fills with double bass

seandude

i was just wanting to know what to do fills with double bass
TTBBTTBBTTBB like that
or just do u have anything with like doule bass like
SSSSBBBBTTTTBBBBSSSSBBBB
like that idk something
they sound cool in like slipknot and lamb of god songs

(im not very good at double bass so i dont really know)
anyone know what i mean?

drummert2k

i never really used double pedal within fills that much because none of the bands i've been in had music that really had a need for complex fills or really double bass in general. hence the reason i play single pedal. but with i do use the TTBBTTBBTTBB thing you mentioned but with a single pedal.

but when i would use the double bass in fill it would be something rythmic and kinda sparatic rather than just STTTBB or something like that

drumsforlife

I use the same method as drummert2k. I do TTBBTTBBTTBB on single kick. I really haven't taken the time to develop my double kick skills. (I'm still working on my left foot/hi-hat technique and independance) But I do have somewhat of a knowledge.

Yea you could do sixteenths like so:

TTBBTTBBTTBB

Or you could use a multiple of 3, like triplets

SSSBBBTTTBBBTTTBBB

or

SSBBTTBBTTBB

You could also try kicking out rudiments on double bass

you could also split up a rudiment between the snare or toms and the double bass...

Really, the possibilities are endless...sky's the limit...depending on how badly you want to use and apply double kick. I suggest a similar method to me and drummert2k. Then graduate up to double like I'm planning on doing once I get some more lessons...

balefullybenign

i do it a couple of ways:

the way most of these guys have been describing
TTBBTTBB

i also do

TBTBTBTB

kinda like how people do blast beats, but instead of the hh and snare, it's a pattern on the toms with the snare included

or i'll change the pattern of the base, but keep the toms going at the same tempo

TBTBTBT TBTBT T TBTB

Damagedrummer

Alchemyspug":3j2flvf9 said:
try patterns of six
RLRLKK
I like that one too very much!! RLRLKKRLRLKKRLRL!

Also I use alot of flams on the toms while the bassdrum rolls in 16th or 32th. That always gives me a sence of power. And then end that shit with the old smackaroo on the china of whatever makes alot of noise!! :lol:

break the prism

i've always taken the rudimental approach to double bass drumming. for fills in both my band and in my combo's fusion improvisations i have double bass handy. but for combo, to get rid of that repetitive double bass sound i have a custom made wooden click pad for the slave beater. so instead of 'boom boom boom' on the kick you hear 'boom click boom'
just to add my own flavor.

like i said, the rudimentary approach works best for me. try practicing snare drum rudiments like single and double paradiddles, alternatiting 'right foot, right hand, left foot, left hand' instead of just constant feet or constant hands.

skitch

drummert2k":37afmyey said:
i never really used double pedal within fills that much because none of the bands i've been in had music that really had a need for complex fills or really double bass in general. hence the reason i play single pedal. but with i do use the TTBBTTBBTTBB thing you mentioned but with a single pedal.

but when i would use the double bass in fill it would be something rythmic and kinda sparatic rather than just STTTBB or something like that
I would agree on most of this and I usually just use the double pedal for a triplet ruff anymore. At one time, in the Recycler - LA's music magazine - there were ads like"If you play double bass drums or a double pedal, don't bother responding". Apparently, everyone was using the double bass drum alittle too much.

SeanGordon

My favorite that I Learned from hearing Chambers, Beauford & Portnoy is

Take the whole RLRLKK Pattern and apply it this way:

SSSSKKT1T1T1T1KKT2T2T2T2KKT3T3T3T3KK
T2T2T2T2KKT3T3T3T3KKT4T4T4T4(SCrsh)

DO THAT WHOLE FILL IN A 4 COUNT Just take away a tom fill or add another loop back to add time depending on the fill length needed. Such as:123234345456 and so on depending on how many toms you use or roto-toms, octobans or whatever. This is also a great great practice for Single stroke to DB coordination.

Empyrean Drums

skitch":2kzczst0 said:
drummert2k":2kzczst0 said:

I would agree on most of this and I usually just use the double pedal for a triplet ruff anymore. At one time, in the Recycler - LA's music magazine - there were ads like"If you play double bass drums or a double pedal, don't bother responding". Apparently, everyone was using the double bass drum alittle too much.
Yeah, because not being able to play something makes you better....

