Favorite Upgrade?

Scogar

I was wondering....

Everytime a drummer (or any musician) makes a purchase for his/her instrument, its always a good buy. Be it cymbals, heads, sticks...whatever.

However, are there some purchases that you favor over others? Do you like the feeling of new/different sticks or heads? Do you like experimenting with new cymbals? Are you more prone to new hardware?

For me....nothing beats a new set of heads. Once they are broken in, I could play till my arms fall off.

what about you guys?

stump

I also love new drum heads though I am a sucker for new brass! Can't get enough. Peace on ya!

Homki890

I love getting new sticks, and new toys to play around with. Got a fresh pair of Vic Firth SD4 Combo's and a Meinl Cowbell, I was playing for hours, just happy as could be.

Homki890

cableman26

I just got some new batters and resos for Christmas. Not only that but also a new Saluda Mist-x crash. That baby just sings, I love it.

bapudi

cymbals are geting old to me i want more things to bang. like a slit drums or tube toms.

maby just maby. mics in my drums to send midi signals out to trigger a sequencer like carl palmer did ^_^

okjohne

Any kind of trick stuff. The Z-Bell is sweet or the new plastic blocks. Of course cymbals but quality before quanity and both if possible. I went to a rack this year and love it.

Empyrean Drums

The best thing I've gotten lately is a clamp for my Hi hat to Bass Drum. I can't beleive I went so long without it, I fell in love all over again with my hi hat pedal.

BillRayDrums

Get a good throne. Roc-n-Soc. That's the one. The Tama seat always makes me feel like I'm falling off, the DW throne has that pleather top that makes your ass sweat, Pork Pie thrones are too thick (nightmare to pack and no back support).

The Roc-n-Soc has it all- support, the nice velour top that soaks up sweat, and it's not a mile thick. Comes in three styles (the traditional bike seat, a narrow bike seat, and a round top)

When you get a throne, don't get a nitrogen base—the kind with a lever that raises/lowers but rather a piano-style (the big screw type).

I've been on the same throne now for close to 20 years and the only thing I've had to do is replace the rubber feet. Oh, and I did put a new seat top on the base.

Did I mention that the Roc-n-Soc throne has a "seat top only"?

Your throne will make your playing better. Trust me. :)

Zim

BillRayDrums":39p8n0sn said:
Get a good throne. Roc-n-Soc. That's the one. The Tama seat always makes me feel like I'm falling off, the DW throne has that pleather top that makes your ass sweat, Pork Pie thrones are too thick (nightmare to pack and no back support).

The Roc-n-Soc has it all- support, the nice velour top that soaks up sweat, and it's not a mile thick. Comes in three styles (the traditional bike seat, a narrow bike seat, and a round top)

When you get a throne, don't get a nitrogen base—the kind with a lever that raises/lowers but rather a piano-style (the big screw type).

I've been on the same throne now for close to 20 years and the only thing I've had to do is replace the rubber feet. Oh, and I did put a new seat top on the base.

Did I mention that the Roc-n-Soc throne has a "seat top only"?

How right you are my friend. We have to be comfortable. I hate when my seat has been readjusted and I go on for a set and I'm jumping around trying to get comfortable. i have the roc-n-soc and it's the best investment i EVER put into my many kits(I have 3) 2 sonors and a yamaha e/kit

Your throne will make your playing better. Trust me. :)

m

BillRayDrums":v0n2cvk7 said:
why's that?

Brother_Bong

m":3jeyz8by said:
BillRayDrums":3jeyz8by said:
why's that?
I think it has to do with there tendency to fail (for some) altogether, and also I have heard they creep down if you bounce alot.

mute

man bill, you either work for roc-n-soc or you're just in love with those roc-n-socs. but i just got one for christmas on your recommendation, so you do a good job of selling them.

my vote goes to cymbals, since i usually don't get them until my old ones are super busted and it's much less frequent than new heads.

Brother_Bong

mute":36i61uiq said:
man bill, you either work for roc-n-soc or you're just in love with those roc-n-socs. but i just got one for christmas on your recommendation, so you do a good job of selling them.

my vote goes to cymbals, since i usually don't get them until my old ones are super busted and it's much less frequent than new heads.
Haha, true true!

m

Bong":2jhdg7w1 said:
m":2jhdg7w1 said:
BillRayDrums":2jhdg7w1 said:
why's that?
I think it has to do with there tendency to fail (for some) altogether, and also I have heard they creep down if you bounce alot.
I thought that might be the implication, but I don't find that to be the case, and I know plenty of folks who've been using that style for years without any issues at all. I would never go back to the screw-type again, personally; the nitro lift is awesome!