Favorite Vocalist?

TheYardstick

Personally mine is Brent SMith from Shinedown, IMO is the most talented vocalist in rock today.

So who are your favorite vocalist(s)?

PerKuhShunIst

Geoff Tate - Queensryche
James Labrie - Dreamtheater
Take 6 <<< they do not just sing harmonies they sing full orchestrations accapella

Theres more but too many to list to little time...I could be practicing.

jbreshears

maynard-tool
burton c bell- fear factory
zach de la rocha- rage against the machine(think i spelled his name wrong)
tom waits- tom waits
kurt cobain- nirvana
geddy lee-rush(i know it's weird but i love the way he sings)
Mike Patton-Fantomas,faoth no more,mr bungle, kid 606 and many other bands

Flatliner

Geddy Lee-Rush
Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin
James LaBrie-Dream Theater
Adrian Belew-King Crimson, Solo Artist
Jon Anderson-Yes
Tracy Bohnam-Solo Artist
Fiona Apple-Solo Artist
Poe-Solo Artist
Eric Burdon-The Animals
Greg Lake-Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Peter Gabriel-Genesis, Solo Artist
Tony Levin-Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Solo Artist, Studio musician.
Les Claypool-Primus, Oysterhead, Solo Artist.

ClintKelly

geddy lee from rush is the man....not gonna lie
randy blythe from lamb of god...this guys vocal chords are probaly ripped to shreads but he sounds AWESOME live
jim morrison from the doors..this guy lived music
robert plant from led zepplin..classic
zach de la rocha from rage against the machine..this guy didnt have much of a singing voice but he was one angry latino that made rock and rap music mix greatly

kind of a weird combo but theyre my main influences

sp4zium

Maynard -> has an amazing tone to his voice and has an amazing range as well... can also scream in addition which is amazing, since most screamers don't actually 'sing' as well.

Till Linderman -> singer for rammstein. basket-weaver turned heavy-metal superstar, how badass is that? (he can, like maynard, go from grating german vocals to semi-operatic german vocals on the turn of a dime... just listen to sonne if you want to know what i'm talking about...)

Frank Zappa -> just cuz he has the wierdest damn lyrics short of wierd al.

Beck -> can't really explain it... just laidback and interesting

Damon Albarn -> who doesn't love british singers? Specially when they're in blur and gorillaz?

Terja Tankien (not sure if i spelled it right) -> Nightwish... Opera + metal = badass. even more kudos for being a chick.

Trent Reznor -> I'm just a NIN fan
:wink:

Eddie Vedder -> Pearl Jam... just love the sound of his voice

Roger Waters -> Pink Floyd sounds like he lays a bit of his soul on the line whenever he sings... just so emotional and powerful...

Glenn Danzig -> doo-wop and rock. Absolute Genious.

Sting -> the police... just wierd rhythms and melodies... but it sounds awesome =D

Les Claypool -> Primus/Flying frog brigade... awesome bass skills, and lyrics almost as wierd as Frank Zappa.

Thom Yorke -> Radiohead... Haunting vocals... a bit like Roger Waters...

and to completely against the mold here, Jack Black -> Tenacious D. A comedy band with skill! Who could have imagined?

TheYardstick

Serj's voice adds a nice effect to SOAD's music. It makes it feel like a symphony and gives it a very melodic feel. I'm not too big of a fan of his voice, but it just gives a certain feeling to their music and makes it feel a little hypnotic at the same time.

Scott_Hurford

TheYardstick":w8fd3ngf said:
Serj's voice adds a nice effect to SOAD's music. It makes it feel like a symphony and gives it a very melodic feel. I'm not too big of a fan of his voice, but it just gives a certain feeling to their music and makes it feel a little hypnotic at the same time.
i agree with you there, i'm not a big fan of Serj's voice either but it does make the SOAD sound what it is. his voice is quite uniqe, rarely heard in modern music today.

chino_is_god

my favourite vocalist of all time is chino moreno of the deftones, a somewhat unorthodox choice but his grunts and growls still retain emotion, and his singing voice is fantastic - his inbuilt harmonic knowledge is astounding, something which could not be taught.

other favourites include zach de la rocha, maynard james keenan, and whoever the darkane singer is - brutal.

8]

TheYardstick

I saw a video where Chino and Lajon Whitherspoon (Sevendust) collaborated for a song, it was really cool, their voices are a perfect match.

ChrisNichols

1. Paul Rodgers - saw him with Queen, and he just jumped right up to the top of my list
2. Freddie Mercury - this bloke just had it all, mate...
3. Roger Daltrey - YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
4. Mark Knopfler - really like his gritty but melodic sorta tone
5. Brian Johnson - I seriously wish I had a voice like this guy

Honourable mentions to Ian Gillan, Robert Plant, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Sting.