like cymbals!:) We're gonna be broke most of the time. The trick is being smart with your money. I saved up for a year and a half, sometimes putting aside only a dollar at a time. Eventually, I had enough to buy a new snare. And my choice changed while I was saving up. I originally was going to buy a $369 dollar snare, but I ran across another cheaper one with a better finish and sound so I bought that one instead and put the rest of the money I was saving for a trip with my fiance. Ebay stuff. Check out the used rack for cymbals. Go yardsale-ing! That's how I got my kit. It's a CB. Cheap, but it's a set of drums. It's taken me six years of saving up and upgrading to get it the way I want it to sound, but I'm a pretty patient man. Here's my secret: I keep telling myself that appearances can be deceiving. Somebody that can easily go out and buy their 8-piece dream kit may not appreciate their kit as much as somebody like you who has to work hard and save money over a period of time in order to get the same thing.

Here's a bit of encouragement. I recently went to go see a swing orchestra play. Their drummer was playing on what looked like very old, rusty, crappy drums. It was a four piece, each drum coming from a different kit. Sure he had Istanbul cymbals, evans heads, and axis pedals, but the kit sounded bad ass. It's not really what you play on, it's up to the drummer to make it work. Be proud of what you know from marching band. Be proud to be playing on something at all. I spent three years with no kit, "air drumming" before I bought my CBs. Take care and I wish you the best of luck! Drum on!

P.S. A drummer's talent and ingenuity far outweigh a very expensive, shiny new set of drums anyday...in my opinion. I'm more interested in what the drummer is playing rather than what the drummer is playing on...

skitch

JustinDube":1r4ell80 said:
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I do work for a living, but I never seem to have any extra money for drum parts. I'll look into some of those suggestions though. Thanks a bunch!
Think passive income which means you not having to be present to earn.

andybfrank

Dude, I suffered through not owning a kit, to borrowing kits, to owning a bad kit that always had old worn out heads, to finally getting a halfway decent kit, only to have it stolen. Nothing beats the feeling when you finally buy the kit of your dreams with your own money. It took me until I was 28, and I started playing when I was 10. Hang in there.

A side note about my first kit: It was a bottom of the line Mapex that I got back in 1995 or so. My brother still uses and plays shows with it. It has cracks in the wrap and the the resonant bass rim is missing, so he doesn't have a reso bass head. The bass drums spurs wore out, so he put on some new Gibraltar spurs. You can order pieces of hardware for cheap at amdrumparts.com, or take things off of old drums. My bro has good cymbals and a pearl sensitone snare, which cost him a bit of money, but not nearly as much as a whole new kit, and all in all, it sounds pretty good, especially when it's miked. Make do with what you got. There's no shame in not having nice kit, and its actually kind of fun to perform experiments with it, switching around hardware and rigging things up. Try putting a new wrap on them or painting.

Kaos

Iv ebeen there many times guys Ive sold everything too many times to feed my kids Ive been blessed and I now am able to put money away in my savings account plus my wife is finally done with school so theres two incomes. I did learn through the years though that a little money can go along way I bought a used router and any hoops I could get my hands on. when I came across a tom or snare that needed fixing I'd repaint and put on new edges. just a suggestion.