Fills

dbkman

I'm one of the kind of drummer who likes more toms in my fills. Some drummers are more into lots of snare in their fills, like flams, builds, or maybe paradiddles between the kick and snare. ( this is not about what best serves the song, its about as a drummer, what do YOU like ) let me know!

SGarrett

I use a mixture of both. I look at my toms as semi-melodic possibilities for what I play on the snare.

If you ever want to challenge yourself, take your kit down to kick, snare, and hats. Nothing else.

Rob Crisp

I like to use both together, accented notes on snare and toms, ghost notes on the snare.

I like to use toms for rythmic patterns as well, almost tribal grooves.

dbkman

ya, i break my kit down to a 4 piece here and there. when you can downsize your kit and get good, it makes you better and more tastefull with your fills. depending on the music, the fills vary. but say for like rock, playing like 13/8 time at like 153 on the metronome, i like to use more snare flam and kick patterns more than toms, if anything quick runs here and there. but i also love the slow fills like someone mentioned where you just let'em hang and hear the notes..ooo man, you gotta love the drums

FiestyRedDrummEr

dbkman":2xzy7bzu said:
ya, i break my kit down to a 4 piece here and there. when you can downsize your kit and get good, it makes you better and more tastefull with your fills. depending on the music, the fills vary. but say for like rock, playing like 13/8 time at like 153 on the metronome, i like to use more snare flam and kick patterns more than toms, if anything quick runs here and there. but i also love the slow fills like someone mentioned where you just let'em hang and hear the notes..ooo man, you gotta love the drums
I agree. The more variety you can do with the less drums is always better.
I like tom fills too, i mean..they are there for a reason! lol That and I like to do some cymbal stuff.

rufus4dagruv

In my set up, I find myself using 2 toms most of the time, and rarely any more. I would say when it comes to the fills, I use them as much as I us my snare. I have played quite a few gigs on with just a kick, snare, hats, and my trusty 19" K med thin. Them's is fun times!

king_friday

i guess i would have to say my snare because i rarely do fills that only use the toms, the snare is usually in there somewhere. but i do fills that only use the snare. so i guess you could say im a snare oriented guy. dont get me wrong though, my toms are great i just generally dont use them alone, i mean ofcourse i do sometimes, but not nearly as much as i use the snare by its self.

m

my outlook on fills has changed over the years;
I used to stick to full-out quads or triplets at top speed, with toms and bass and maybe a snare here or there.
Also liked the BIG fill, running across the toms.

Then I started to realize that fills can be like a little song in themselves. I started to search for places to sneak in a cymbal or something I might not have used in a fill before, trying to break them up and give them more of a life of their own.

I still like a nice phat phill now and then, but I definitely approach it differently than I did a few years ago. These days I like to use anything on my kit in a fill as long as it fits the flow and tone of the part.

TheYardstick

It all depends on the mood I'm in, I can do all sorts of fills but it depends on the musical style and whatever I feel like playing.

I have been playing snare-tom variations a lot lately though.

Lavats

I mostly prefer 4th and 8th beats on the toms and snare, then switching into 16th then back into 8th. :p
I usually just go left to right.

xKELDORx

I like to keep it at a steady Balanced flow.

not to much snare,in my fills, and not to much tom.

but really i like putting both the snare and toms in a fill

kinda like well hard to explain

snare to tom in to a drum roll on the snare

thats what i like.

click on my sig and listen to the song on there and you will kinda get what im talkign a bout.