finally got this solo video up

break the prism

thanks. i had been working on some new licks and was kind of upset that i wasn't going to have a solo, but then our band director was like "you guys wanna play Chock Full? i was so psyched.

vahnn

Dude this makes me totally wish i could go back and not be anti-school and gotten in jazz band! =\

break the prism

thanks. this year was my first in jazz band. at my school you need to be in marching band to have a spot in jazz band, so for three years i never joined. but in the middle of this year i was just like...i really wanna do this. so i sucked it up and marched.

drumsforlife

break the prism":utlzu3cy said:
thanks. this year was my first in jazz band. at my school you need to be in marching band to have a spot in jazz band, so for three years i never joined. but in the middle of this year i was just like...i really wanna do this. so i sucked it up and marched.
Marching is always beneficial, whether others realize it or not. Think about it. You either have to memorize your part, or read it, all while marching. And if you're marching, you're also remembering pages of drill. And if you're remembering pages of drill, you're also remembering the fundamentals of marching like posture, 8 to 5 step, two or four step interval, and so on. And if you're remembering the fundamentals, you're also remembering all the fundamentals of playing music to begin with, i.e. dynamics, tempo, meter changes(meter changes are fun because your step size also changes with the meter) added stick visuals, you get the idea. It's a good workout for the brain. My last year marching in college we had a t-shirt that said "Marching is an extreme sport." And it's true. Who else would spend 8 hours a day out in the hot sun learning a show only to spend four more hours inside each day to learn the music? Besides, picking on the rookies is the most fun! When I became section leader, I made all the rookies do push-ups if I had explained something and they didn't follow it. When I was drum major, (in high school) I had the entire band running laps at times. Sounds harsh, but we had the best show out of all the schools around, and it was the best show ever at the school. If you can hack it, then it's very beneficial. Working your brain and your body like that exposes you to performing in front of people, also while teaching you discipline and good work ethic. Also you build up your chops in no time due to the amount of time spent learning the show.

I know, I know. I'm a band geek. Always have been and always will be.

The video is good stuff man. Good playing! Keep it up!