Daza73

seandude":3v82qjvo said:
i was just wanting to know what to do fills with double bass
TTBBTTBBTTBB like that
or just do u have anything with like doule bass like
SSSSBBBBTTTTBBBBSSSSBBBB
like that idk something
they sound cool in like slipknot and lamb of god songs

(im not very good at double bass so i dont really know)
anyone know what i mean?
first off start gettin a gist of the double kicker wot u can do
is buy a snare book and use that but with your double kick and start slowly and start building speed etc.

i listened to bands like avenged the dead, haste the day, and bury your dead is def a good band with double kicker in the fills
or u could use flams with your double kicker and flams on the toms like
SS BB TT BB TT etc

Martybabes

Yea i use the SSSSBB or TTTTBB, joey jordison uses alot of that and it sounds pretty cool, in my opinion.

another thing to try which i use quite a bit is TTTTBBB, it took me a while to get it sounding right, but the way i play it is to play the bass drums slightly faster. you could look at it as a group of 7 where it's all at the same speed, but i tend to think of it split, to the notes on the hands semi quavers and the notes on the feet semi quaver triplets.

Try it, i find it fun to play, hope this helped

thelegendofdale

here is one, its a ittle complicated, but try this skk skk skk kskk skkk, and once u get that, sub ur tombs for the snare going across the set like this= skk t1kk t2kk kt3kk t4kk. i love that fill. or skk t1kk skk t2kk skk t3kk sss kkk, or sskk kkss sskk kkkk. get creative. i love alternating triplets and 16th feel is the same fill, its fun

Gazdkw82§

iv started using these kinda fills alot and when you get the smooth they sound and look great. i work mine in 6's like sssskk ttttkk flflflflkk etc

i also like (notice the accents make it triplets) Fl ss T1 kk Fl ss T1 kk

if you work that around the kit it sounds ace

BloodWings17

heres a really cool fill spread around the kit

snare flam,BB,STSTSTST,BB,LTLTLTLT,BB,FTFT,BB,FTFT

st-small tom
lt-large tom
ft-floor tom

maddogg72

I would suggest the book: " Stick Control for the Snare Drummer. By George Lawrence Stone. Its like $10.00 at your local music store, has been used by countless drummers, and has been considered an essential tool ever since it was written in 1935.

When I first started using double bass (as well as now), I found that the easiest fill for me to do was what I think is called double-double, which is like a flam on the kick drum, followed by a flam on a drum, but played in such a way so that it falls in time, and I would just move my hands around the kit (BBT1T1BBT2T2BBT3T3BBSCrash). Later on I found that when I was trying to keep a steady count (lets say 16ths) with my double bass (or with my Hi-Hat and kick), I was actually playing them more like a flam and was not able to keep them separated evenly, so my teacher suggested that I practice the single beat combinations from "Stick Control" alternating between using my hands and feet in different combinations (rhrf,rhlf,rhlh,lhlf,lhrf,lfrf).
It helped me to get my legs and feet more independent, as well as gave me a bunch of new patterns to incorporate into fills and general playing. :)

Piddywiffle

Where's Portnoy when you need him *looks around*

If you want good example of fills incorperating the bass drum check out Portnoy.

He does patters of say... two snare, four bass, two snare, two bass, four 1st mounted tom, two bass, four second mounted tom, two bass, repeat.

Which Honestly in my head that sounds really good... I just kinda winged that together to give an example of Portnoy, but I'm kinda diggen it.

But yea! Check out Portnoy for awsome fills with the bass.

Yep indeed, Portnoy is known for fills that incorporate bass drums.

I'd recommend checking out Mike Portnoy's "Liquid Drum Theater" DVD. He touches on those kinds of fills and shows you how to do them. Also, check out his new DVD "In Constant Motion," which is a great dvd, and I thought it blew the LDT DVD out of the water. I thought the LDT dvd was fantastic, but his new one is even better. He touches on some techniques in that one too, I do believe.

Drumming_Animal

ever heard 'Tornado of Souls' by Megadeth?

at about 2.08 there is a fill with snare, toms and double bass that has hooked me onto double bass fills

have a listen and if you need me to send you the song, i can email it to you, just ask, or go on youtube